US Navy veteran locked up in Thai prison, family pleas for help

webfact

US Navy veteran locked up in Thai prison, family pleas for help

By The Thaiger

Screen-Shot-2019-06-16-at-14.40.55.jpg

by Lauren Talarico

A US Navy veteran from Texas remains locked up in a Thai prison for something his family says he didn’t do. Derrick Keller was arrested on August 20, 2018. But his family says the allegations against him are not true and they desperately want him home.

Derrick Keller’s family doesn’t know what to do next after their cries for help from politicians and lawyers have gone unanswered. They fear if something doesn’t happen fast Keller could spend the rest of his life in a Thai prison. 44 year old Derrick Keller is from Richmond, Texas. He is a son, a husband, a father to two kids and a Navy veteran.

“He was always a jokester,” his father said. “Always liked to make people laugh.”

“He’s the best man I’ve ever known,” said his 19 year old son Mark Keller.

But Derrick is 16,000 kilometres away behind bars at the notorious Klong Prem Prison in Bangkok.

“We are still in shock,” said Debra. “We still can’t fathom what’s taking place”

In 2015 Keller and his wife Tanya moved to China with their children. Tanya was offered a job she couldn’t pass up as the lead dance instructor at Shenzhen Dance Academy.

Derrick gave up his trucking company in East Bernard and worked odd jobs in China. He tended bar, coached a baseball team and persued acting, a childhood passion. In 2016 the family says a recruiter reached out to him about a company looking for a “Western face.” It was called Eagle Gates Group.

“The company was represented as completely legit,” his brother-in-law Ryan Murray explained. “Totally legal. It would just be an acting opportunity.”

Over six months, Keller acted in several corporate videos. His family says he was paid $15,000 to do so. After the job was complete, he told family he never heard from the company again, until a vacation to Thailand last August. Keller was arrested after he and his wife landed in Thailand for a vacation.

“They got off the plane and had a lot of Thailand police officers waiting for them,” Murray explained.

Thai media reported his arrest and claimed he was part of a Ponzi scheme which defrauded investors of millions of dollars.

“An American actor staying in Phuket as a tourist has been arrested in connection with a multinational scam operation based in Singapore that has allegedly defrauded Thai investors of 235 million baht.”

“I think at first they thought it was just a misunderstanding,” Murray said. “And it turned out to be something much worse.”

Keller was arrested on August 20, 2018. One day later he called his father to tell him he was being detained.

“That’s the last I’ve heard from him,” his dad said through tears. “That’s the last time I heard his voice. Been bad. Horrible. Absolutely horrible. I mean, like I said, I haven’t heard him. God knows I love my son.”

Watch a Texas TV report about the story HERE

Screen-Shot-2019-06-16-at-14.40.36.jpg

No family member has seen or talked to Keller since he has been in prison.

“I’m always scared that I’m just going to wake up to the worst information I’ve ever heard,” cried his son, Mark.

“That something beyond horrific about this has happened to my dad like maybe he’s died in incarceration or something. It’s the uncertainty that really kills me.”

“The prison that he’s in is notorious for human rights violations,” Murray explained.

“There’s a lot of bribery. It’s very corrupt. He’s sleeping on concrete, sharing a cell with 50 other people.”

c1_1379591_171215164912_620x413-1024x682

Deputy DSI chief Songsak Raksakskul (left) and DSI chief Paisit Wongmuang brief the media on the arrest of 10 suspects in the alleged Eagle Gates Group investment fraud, at the DSI offices in Bangkok.

Missionaries have related to the family that Derrick’s lost 30 kilos in 10 months. The family says they’ve provided proof that Derrick is innocent and was simply an actor in a corporate video. They claim they’ve reached out to President Trump, Senator Ted Cruz, Senator John Cornyn and a long list of other local politicians but haven’t been offered any help.

“The country called… he answered,” said his father, a Vietnam veteran.

“When the country called… I answered. And now we call and we don’t get an answer.”

Derrick Keller’s trial date is set for July. He’s facing 35 years in prison.

“During questioning, Keelor told officers that he was an actor working in China, and was hired by a Singaporean to be Executive Director of Eagle Gates Group Co Ltd in order to build credibility and reputation for the company. The DSI noted that they would investigate Kellor’s role further.

The DSI also reported that their investigations had discovered more than 1 billion baht in investment had been transferred out of the victim’s bank accounts.” – Bangkok Post

“The court itself, from what we’ve been able to find out from lawyers and our own research, has a 95% conviction rate,” Murray said.

“We’ve been told that if he admits guilt they will be easier on him and that it’s not worth fighting against. Derrick is a man of integrity… I do not see him admitting to a crime he didn’t commit so that has me worried.”

A change.org petition has been started. To help, click HERE.

Source: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/crime/us-navy-veteran-locked-up-in-thai-prison-family-pleas-for-help

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, webfact said:

During questioning, Keelor told officers that he was an actor working in China, and was hired by a Singaporean to be Executive Director of Eagle Gates Group Co Ltd in order to build credibility and reputation for the company.

