Taking aim at Johnson, British PM hopefuls make Brexit case

webfact

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

In the context of choosing a new PM, the only people to get a choice are the Tory MP's and then when down to 2 candidates the Tory party membership - seen this quoted as 124k and 160k members.

It seems to be the Brexiter element in this small group of people who are keen on Boris. Says a lot about their judgment!

Makes any question of why Boris did not appear on Channel remain4eva. It was just another trashy 'celebrity' reality game show, especially the windup 'choose me' statements. The Brexit Bashing Corp will not make any better job of it either. Selection of the Tory Party Leader is a matter for them, although critical to the nation, it's not for pseudopolitical entertainment. No point in any of them playing to the public, it's purely an internal party matter.

It seems to be the Conservative MPs who are now keener on Boris than they were previously, and ended up with the abysmal selected-by-default Leader Theresa. I'd be happy for him to get on with the job at hand in Brexit, but his apparent increased support does raise a few doubts about what new subterfuge the elites could be plotting.

2 hours ago, bomber said:

surely even more reason for Boris to show up then.  says something when the his tutors dont want him to even open his gob in fear of him making a balls of it.

Numerous efforts have been made on this thread to explain why Boris didn't show up. The problem is that the posters can wriggle, wiggle, writhe, slither, squiggle, and squirm like a worm on a hook, to make excuses, but the simple unavoidable answer is that he is a coward - live with it.  On "Any questions"  yesterday there was an unusually long period of audience applause when Boris was dismantled as a lying buffoon. 

When I am in Thailand (Most of the time) I meet so many US expats who are utterly embarrassed by having the golden #### as a President. Should we get Boris, I will feel the same, how could we possibly have sunk to such a pathetic level as a nation, to allow him to represent us. The head and butt are indeed interchangeable.

Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 07.59.47.png

1 hour ago, vogie said:

And like anybody else that discusses anything, you are reliant on that person being truthfull, and seeing how much you abhor Nigel Farage my guess is that you wouldn't believe him, whatever he said.

I don't recall every accusing Farage of being a liar.

He's nasty, but so assured of his support for being nasty he has no need to lie about it. 

3 hours ago, shy coconut said:

Sadly they said the same about trump, but he seems to be prospering despite everything.

There's no comparison between Trump & Boris apart from their 

hair styles!

Trump is a serious business man before a politician.

Boris is a career politician that puts himself first before

the country.

Trump does what he says and gets results.

Boris just says whatever gains him popularity and does comedy.

7 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

He's nasty, but so assured of his support for being nasty he has no need to lie about it. 

I don't believe it, I actually think you are jelling to him.

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The Mogg backs Boris's decision not to participate:

4 hours ago, malagateddy said:

My choice is Dom Rabb

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:
So who are you going to get to represent you?

It really doesn't matter who any of us would like to represent us as we have NO input or voice. It will be decided by the Tory MPs and the Tory party.

My choice would have been Ester McVey but she was chopped on the first round. I note however the she accepted the democratic result without crying, screaming, throwing her toys out of the pram. A lesson that some Remainers should learn off by heart.

42 minutes ago, billd766 said:

6 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:
So who are you going to get to represent you?

It really doesn't matter who any of us would like to represent us as we have NO input or voice. It will be decided by the Tory MPs and the Tory party.

My choice would have been Ester McVey but she was chopped on the first round. I note however the she accepted the democratic result without crying, screaming, throwing her toys out of the pram. A lesson that some Remainers should learn off by heart.

That wasn't my point.

There are a number of members who repeat the mantra politicians can't be trusted, are self serving etc. 

My concern with this is it is a disincentive to vote, and I am also of the opinion that the idea that all politicians are crooks, corrupt or self serving isn't spread by accident.

If we any of us take such a cynical view then the question has to be asked who then is going to represent us. 

Alternatively, ask in who's interest is it that the electorate don't trust politicians.

1 minute ago, evadgib said:

Hisssing Sssid' on GMB today:

He's no better than Ken Clark, threatening to topple their own government is a total disgrace, they should be kicked out of the party.

IMG_20190612_062524.jpg

4 minutes ago, vogie said:

He's no better than Ken Clark, threatening to topple their own government is a total disgrace, they should be kicked out of the party.

