Collecting Child Support from Parent in Thailand

anita1995

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how to collect back owed child support money from my father, who lives in Thailand. My father left my mother and I when I was just two yrs old, and never paid a cent in child support to my mother. My mother and I live in the states, and don't know how to go about this process. Since Thailand isn't a country that the U.S. has a child support arrangement with, I don't even know if getting the owed child support is possible.

Maybe you could try to come to Thailand and meet your dad? I just hope that right now money isn't what drives you there are much higher stakes for you.

I want to assume this isn't yet another troll thread. If it was I'd say it is borderline creative.

3 hours ago, anita1995 said:

Since Thailand isn't a country that the U.S. has a child support arrangement with, I don't even know if getting the owed child support is possible.

I'm no expert and you may want to double check these suggestions.

If he is still a US citizen (neither renounced or revoked) and living in Thailand on some form of a long term visa , you may be able to at least get his attention in a serious way.

To renew his Thailand visa he needs a valid US passport. US Passports are renewed every 10 years.  If you are lucky , you may be able to prevent him from renewing the US passport at least temporarily until he makes better arrangements than the zero payments made so far. Apparently they were not informed of his non-payment status or this would have all come to a head a long time ago. 

If the non-payment becomes a felony the information may be transmitted to Thai immigration and he might be denied re-entry to Thailand if he leaves for one reason or another .......

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Passport Denial for Failure to Pay Child Support:

Under a program called “Passport Denial,” authorized by a 1997 amendment to the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act (PRWORA), any person who owes child support in an amount greater than $2,500 will be denied a U.S. passport until the matter is cleared up.

If, under the same circumstances, the child support payment is overdue for longer than 2 years, or the amount exceeds $10,000, the violation is a criminal felony, and convicted offenders face fines and up to 2 years in prison (See 18 U.S.C.§ 228(a)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

If he was legally obligated to pay the child support then he is also subject to the consequences that go with non-compliance of the law.  If he is using his US passport in Thailand to obtain its benefits then it is not unreasonable for them to deny him those "legal benefits" in the same manner that he has denied "legal benefits" to someone else.   

I also read somewhere that they actually can garnish monthly Social Security benefits after the first $750.00

for  child support and alimony. You really need to get some actual legal advice in order to find the best options to pursue. 

EDIT

Forgot to add this .......If the person already has a passport, the U.S. government can revoke, restrict, or limit its use. (As a practical matter, however, they are currently unable to do that without having physical access to the person’s passport, such as during a renewal.)

5 hours ago, Seth1a2a said:

EDIT

Forgot to add this .......If the person already has a passport, the U.S. government can revoke, restrict, or limit its use. (As a practical matter, however, they are currently unable to do that without having physical access to the person’s passport, such as during a renewal.)

would think, if his Passport has been canceled or restricted by the US, it would show here when he does a 90 day report or boarder run.

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Can't comment on US but I know as a fact that they cannot claim child support from a UK national living in Thailand if retirement visa stamp is shown to the support agency in the uk.

There is no "retirement visa". It is an ext. based on retirement. 

12 hours ago, vinniekintana said:

I think she makes it clear it's only abt the money.

Good luck with that esp. as she's in her 20s

Guess the chances to get retroactive money is small. Her government support must have ended and now she needs some cash:)

12 hours ago, Seth1a2a said:

If he is still a US citizen (neither renounced or revoked) and living in Thailand on some form of a long term visa , you may be able to at least get his attention in a serious way.

I think you are being a bit presumptuous. Nothing in the OP says that the father is American. Maybe he is Thai. OP does not state his/her or mother's nationality either.

1 hour ago, neeray said:

think you are being a bit presumptuous. Nothing in the OP says that the father is American. Maybe he is Thai. OP does not state his/her or mother's nationality either.

What   "States " would you think I'm being a bit presumptuous  about. It's a common slang there in the "States "  to use the term    = U.S.

18 hours ago, anita1995 said:

My mother and I live in the states,

18 hours ago, anita1995 said:

Since Thailand isn't a country that the U.S. has a child support arrangement with,

A lot of conjecture here. OP didn't mention the nationality of her father, just that he lives in Thailand. Neither is her nationality stated. Is the mother Thai ? Child support is virtually non existent in Thailand, where the cases it has proved to have happen was only when both parties agreed. In any case, OP would first need to verify that the person targeted is actually her Father, and that would mean a DNA test. Something not likely to happen if 'he' turns out to be a Thai citizen.

On 6/18/2019 at 12:34 AM, Seth1a2a said:

What   "States " would you think I'm being a bit presumptuous  about. It's a common slang there in the "States "  to use the term    = U.S.

Nothing in there says her father is a USA citizen 

On 6/18/2019 at 6:50 PM, 5633572526 said:

Nothing in there says her father is a USA citizen 

On 6/17/2019 at 8:39 AM, neeray said:

think you are being a bit presumptuous. Nothing in the OP says that the father is American.

I think you both should complain to Administration about removing the constructive and helpful post you guys made on the OP's behalf. It may have been accidental and all they would need to do is make those posts visible again. 

If not , and you have really just taken the time out of your busy schedule to come to thaivisa.com /"family and children"  to nit pick a single post intended to help either the OP or someone else in a similar predicament then that would be extremely difficult to believe . I will be a bit presumptuous 

and assume you meant to help the OP by coming here and leave it at that.

By the way ,here's a nice photo I found on instagram  of a person who calls herself anita1995 . Absolutely nothing to do with this topic.  It's  just a nice photo......Cheers......

anita1995.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/anita1995/

19 minutes ago, amykat said:

Why would you write such a rude cruel thing??  Why don’t you go get your DNA checked and see if you belong to the human race??  Surely you will find out you lack the empathy gene at least.

Its called an opinion and despite your stamping your foot people are still entitled to voice it

2 hours ago, porphyry said:

Its called an opinion and despite your stamping your foot people are still entitled to voice it

I’m sorry but where does it say that we are ENTITLED to voice any and all opinions to total strangers that are just mean ....??? Do you walk up to people and let them know they are fat and ugly at shopping centers just because you can speak their language???  Do you feel the need to do that???  Would it help you in some way??  We are usually civil in some basic ways.

There is usually no statute of limitations on child support, or else a very long one, so this woman is entitled to go after it no matter if she is 20 years old, and her father should pay it.  If the man above wants to fight for laws against child support maybe he should do that rather than attack individual children!!! Maybe you will join him??

On 6/23/2019 at 4:34 AM, wisperone said:

Yes, make him pay up.  He ditched his daughter so he could go to Thailand to spend his money on bar girls/prostitutes. Scum.

You'll probably find him in Pattaya.

Do you know her father personally? You must do to be able to make a comment like that.

OTOH it could be that you really have no idea what you are talking about.

On 6/19/2019 at 9:06 AM, monkeycu said:

20 something year old, wanting child support for herself  :cheesy:

Get a life and a job

Leave your old man alone, you cant accept the fact you were probably a mistake 

Hideous attitude, hideous comment.

Archived