US Navy veteran locked up in Thai prison, family pleas for help

webfact

6 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

Sure they can.

I believe even in the US not knowing the law and stupidity are not an excuse. People are expected to know certain things. I would say in this case the guy is toast. 

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder how many here would agree to do what this man did?  Acting is playing a role in a theatre or movie, what he did was to pretend he actually was the CEO of a company, by participating in a fake CNN interview and then attending the launch ceremony while still posing as that CEO.  A launch ceremony that had the intention of getting people to part with millions of dollars.  This is not acting, it is fraud.  And, while it can be argued whether his current incarceration fits the crime, the fact is there is recorded evidence of this man claiming to be the CEO of a fraudulent business, being present when people are asked to pay millions into 'his' company, with the clear intent to rob them of that money.  Whether he knew about the latter or not, surely he had some questions over why such a company needed a fake CEO, and the morality of pretending to be that person?  Why would he go along with it?  Greed?  Stupidity?

"The gang then created a website and a fake clip of CNN interviewing Keller about the trading firm. Keller was told to follow a prepared script, the officer said.

Then the gang held a launch ceremony at the Royal Cliff Beach Pattaya during which Keller was flown in on a helicopter to the function held at the hotel's poolside with a concert by well-known singers."

image.png.fd69a6a7b2efffdf4da658fa73d78407.png

https://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30352718

9 minutes ago, Bangkok Basha said:

More than just an actor. During questioning, Keelor told officers that he was an actor working in China, and was hired by a Singaporean to be Executive Director of Eagle Gates Group Co Ltd in order to build credibility and reputation for the company.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/dsi-arrests-american-in-phuket-over-b235mn-fraud-scam-68333.php#q6rdMmisglcxgGk1.99

That's what actors do. Why do you think they have "celebrity endorsements"? To lend credibility to the enterprise of course. Now, in America a celebritycould do a lot of due diligence to see if the company or product he was endorsing is legit, but in China, everything's pretty much a black box.

1 minute ago, ballpoint said:

I wonder how many here would agree to do what this man did?  Acting is playing a role in a theatre or movie, what he did was to pretend he actually was the CEO of a company, by participating in a fake CNN interview and then attending the launch ceremony while still posing as that CEO.  A launch ceremony that had the intention of getting people to part with millions of dollars.  This is not acting, it is fraud.  And, while it can be argued whether his current incarceration fits the crime, the fact is there is recorded evidence of this man claiming to be the CEO of a fraudulent business, being present when people are asked to pay millions into 'his' company, with the clear intent to rob them of that money.  Whether he knew about the latter or not, surely he had some questions over why such a company needed a fake CEO, and the morality of pretending to be that person?  Why would he go along with it?  Greed?  Stupidity?

"The gang then created a website and a fake clip of CNN interviewing Keller about the trading firm. Keller was told to follow a prepared script, the officer said.

Then the gang held a launch ceremony at the Royal Cliff Beach Pattaya during which Keller was flown in on a helicopter to the function held at the hotel's poolside with a concert by well-known singers."

image.png.fd69a6a7b2efffdf4da658fa73d78407.png

https://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30352718

I think you put down so far the strongest case for his guilt well done.

11 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

If you are promoting something that can be used illegally, does it matter if it will be shown in Thailand or used in Columbia? No, it does not! You just say no, and don´t do it.To me it sounds that he know exactly what he was doing, and took a stupid and enourmous chance for a possible great economical gain.

What great economical gain? He earned a pittance.

1 minute ago, lannarebirth said:

That's what actors do. Why do you think they have "celebrity endorsements"? To lend credibility to the enterprise of course. Now, in America a celebritycould do a lot of due diligence to see if the company or product he was endorsing is legit, but in China, everything's pretty much a black box.

Yes a fake CNN interview is not fishy at all ... that is not acting that is fraud. How many celebrities have done fake CNN interviews ?

8 minutes ago, robblok said:

I believe even in the US not knowing the law and stupidity are not an excuse. People are expected to know certain things. I would say in this case the guy is toast. 

Sure, he should be charged with whatever law he has actually violated. Looks to me like he's just a fallguy for some powerful people.  He may be stupid, but don't think he's some sort of Wolves of Wall Street type.  Doubt he speaks or reads Thai or Chinese, or would have the ability to set the boilerroom up and run it.

9 minutes ago, robblok said:

He may very well be toast, but tell me how a low end expat would vet a business from Singapore as a recent arrival in China, likely not speaking the language at all.

