Wan Noor predicts demise of Prayut regime in about a year

webfact

Wan Noor predicts demise of Prayut regime in about a year

By Samatcha Hunsara 
The Nation

6c931019f9830ba382ee6596552bff97.jpeg

WAN MUHAMMAD Noor Matha

WAN MUHAMMAD Noor Matha, a former House speaker who now leads an opposition party, sees a gloomy outlook for the new government to be headed by General Prayut Chan-o-cha.

He believes the government will be short-lived.

The veteran Muslim politician, who leads the Prachachart Party, pointed out that the 19-party coalition government headed by Prayut has only a slim majority in the House of Representatives. The weakness is bound to affect stability in the coalition, he said.

“The government may be at risk of losing important votes in the Lower House, or at least failing to form a quorum,” Wan Noor said in an interview.

He believes the new government, in which Prayut will serve as prime minister for the second time, is “weak” because junta-appointed senators will be of no help in swinging vote outcomes, unlike when both Houses in a joint session voted to select the prime minister.

Wan Noor said reports of coalition partners and factions within Prayut’s Phalang Pracharat Party wrestling over Cabinet seats pointed to a further weakness in the government. 

“The head of government virtually has no bargaining power. If any coalition member withdraws, the government could collapse immediately. So the prime minister must hang on to everyone that joins his coalition.”

Without the powers he enjoyed as head of the National Council for Peace and Order, Prayut cannot keep coalition partners and MPs completely under his control when the new government takes over, Wan Noor said.

Wan Noor’s Prachachart is a member of the seven-party opposition bloc.

He said yesterday the opposition, as part of its mission to keep the government from duping the public, would set up a working group to hear citizens’ complaints and suggestions. 

It would also circulate a petition aimed at amending the Constitution, which he said favours the military junta’s retention of power.

He planned to ask Prayut in Parliament about his role in leading the military coup in May 2014, which overthrew an elected government.

“I remember well what the then-Army chief said on May 22, 2014, when he staged the coup. I will ask him about what he did at that time. He doesn’t deserve to be prime minister today,” Wan Noor said.

Asked to predict the longevity of the incoming government, Wan Noor said it could last a year, perhaps a little longer. Judging from Thai political history, he said, governments like Prayut’s are typically short-lived.

They have ended in House dissolution or counter-coups in which a pro-government military seized power just to help the premier end an unstable administration rife with infighting among coalition partners.

“But power seizures are not acceptable to the international community,” Wan Noor said.

He urged politicians to avoid giving the military any “excuse” to stage another coup by indulging in corrupt practices. Corruption has often been cited as the justification for coups in the past.

“Thai democracy still has some flaws, but it takes time for them to be rectified,” he said. “People shouldn’t vote for corrupt and bad candidates. And power outside the system should not be allowed to ‘correct’ the flaws.”

thenation_logo.jpg

4 minutes ago, webfact said:

He planned to ask Prayut in Parliament about his role in leading the military coup in May 2014, which overthrew an elected government.

That should be very interesting !

To give him a year, I think, is pretty optimistic. Too many in the opposition vying to get rid of him, and I really cannot see him being able to sensibly ward them all off.

44 minutes ago, webfact said:

But power seizures are not acceptable to the international community,” Wan Noor said.

Chair P weren't worried about that 5 yr ago .. which is one of the biggest ironies as he now wishes to be viewed as the " democratic choice " of the people .. with Wong the Watch chief glad hander at some meetings with diplo's of the Int' community recently .. 

44 minutes ago, webfact said:

Corruption has often been cited as the justification for coups in the past

On that basis another one along shortly to remove the present incorruptibles .? 

2 hours ago, webfact said:

WAN MUHAMMAD Noor Matha, a former House speaker who now leads an opposition party, sees a gloomy outlook for the new government to be headed by General Prayut Chan-o-cha.
He believes the government will be short-lived.

Hmm, I can't see how this government being short-lived could be described as 'gloomy'.

9 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Coo! Coo! I just want you
I really love the things that you do ...

Indeed :smile:

"Chains! Chains! I'm all in chains
Your love will drive me insane
Come on! Let's do it again
I really want my coo ca choo"

Given that he's still four songs short of an album, I'm concerned uncle t might try and commandeer some of these lyrics for his next hit... 

