US Navy veteran locked up in Thai prison, family pleas for help

webfact

He seems to be the fallguy. What's being done regarding the real masterminds, I wonder. Do they get away with just pinning it on some patsy? That seems to be a crime in and of itself.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Misty said:

He seems to be the fallguy. What's being done regarding the real masterminds, I wonder. Do they get away with just pinning it on some patsy? That seems to be a crime in and of itself.

Thats normal in Thailand who's going to take the Rap

16 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

The proof is in the article which said he was paid $15,000 for his work.

Please?? It stands that: "His family says he was paid $15,000 to do so". Exactly what weight does that have compared to investigative facts? To me your comment sounds like you are working for the defense. That´s what is to be called theoritical facts, that has to be investigated further. 

After reading this "“The court itself, from what we’ve been able to find out from lawyers and our own research, has a 95% conviction rate,” Murray said." it sounds to me that what you try to hold on to regarding what the family said, might be all rubbish.

However, there is no relevans in if he made 5 dollar or 5 billion. What it comes down to is that he put himself in the crosshair, by blindly believe somebody would be just willing to give a totally unknown man the reign of a company as 
Executive Director of Eagle Gates Group Co Ltd. That just because they were in the need of a western face to promote the company. That´s pure stupidity! Normally a company hire educated and professional people to make commercial videos.

The whole story is so unbelieivable and have so many holes, at the same time as people normally use common knowledge regarding their choices in life. In clear that means he knew a lot more what it was all about.

11 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Please?? It stands that: "His family says he was paid $15,000 to do so". Exactly what weight does that have compared to investigative facts? To me your comment sounds like you are working for the defense. That´s what is to be called theoritical facts, that has to be investigated further. 

After reading this "“The court itself, from what we’ve been able to find out from lawyers and our own research, has a 95% conviction rate,” Murray said." it sounds to me that what you try to hold on to regarding what the family said, might be all rubbish.

However, there is no relevans in if he made 5 dollar or 5 billion. What it comes down to is that he put himself in the crosshair, by blindly believe somebody would be just willing to give a totally unknown man the reign of a company as 
Executive Director of Eagle Gates Group Co Ltd. That just because they were in the need of a western face to promote the company. That´s pure stupidity! Normally a company hire educated and professional people to make commercial videos.

The whole story is so unbelieivable and have so many holes, at the same time as people normally use common knowledge regarding their choices in life. In clear that means he knew a lot more what it was all about.

Been in Thailand a long time have you?

5 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

If this is true, it doesn't help his case. Whether acting or not, it seems he presented himself as a participant, a very important one at that. 

He seems to be quite a lot dumb. As an Executive Director he is responsible. Probably he was only greedy for money, didn't read the contract or anything about that company. 

If this would have happened in our Countries he would be prosecuted and convicted and sentenced to prison too. 

Bad Luck. Face it! 

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

Very strange that this man is being treated very differently to the hundreds of ATM thieves and the many cold calling, boiler rooms fraudsters who got caught over the years and who fleeced many millions of Thais and foreigners, those people are usually been sent back to their respective countries after a deal worked out, so why this guy is different?...

Because it hasn't gone to court yet

8 minutes ago, Donaldo said:

The country called, he answered. The country called, I answered. Is going to foreign countries, invading and killing people who never posed a threat somehow a noble deed?

Whether he is guilty or not will have to be established in a court, but using his status of hired killer to somehow suggest a higher moral standard is very questionable. 

Well, it does go some way to proving how gullible he was.

This makes Zero sense - we have a family giving his side of story - no surprise he’s an absolute innocent angel (maybe he is, so show us why family) - that Thailand, Houdini’d this guy for no reason - A year ago - that they have a nice smiley guy face and former navy guy, means absolutely nothing - some vague language about a photo shoot in China, a Singapore scamming operation that defrauded - story is silent on attempts what the US embassy has done, silent on what his wife has done, silent on the entire other side of the story - the Thailand side.

I’m more inclined to think this guy did do something worthy of jail than not after ready his families pitch - which seeks donations.  But like everybody else here - I don’t have the story - and the families story sounds fishy as noted above

26 minutes ago, Misty said:

What's being done regarding the real masterminds, I wonder.

For all we know, some of the people claiming to be victims could also be part of the scam. This dumb yo-yo could have been played coming and going. And, now, here is all the focus being dumped on this fool, while the Chinese crims are getting off free as a bird.

He was hired and agreed to be the Executive Director of Eagle Gates Group Co, which means wether he knew it or not he was top management.

Over Billion baht going out of his account .....for me cased closed...guilty case closed. Follow the money!

6 hours ago, webfact said:

and was hired by a Singaporean to be Executive Director of Eagle Gates Group Co Ltd in order to build credibility and reputation for the company. 

