BANGKOK 18 August 2019 04:01
webfact

Giant drains ‘will not prevent floods’ in Bangkok

2 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

at least the new elevated trains will run on time. 

Maybe they could replace the submarines when they become flooded/submerged!

34 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

As far as I can see the only solution is to lower the sea level a few metres. This would require a barrier from Pattaya to Hua Hin. The trapped water could then be drained and the situation of excess water easily managed.

I don't hold with the idea that all the buildings in BKK be lifted up by 10 metres. Far too costly and technically difficult and would also take too long.

The obvious plan, politically, is to move all government and public structures to another area. Udon Thani has been mooted in the past.

How come you have gained access to this secret plan to lower the sea level - who do you know in the government here?

I'm all for moving everything to Udon, my wife can make loadsa dosh buying land before they get here. What time will they be leaving?

• Haha 2

How can a condo build a water tank underneath it ?  It needs that piece of land for the building to sit on and for piling.  Try and find any piece of land in Bangkok where you could build huge water retaining tanks. The guy is dreaming about an unworkable idea,

5 hours ago, webfact said:

wastewater from one big condo project in the heart of the capital is enough to fill up a canal

That explains the odour of the canal waters!

7 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

How come you have gained access to this secret plan to lower the sea level - who do you know in the government here?

I'm all for moving everything to Udon, my wife can make loadsa dosh buying land before they get here. What time will they be leaving?

I suggest relocating the capital to Chiang Mai - two reasons:  1.  Higher elevation and 2.  Centralising pollution!

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

So long as the lady boys go South to Pattaya when they move, we already have enough of them in Udon already and I think Central Plaza is now fully staffed 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Ah yes!! Wouldn't you like to know?! Well i'll give you a hint,,,,,,.

Suffice it to say that this bar girl, I once was friends with, had a pal in the government's, 20 year plan for Thailand, department (water section).

I've already put my dosh down. Glad you are thinking positively. Get on board this money-spinner before the rise in prices spike beyond our reach. And, just to add that there is a direct correlation between the sinking of BKK to the rise in land prices in Udon province.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Ah yes!! Wouldn't you like to know?! Well i'll give you a hint,,,,,,.

Suffice it to say that this bar girl, I once was friends with, had a pal in the government's, 20 year plan for Thailand, department (water section).

I've already put my dosh down. Glad you are thinking positively. Get on board this money-spinner before the rise in prices spike beyond our reach. And, just to add that there is a direct correlation between the sinking of BKK to the rise in land prices in Udon province.

A twenty year plan by the government? I bet most disbelievers had eyes as wide as your bar girl friend's legs.

So the lower the land sinks in Bangkok, the higher the Udon land price.

I do remember now, it's called Somchai's law, showing how one is inversely proportional to the other.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

A twenty year plan by the government? I bet most disbelievers had eyes as wide as your bar girl friend's legs.

So the lower the land sinks in Bangkok, the higher the Udon land price.

I do remember now, it's called Somchai's law, showing how one is inversely proportional to the other.

Very droll Bluesofa.

You are not without a hint of humour and I like that in a poster. But on a serious note; this bar girl I once knew has moved on to better and bigger things. In fact she is making me a cup of Rosy right now.

And as for your mathematical suggestions, you are nearly there, except that it's; one mm of BKK sinking = 10% rise in Udon land prices.

• Like 1

I must take some pics of the drains being put into a road near us, been going on for months. The drains themselves are in concrete blocks, but are all 18 inches to two feet above the road surface. Everyone is watching to see if they will be ripped out again or the road raised up, if they did that all the businesses would be inaccessible.

Politicians know that water flows from north to south. It was a problem in Western Australia too...

89d451342815aeb49e040fdbbb7fc918.jpeg

looks like a recipe for sinkholes 

2 hours ago, jaiyen said:

How can a condo build a water tank underneath it ?  It needs that piece of land for the building to sit on and for piling. 

See schematic - shows tank being fed by two buildings lies below an adjacent or nearby open space area suggesting a public park.

But I doubt there's enough current open spaces and potential areas for open spaces in Bangkok that can handle all the necessary water tank storage areas for all its buildings.