If this is true, it doesn't help his case. Whether acting or not, it seems he presented himself as a participant, a very important one at that. 

Very strange that this man is being treated very differently to the hundreds of ATM thieves and the many cold calling, boiler rooms fraudsters who got caught over the years and who fleeced many millions of Thais and foreigners, those people are usually been sent back to their respective countries after a deal worked out, so why this guy is different?...

42 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Very strange that this man is being treated very differently to the hundreds of ATM thieves and the many cold calling, boiler rooms fraudsters who got caught over the years and who fleeced many millions of Thais and foreigners, those people are usually been sent back to their respective countries after a deal worked out, so why this guy is different?...

Maybe because it´s not millions, but 1 billion instead. However, I must agree to the strange circumstances that he is remanded to the worst prison before sentencing. According to me he would be out on bail, preparing his defense like most other suspects. On the other hand, maybe his wife and family can´t pay or he was denied bail out of the gigantic amount connected to the criminal offense.

It would be nice if people stop believing that there are something as golden pants, that will bring you great fortune almost for free. I guess he should have been checking up what he signed up for. Sounds to me he will have a hard time getting out of this. of course, there is always the chance that he is guilty and knew exactly what he was doing too.

1 hour ago, Curt1591 said:

If this is true, it doesn't help his case. Whether acting or not, it seems he presented himself as a participant, a very important one at that. 

He's obviously guilty... The fact the news try's to spin it off as though he's not is upsetting.

I hope he gets the max sentence.

I googled Eagle Gates group and it turns out it's been a known Ponzi scheme for a long time.

I guess his whole family is in denial...

10 minutes ago, tominbkk said:

He did not question this company making him pose as the ED?  And what was he actually saying as he 'acted'?  Sounds like a big swindle, and that he didn't know this was going to be perpetrated in Thailand?  Oops.

I’ve heard that not uncommon for Chinese companies to hire westerners to play (as an actor) the role of a board member etc to improve image. Sounds like this crowd had him open a bank account too; that’s where he went wrong.

10 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

I’ve heard that not uncommon for Chinese companies to hire westerners to play (as an actor) the role of a board member etc to improve image. Sounds like this crowd had him open a bank account too; that’s where he went wrong.

If he was acting as a director that is one thing if he agreed to be a director then he is responsible for the company actions and is guilty.

Hard to believe that one single farang in China set up and perpetrated a scam of this magnitude. Sounds more like he has been/is being set up (with the enthusiastic cooperation of the Thai police) to take the fall for a whole collection of Chinese scammers.

56 minutes ago, SanookTeufel said:

He's obviously guilty... The fact the news try's to spin it off as though he's not is upsetting.

I googled Eagle Gates group and it turns out it's been a known Ponzi scheme for a long time.

https://behindmlm.com/companies/eagle-gates-group-ponzi-scammers-arrested-in-thailand/

This is on the web since 2017 , if he was doing the same kind of acting i can understand the punishment.

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

Strange? There's a difference between ATM theft and a million dollar fraud scam

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

Guilt !!!!!  until he can prove his innocence, right??

17 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

Something is fishy here. 

You don't get sent to Klong Prem before sentence. 

Maybe you do if the BIB think you have access to multi-million funds and would be willing to part with a lot of dosh to get out. The guy seems to have been rather naive but that won't save him unfortunately.

The Thailand criminal justice system does not care if he is innocent or guilty. They care about the perceptions of foreigners regarding Thailand's image and viability as a tourist destination. And if they have to jam up innocent people for life or for a death sentence, they will do it. 

Very true that Chinese firms hire westerners to present a western face and credibility to eastern investors....

yes, a spokesperson, a PR, a marketer, a model, etc and be innocent of knowingly know business intentions 

the problem to me lies where he allowed monies to flow in and out of his bank accounts that is not his money....stupid on his part b/c now he is part of the scam...

if true, he became one of them even w/o knowledge of the scam...he should have questioned and denied to have any financial involvement other than receive a deposit/payment for his speaking part/role...

1 hour ago, SanookTeufel said:
2 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

Ah an expert has spoken. :biggrin:    Powerful post and let me take this opportunity to welcome  you here on Thai visa forum as you enter your  second month as a member. 

From the article, there is no way for anyone to know whether he is guilty or not. Hopefully he will get a fair trial and the truth, whatever it is, will come out. But it is a reminder that if you are a foreigner, you have no rights in any of these 3rd world SEA countries. Its up to the traveller to decide if it is worth one of the many risks involved in touring these run by the seat of the pants countries. Buyer beware.

What amazes me, they still find greedy suckers.

Used to get a lot of calls from suave talking boiler room guys, always happy to meet them in a very difficult to get to and return from location ( ie 6 pm meeting @ restaurant deep in a soi in Chaengwattana). The dumb ones call back for a second appointment

I guess I have been struck of the list now

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Archived