11 minutes ago, colinneil said:

This so-called government will not last long, there is another bunch of generals sitting there just itching to get their snouts in the trough.????️‍♀️

And the next top one to go to the trough is not just corrupt like the rest, he also appears to be more of  psychopath hence the high level support he receives.

3 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

That should be very interesting !

To give him a year, I think, is pretty optimistic. Too many in the opposition vying to get rid of him, and I really cannot see him being able to sensibly ward them all off.

Yes, but the reaction is going to be interesting if he actually asks the PmM to specifically outline his achievements in 5 years. What will that reactions be? Given his past behaviors I doubt he will remain calm, in fact he will probably explode explode? And will he try to gag Mr. Wan Noor or attempt to have him sent for attitude adjustment? Will be be a reaction which flies in the face of democratic principle? Made him angry enough and I suspect this is quite likely. It will be interesting indeed.

I would actually bet on it totally falling apart within 6 months, and then the strategy of removing him and ripping up the fake constitution to start pecking away. But we cannot forget he is the NCPO and he might just take the position of Minister of Defense, but it doesn't matter if he does or not as Prawit is in control and actually his boss anyway..

8 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:
12 minutes ago, Jimbo in Thailand said:

Is that even possible?   Isn't the 'new' Prime Minister General still wielding his beloved Article 44?

He has to give it up as he is now a civilian. But he has other ways to hit out.

Probably with 'a punch in the mouth'.

The very successful protest in Hong Kong will reverberate with the Thai masses. They've had enough! They got duped and they now know it. The time for action is coming.

5 minutes ago, neeray said:

The very successful protest in Hong Kong will reverberate with the Thai masses. They've had enough! They got duped and they now know it. The time for action is coming.

I'd love to agree with you, I really would. However, in reality, can I have a bottle of what you've been drinking?

49 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Yes, but the reaction is going to be interesting if he actually asks the PmM to specifically outline his achievements in 5 years. What will that reactions be? Given his past behaviors I doubt he will remain calm, in fact he will probably explode explode? And will he try to gag Mr. Wan Noor or attempt to have him sent for attitude adjustment? Will be be a reaction which flies in the face of democratic principle? Made him angry enough and I suspect this is quite likely. It will be interesting indeed.

I'm pretty sure Prayut is exempted from participating whenever he feels like it. There will not be any chance of confronting or question him. 

Whoever thinks the basic principles of the house will be applied is naive. 

–—

1 minute ago, Lenny Jones said:

What is it he wants? - Power? Glory? Personal wealth?  (he's had 5 years to accumulate that)

The big "Power" thing little Napoleon always craved as unelected junta leader PM was international recognition.   Since it always eluded him—like a daily slap in his narcissistic face—he simply had to get himself elected.  Now that he's 'duly elected' in a 'free and fair' erection he can enjoy that previously MIA 'worldwide' adulation.

Article 44?  - I wouldn't bet 1 satang it's really gone away.  

16 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I'd love to agree with you, I really would. However, in reality, can I have a bottle of what you've been drinking?

Watch !

(And this time, I am not referring to Prawit "watch")

“Thai democracy still has some flaws, but it takes time for them to be rectified,”

“Thai democracy still has some flaws?" I think I live in a different country then.

If Khun Prayuth can still use his # 44, considering his brother with the numberless house and Khun Naligaar can continue with his Rolex fetish without a declaration from where they are, there is no democracy. 

What happened to the Land of Smiles? Smiles became lies and real smiles are not visible anymore. 

47 minutes ago, Lenny Jones said:

No he has not given up.  This morning's BKK Post reports him as continuing to use the military to "support his vision for Thailand.

In my eyes - that means a general who led a coupe is now running a military dictatorship. 

What is it he wants? - Power? Glory? Personal wealth?  (he's had 5 years to accumulate that)

He has not quite started work under the new rules in the new house so he still flexes the 44 power until then. I believe it starts this Thursday?  If he tries to use or keep article 44 after this Thursday, he will be more than in for a lesson and just may need to pull an immediate coup. I did not say give up as he has no intention to ever do that and will use the military, NCPO and what ever means he can do to belittle and scare and force his way on to all.. He wants to protect the military hard rule and the old Elite how Thailand has always been, and there is nothing more to it than that. Yes with this control comes all the wealth too as the generals sit on every major corporation's and ministries board. It is sort of like a dictatorship posed to all in the public out right way, but remember there is a Privy council of Elite Generals that controls him, and even Prawit is higher and his boss.

Archived