US Navy veteran locked up in Thai prison, family pleas for help

webfact

54 minutes ago, Hayduke said:

Hard to believe that one single farang in China set up and perpetrated a scam of this magnitude. Sounds more like he has been/is being set up (with the enthusiastic cooperation of the Thai police) to take the fall for a whole collection of Chinese scammers.

What has the Thai police to do with it? He signed a contract to be the director, brought this shit on himself by himself. 

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has he been charged with any crimes?

If so, where?

If he has been charged for crimes in Thailand, has he been tried?

Or is he being held before extradition?

All quite confusing.

Some articles mention that he is being held on pre-trial detention. which the Criminal Court continues to extend without action.

Based on a quick read, it seems like this group of Singaporeans bilked some upper-crust Thais (probably looking to launder their corrupt money and/or beat the market) out of a lot of money. Hence the Thai DSI is "on the case". Singapore doesn't seem willing to extradite these folks to Thailand, and it seems like Keller is a bit of a pawn, yes, he "acted" in a video, and at a launch party in Pattaya. 

Quite a few articles from August 2018.

It seems that US homeland security helped the Thais track the guy down so no wonder no politicians in the states are making any noise. 

The idiot thing he did was to allow them to open a bank account in his name as whether he likes it not he’s responsible. 

In Addition as a US citizen I doubt he filed a FBAR report on that bank account to the IRS so that’s 10 years in Jail and a $500,000 fine plus a penalty equal to 100% of the highest balance of the account. I’d say even if he gets back to the states the IRS is going to have a field day with him.

9 minutes ago, AJBangkok said:

It seems that US homeland security helped the Thais track the guy down so no wonder no politicians in the states are making any noise. 

He was arrested when he arrived in Thailand.

10 minutes ago, AJBangkok said:

In Addition as a US citizen I doubt he filed a FBAR report on that bank account to the IRS so that’s 10 years in Jail and a $500,000 fine plus a penalty equal to 100% of the highest balance of the account. I’d say even if he gets back to the states the IRS is going to have a field day with him.

Somebody's being a but over-dramatic.

If he had any money you can be sure the DSI would have extracted already, they are quite efficient at this. He doesn't, and they haven't.

Like most of these massive international financial scandals, those at the top of the pyramid can afford to pay protection. Others, at the bottom rot in a Thai prison.

15 minutes ago, AJBangkok said:

so no wonder no politicians in the states are making any noise

Jho Low was smart enough to "donate" to the trump campaign. ????

50 minutes ago, soistalker said:

Questions:

If he scammed $52million USD from thai investors, why would he be so stupid as to vacation in Thailand?

Wouldn't he know that the fraud was being investigated?

Ignorant is probably the correct word.  He signed up to be Executive Director for the company, without knowing that it was a Ponzi scheme. He is far from the first foreigner being lured into being Executive Director in a company, without knowing what it is all about. It seemed to be a dream job, being paid director salary, for just a little acting and signing a contract.  

Signing up as a director, is not something you should just do, without a trusted lawyer to review the contract.  Letting others use your bank account is a no go in any situation.

1 hour ago, SanookTeufel said:

He's obviously guilty... The fact the news try's to spin it off as though he's not is upsetting.

I hope he gets the max sentence.

I googled Eagle Gates group and it turns out it's been a known Ponzi scheme for a long time.

I guess his whole family is in denial...

I guess in your world no need for evidence huh? Or fair trial?

2 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Maybe because it´s not millions, but 1 billion instead. However, I must agree to the strange circumstances that he is remanded to the worst prison before sentencing. According to me he would be out on bail, preparing his defense like most other suspects. On the other hand, maybe his wife and family can´t pay or he was denied bail out of the gigantic amount connected to the criminal offense.

It would be nice if people stop believing that there are something as golden pants, that will bring you great fortune almost for free. I guess he should have been checking up what he signed up for. Sounds to me he will have a hard time getting out of this. of course, there is always the chance that he is guilty and knew exactly what he was doing too.