Hired as a patsy,I don't think he will get out of this one,

unless the Donald gets involved,but why would he.

regards worgeordie

20 minutes ago, zydeco said:

For all we know, some of the people claiming to be victims could also be part of the scam. This dumb yo-yo could have been played coming and going. And, now, here is all the focus being dumped on this fool, while the Chinese crims are getting off free as a bird.

It's funny isn't it. Stupid westerners, what did they think was going to happen going into business with a Chinaman

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

Very strange that this man is being treated very differently to the hundreds of ATM thieves and the many cold calling, boiler rooms fraudsters who got caught over the years and who fleeced many millions of Thais and foreigners, those people are usually been sent back to their respective countries after a deal worked out, so why this guy is different?...

Because they planned using him for it from the start. Police earned on Eagle Gate too, obviously. Even most wanted FBI walking around carelessly in BKK.
Het must been really naive to take on the roll of a Director, he is then indeed guilty, regardless to knowing about the details.

Sucks for him but his best chance is to admit guilt and hope time flies by.

23 minutes ago, JESSVANPELT said:

He was hired and agreed to be the Executive Director of Eagle Gates Group Co, which means wether he knew it or not he was top management.

Over Billion baht going out of his account .....for me cased closed...guilty case closed. Follow the money!

don't know whether any money went through HIS account, only that 1 billion was taken from the victims of the scheme....likely into the corporate accounts rather than his personal account.

from the original post: " The DSI also reported that their investigations had discovered more than 1 billion baht in investment had been transferred out of the victim’s bank accounts.”

There are a few things that do not ring true with this story. His wife got a job as a dance instructor at SHENZHEN DANCE ACADEMY. There is no Shenzhen Dance Academy. There are many dance companies and academies in Shenzhen but non are called Shenzen Dance Academy. He gave up his TRANSPORT COMPANY to work odd jobs in China. He had owned his own transport company and yet he did not know about the responsibilities of the ED of a company. He signed a contract without reading it. I would say that there are a lot of things that he or his family are not telling everybody about this. Is this another scam that is going to be run by his family to get money out of people with gullible soft hearts. Navy veteran means nothing as I am also a navy veteran who served in Vietnam.

Guilty or not he will be in jail for a long time before the case gets to court if he gets bail he wont be allowed to leave the country. First trial will definitely find him guilty could take 4 years then appeal another couple of years then to the Supreme court another couple of years. Bail would be around BHT 1,000,000. I'v seen this before for just a couple of thousand dollars

Just now, ChouDoufu said:

don't know whether any money went through HIS account, only that 1 billion was taken from the victims of the scheme....likely into the corporate accounts rather than his personal account.

from the original post: " The DSI also reported that their investigations had discovered more than 1 billion baht in investment had been transferred out of the victim’s bank accounts.”

That is not relevant if he is the formal Director of the company, there can be so many company bank accounts. Sure he was stupid enough to sign any paper.

2 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

Not the same guy.

Based on what? If he would lose a few KG, shave himself and get make-up on, it would be a close looker.
Not to mention the easy silicon stuff they use to get you a new nose for the show. A normal day for any actor.

5 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

There are a few things that do not ring true with this story. His wife got a job as a dance instructor at SHENZHEN DANCE ACADEMY. There is no Shenzhen Dance Academy. There are many dance companies and academies in Shenzhen but non are called Shenzen Dance Academy. He gave up his TRANSPORT COMPANY to work odd jobs in China. He had owned his own transport company and yet he did not know about the responsibilities of the ED of a company. He signed a contract without reading it. I would say that there are a lot of things that he or his family are not telling everybody about this. Is this another scam that is going to be run by his family to get money out of people with gullible soft hearts. Navy veteran means nothing as I am also a navy veteran who served in Vietnam.

"Transport Company" means he was a truck driver in all liklihood.

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Yes what is it with americans and people in service.. they act like they are holey or something like that. Always bring up service.. its just a job someone chooses does not make them an angel if any it could damage them mentally. PSTD

Any family of any nationality is going to grasp at any possible straw to garner support from all possible quarters. We often see exactly that. The article also mentions that he's "a son, a husband, a father to two kids." Is that holey? 

But in the article the family isn't making a major point of his service.

No, the emphasis is made in the headline: US Navy veteran locked up in Thai prison, family pleas for help. That appears simply to be a spin by a website content writer for marketing purposes. As the writers around here are almost always Brits writing mainly for Brits (The Thaitiger uses British spelling)--who are the largest local audience--then the headline might be read partly designed to appeal to Brit biases (often negative), incidentally picking up some American interest & sympathy.

This is what you may be often seeing and mistakenly attributing to an American holier-than-thou attitude.

BTW, I agree w/ your point about his likely guilt. He may not have known every detail of the scheme, but he knew he was helping defraud people.

Archived