4 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

If this is true, it doesn't help his case. Whether acting or not, it seems he presented himself as a participant, a very important one at that. 

Was he made a scapegoat by the Singaporean company?

yes, there are many Ponzi schemes in Singapore.

During questioning, Keelor told officers that he was an actor working in China, and was hired by a Singaporean to be Executive Director of Eagle Gates Group Co Ltd in order to build credibility and reputation for the company. The DSI noted that they would investigate Kellor’s role further.

Looks like that was huge mistake. Never, ever sign papers you do not understand, and never sign important legal documents, without the advice of someone who does understand them. The authorities here are very lazy, and always look for an easy mark, rather than do the proper investigative work, and find the real culprits. Besides, the real culprits could be people they do not want to arrest. 

9 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Does every Caucasian qualify for "white monkey" jobs?

"Hey folks, here's an unemployed Loh Fahn from Texas, adding prestige to our company."

?

It's not as uncommon as you think.  I'm neither unemployed nor from Texas, yet over the years have had various people/firms approach me to be a front person for their operation.  Even random requests to be a "Western actor" for various ads.  I've been around the block, there's no way I'd go there. But I can imagine someone more naive might bite.

3 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

I’ve heard that not uncommon for Chinese companies to hire westerners to play (as an actor) the role of a board member etc to improve image. Sounds like this crowd had him open a bank account too; that’s where he went wrong.

Very true. Has happened to me in China and also twice in Thailand. This guy might not be guilty and just doing what he needs to make ends meet in a naive manner. 

22 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes a fake CNN interview is not fishy at all ... that is not acting that is fraud. How many celebrities have done fake CNN interviews ?

But I thought somewhere it later said it was not him that played the CEO.

Seems to have a different shaped head.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Keelor told officers that he was an actor working in China, and was hired by a Singaporean to be Executive Director of Eagle Gates Group Co Ltd in order to build credibility and reputation for the company. 

You are not an "actor" unless you work for a TV , Theater, or Movie company.

You take a job with a Corporation to be in their videos, then you are a Spokesman for that business, 

3 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Maybe because it´s not millions, but 1 billion instead. However, I must agree to the strange circumstances that he is remanded to the worst prison before sentencing. According to me he would be out on bail, preparing his defense like most other suspects. On the other hand, maybe his wife and family can´t pay or he was denied bail out of the gigantic amount connected to the criminal offense.

It would be nice if people stop believing that there are something as golden pants, that will bring you great fortune almost for free. I guess he should have been checking up what he signed up for. Sounds to me he will have a hard time getting out of this. of course, there is always the chance that he is guilty and knew exactly what he was doing too.

Simple explanation is that there is more to the story than being told.

Far as I know, in the USA, if one takes part in a crime and a partner shoots and kills someone, even though one never used a gun in the commission of the crime, one is as guilty as the one that fired.

So by taking part in the scam, he is as guilty as the ones that actually did it.

Tell me if I'm wrong.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Far as I know, in the USA, if one takes part in a crime and a partner shoots and kills someone, even though one never used a gun in the commission of the crime, one is as guilty as the one that fired.

So by taking part in the scam, he is as guilty as the ones that actually did it.

Tell me if I'm wrong.

I think you're describing a patsy. And he sure sounds like one. Went to China to make a fortune, he thought, and what looked like it was too good to be true was that.

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Tell me if I'm wrong.

You are only right if he KNEW it was a criminal enterprise.  He must have the mens rea, state of mind.  If he was duped and knew nothing about the criminal aspect and only thought he was a paid actor, then he is not guilty under US law.  If he knew his employers were running an illegal enterprise and he willingly took part in furthering it, no matter how little his part, then he's guilty.

8 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Tell me if I'm wrong.

Of course, That was my belief too. Regarding a murder compared to economical crimes the length of sentence between the part takers usually differ a lot more, though. 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

During questioning, Keelor told officers that he was an actor working in China, and was hired by a Singaporean to be Executive Director of Eagle Gates Group Co Ltd in order to build credibility and reputation for the company. The DSI noted that they would investigate Kellor’s role further.

The DSI also reported that their investigations had discovered more than 1 billion baht in investment had been transferred out of the victim’s bank accounts.” – Bangkok Post

Good luck disproving the above!

14 minutes ago, The Preacher said:

"Missionaries have related to the family that Derrick’s lost 30 kilos in 10 months."

I could probably use a stint in that place myself.  

You're welcome open all hours

Archived