Well I would bet dollars to donuts that the scammers took someone in the family of a very important HiSo or government personage.

So he is getting the book thrown at him in the thai fashion. And no one on his side has the dish or understanding of how or where to apply teamoney.

Poor SOB, is in it deep. It does sound like he had no clue what was happening as he entered Thailand and the BiB descended.

1 minute ago, Bipolar said:

No excuses, give him the max sentence and hopefully he perishes in prison. He cannot deny he did not know what he was doing was indirectly fraud and it also ended with innocent people losing their savings etc. 

The goal here is not to punish anyone, it is to recover some of the money. Keller has essentially been kidnapped and is being held for ransom. This is how the Thais, overseeing this endeavor, think. But no one is going to pay a ransom for Keller because he's not a player.

The Thais were greedy, got bilked, now they want some of their money back. This isn't the first time this has happened here, it won't be the last. They should let it go, and get back to what they do best, steal more money from the peasants. How many freakin' Rolls Royces can you drive at any one time anyway?

43 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

If his family says he's innocent and he was once in the Navy, he should be released immediately!

Some relevant information here:

https://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30352718

Yes what is it with americans and people in service.. they act like they are holey or something like that. Always bring up service.. its just a job someone chooses does not make them an angel if any it could damage them mentally. PSTD 

This guy admitted that he was acting and the vid was used to defraud people.. clearly fraud. Only question is did he know or not. 

5 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

The goal here is not to punish anyone, it is to recover some of the money. Keller has essentially been kidnapped and is being held for ransom. This is how the Thais, overseeing this endeavor, think. But no one is going to pay a ransom for Keller because he's not a player.

The Thais were greedy, got bilked, now they want some of their money back. This isn't the first time this has happened here, it won't be the last. They should let it go, and get back to what they do best, steal more money from the peasants. How many freakin' Rolls Royces can you drive at any one time anyway?

Yea sure the American was innocent.. i guess i dont have to guess what nationallity you are. 

Someone acts in a video video used to defraud people... I mean the guy is either dumb or in on it. 

42 minutes ago, wisperone said:

From the article, there is no way for anyone to know whether he is guilty or not. Hopefully he will get a fair trial and the truth, whatever it is, will come out. But it is a reminder that if you are a foreigner, you have no rights in any of these 3rd world SEA countries. Its up to the traveller to decide if it is worth one of the many risks involved in touring these run by the seat of the pants countries. Buyer beware.

A reasonable summation of the limited facts presented - would add that unless you have a strong asset backing, every one including locals are at risk.

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

Very strange that this man is being treated very differently to the hundreds of ATM thieves and the many cold calling, boiler rooms fraudsters who got caught over the years and who fleeced many millions of Thais and foreigners, those people are usually been sent back to their respective countries after a deal worked out, so why this guy is different?...

Not strange at all, Boiler rooms fraudsters don't target Thais and majority of ATM thieves steal from people of overseas bank accounts not Thai people bank accounts.. He is going to do a lot of time in prison because that company stole from Thais so he is screwed.

8 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

So if you are greedy and get scammed, then you do not have the right to get your money back. If you ain´t greedy and see an opportunity, bet your life savings and get scammed, then there should be another law for that? Is that what you are saying dear, mtls2005?

10 minutes ago, boonrawdcnx said:

So he was hired as an actor -allegedly not knowing that the company was defrauding others.

Giving his background I tend to believe him. Also if he was aware that the company - in who’s (advertising?) video he acted was defrauding Thais - why would he come here on vacation? One would think he would stay well clear of this country!

And last but not least with reputation of the Thai judiciary, corrupt police and especially the DSI which was exposed in the past of being a crime syndicate itself - it looks like the Thais have gotten it all wrong again!

And what is it in this country that has coup makers committing treason, corrupt crooks, fraudsters and murderers with connections running around free or out on bail while others committing much lesser crimes or are in fact innocent are rotting away in any international standard defying shit-holes they call prisons? - Presumed innocent waiting for years until their case reaches one of their kangaroo courts while being taken to the cleaners by corrupt officials and greedy lawyers.

