Police set up safety, traffic command center ahead of ASEAN Summit

webfact

Police set up safety, traffic command center ahead of ASEAN Summit

dafc6b2e1d3fbcdeaf63e375db5880d9_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Royal Thai Police will call a meeting in preparation for the 34th ASEAN Summit and has set up a command center for the integration of safety and traffic management.

The Deputy Commissioner-General of the Royal Thai Police, Pol. Gen. Srivara Ransibrahmanakul presided over the meeting at the Royal Thai Police Headquarters in Bangkok. Related units attended the meeting to discuss preparations for the 34th ASEAN Summit, which will be held from June 20 to 23, 2019, at the Athenee Hotel, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok.

Pol. Gen. Srivara said more than 10,000 police officers will be deployed to oversee security in areas around the venue of the summit. All officers have been instructed to monitor key routes and locations and called on the general public not to hold demonstrations during the event. Law enforcers will take immediate action to quell any incident.

Concerning the traffic situation, which has been affected by volatile weather conditions, the deputy police chief said the Department of Drainage and Sewerage has cooperated with the Metropolitan Electricity Authority (MEA) to deal with possible flooding by preparing additional water pumps to quickly drain water in flooded routes.

Roads connecting Ploenchit and Sarasin intersections will be closed to traffic from 6 a.m. on June 22 to 6 p.m. on June 23.

nnt_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright nnt 2019-06-17

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The Royal Thai Police will call a meeting in preparation for the 34th ASEAN Summit and has set up a command center

every ten kilometres along Sukhumvit to relieve visiting delegates of their spare baht whilst ignoring red light runners and illegal taxi drivers.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Pol. Gen. Srivara said more than 10,000 police officers will be deployed to oversee security in areas around the venue of the summit.

And maybe after the summit the 10,000 officers can remain in the capital to prevent marauding gangs of motorbike taxis from killing people and causing chaos ?  

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

And maybe after the summit the 10,000 officers can remain in the capital to prevent marauding gangs of motorbike taxis from killing people and causing chaos ?  

I watched the video, the officers on the scene didn't lift a finger to protect anyone or stop anyone, useless uniforms with a badge. If that was the US, police officers would have given one lawful order to drop weapons and lie on the ground, anyone not complying and still swinging a weapon would have been shot full of holes.

1 hour ago, ocddave said:

I watched the video, the officers on the scene didn't lift a finger to protect anyone or stop anyone, useless uniforms with a badge. If that was the US, police officers would have given one lawful order to drop weapons and lie on the ground, anyone not complying and still swinging a weapon would have been shot full of holes.

I too watched the video, a little earlier a poster on here claimed that there were dozens of officers on scene, I dispute that as I only saw a couple in the rather awfully taken video, enough to make ones head spin.

Anyhow, my comment was based on the fact that they can, at a moments notice deploy 10,000 coppers on the street for the ASEAN summit but everyday tax paying Bankokians aren't worthy of protection 24/7/365, control the mobs with sufficient numbers.

And as I don't know your history or background I cannot comment, but as an ex member of HM Forces who has done his time in NI I can assure you that 2 against 100 + is not good odds.

Please view this video for confirmation of my point.

Archived