If he was simple a paid actor in one of the companies advertising videos ( I assume they advertised “investment” opportunities?) then he very likely was not involved in whatever fraud they committed. People who are planning to defraud others are not very likely to act in advertising videos exposing themselves aren’t they?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I would believe this theory IF

it was 1 time gig where he read some nonsense script that they dub over in some another language. 

It can happen..and they will tell you nothing about the product or actual script that will be dubbed over your face and footage.

but even in any case any normal person would be suspicious, no?

But in this case other reports saying he did "promo" gigs over 6 months AND he was payed $15,000 into a account they fixed for him because they wanted to hide the money trail?. (and he did not wonder why)

But this going on for 6 months and get paid $15k??

The guy must of known something fishy going on.

Six months to check up what company and what they are doing.

unless he is a complete idiot

I cant believe they could hide the whole thing from him over 6 months

1 hour ago, MaxYakov said:

Don't they give you one phone call in Thai prisons/jails? Maybe KP doesn't have any phones.

a guy who I did not know was put in this place, for NOT having his passport on his person.

I was told that he was only 41 yrs old and he committed suicide due to the appalling conditions !!

More than just an actor. During questioning, Keelor told officers that he was an actor working in China, and was hired by a Singaporean to be Executive Director of Eagle Gates Group Co Ltd in order to build credibility and reputation for the company.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/dsi-arrests-american-in-phuket-over-b235mn-fraud-scam-68333.php#q6rdMmisglcxgGk1.99

"Thai media reported his arrest and claimed he was part of a Ponzi scheme which defrauded investors of millions of dollars. "

Interesting, can't seem to find any mention of Eagle Gates Group in the fraud section on the Thai SEC website:  https://market.sec.or.th/public/idisc/en/InvestorAlert

If investment fraud has occured and Thai law has been violated, shouldn't DSI have at least informed the Thai SEC of this dangerous group?

https://behindmlm.com/companies/eagle-gates-group-ponzi-scammers-arrested-in-thailand/

Reading this I'd have to say the man is as guilty as hell.

After launching about a year ago in late 2016, Eagle Gates Group collapsed in April, 2017.

In May Eagle Gates Group tried to relaunch as Sener Trader, only to collapse again a few months later in July.

Update 23rd August 2018 – Thai authorities have arrested Derrick Matthew Keller, who was allegedly hired to pose as Eagle Gates Group CEO Eddy McClough.

Inflammatory posts and replies have been removed. 

A post containing derogatory comments toward the Thai judicial system has been removed as per the following forum rules:

2) You will not use ThaiVisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, inaccurate, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.

You also agree not to post negative comments criticizing the legal proceedings or judgments of any Thai court of law.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

12 minutes ago, tingtongtourist said:

I would believe this theory IF

it was 1 time gig where he read some nonsense script that they dub over in some another language. 

It can happen..and they will tell you nothing about the product or actual script that will be dubbed over your face and footage.

but even in any case any normal person would be suspicious, no?

But in this case other reports saying he did "promo" gigs over 6 months AND he was payed $15,000 into a account they fixed for him because they wanted to hide the money trail?. (and he did not wonder why)

But this going on for 6 months and get paid $15k??

The guy must of known something fishy going on.

Six months to check up what company and what they are doing.

unless he is a complete idiot

I cant believe they could hide the whole thing from him over 6 months

Sure they could.

2 hours ago, tominbkk said:

He did not question this company making him pose as the ED?  And what was he actually saying as he 'acted'?  Sounds like a big swindle, and that he didn't know this was going to be perpetrated in Thailand?  Oops.

If you are promoting something that can be used illegally, does it matter if it will be shown in Thailand or used in Columbia? No, it does not! You just say no, and don´t do it.To me it sounds that he know exactly what he was doing, and took a stupid and enourmous chance for a possible great economical gain.

Archived