'Frank Doberman' outed him as M16 but I didn't bother uploading the video ????

11 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Why? Do you think the morality or otherwise of our leaders is irrelevant? 

What they get up to in their private life,is up to them. And that includes the leaders of the SNP. Unless it involved a sex crime such as rape. And by the way, when’s Alex Salmons appearing in court?

AC6B822D-B457-4BDA-BB4D-FDAA12FF4E8B.jpeg

10 hours ago, candide said:

Because the EU already exists and can be observed. The anticipated Brexit was (and still is) a set of a certain number of hypothetical variants.

The E.u. has indeed been observed, leading to the majority of the British electorate deciding Democratically to vote leave.

8 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Do you understand the difference between a representative democracy, which is what Britain has, and a complete democracy, which Switzerland uses? 

Do you understand why Britain has a representative democracy, why parliament is sovereign not the people; why referendums can only be advisory with no legal consequence; and why parliament is supposed to consider the views of all in making decisions that are best for everyone?

From your post it seems not. PS - I wouldn't use Boris, Farage, May, or any of her past and present cabinet as references!

The peoples Democratic decision should be sovereign, not a parliament, occupied by a bunch of deceiving and arrogant liars.

68F0D878-6CF3-449F-9A33-196CF0BFADE7.jpeg

9 hours ago, tebee said:

This is what boris's former employer thinks of him

D9LLivGWsAEhoZx.jpg

I beleive that was while Max Hasting was a Europhile. Since those times he has seen the light.

Max Hastings is becoming something of a moral example to British national journalists and popular historians, and as his former employer, I am beaming proudly. It is not for me to minimise either the grace of conversion or the purgative value of confession. But with Max’s recent announcement in the Daily Mail of his lapsed and renounced faith in Europe, like Stephen Daedalus’s confession, there still need to “ooze out, sluggish and filthy” a few more self-reflections.

It is not true, as Max claims, that he “deplored Brussels’ follies as much as anyone”. He treated his colleagues at the Daily Telegraphnewspapers who were Eurosceptic as “lunatics”. He scoffed at concerns about excessive dirigisme, because, he endlessly repeated as if in a trance, “Europe is a good thing”, and he was convinced that any British dismissal would make his frequent holidays in Italy more complicated. He conducted a ferocious intramural defence of Maastricht 20 years ago and leader conferences on the subject were re-enactments of the first day of the Somme.

21 minutes ago, nontabury said:

The peoples Democratic decision should be sovereign, not a parliament, occupied by a bunch of deceiving and arrogant liars.

There are at least 16 million people who disagree with you. 

You conveniently (for your point of view) forget Parliament represents all the people regardless of what they voted for, or indeed if they voted, or even if they are not old enough to vote.

Your arguments as to what should be 'sovereign' are laughable given a core argument of Brexit was to return sovereignty to Parliament. (not that Parliament had ever lost sovereignty).

8 hours ago, Older and Wiser said:

And if 70% would now prefer to remain is it democracy to follow through with the vote from the referendum no matter what?

Good you mentioned the word IF. meanwhile on planet Earth, the numbers in support for Brexit are increasing.

Just now, nontabury said:

Glad you mentioned the word IF. meanwhile on planet Earth, the numbers in support for Brexit are increasing.

Which I guess is why 43,000 people in the Peterborough constituency who voted Leave during the Referendum went AWOL last week, failing to show up to vote for 'The Brexit Party'. 

Perhaps they were confused by the name.

15 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Which I guess is why 43,000 people in the Peterborough constituency who voted Leave during the Referendum went AWOL last week, failing to show up to vote for 'The Brexit Party'. 

Perhaps they were confused by the name.

Much lower turn out than in the single issue E.u election. Added to this is that the voting pattern In Peterborough was much more complex.

46C33B7C-E61E-4A11-B06B-2B8F6D6B1D8E.jpeg

30 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

There are at least 16 million people who disagree with you. 

You conveniently (for your point of view) forget Parliament represents all the people regardless of what they voted for, or indeed if they voted, or even if they are not old enough to vote.

Your arguments as to what should be 'sovereign' are laughable given a core argument of Brexit was to return sovereignty to Parliament. (not that Parliament had ever lost sovereignty).

And you conveniently forget the 17 million who agree to leave.

Do you have a problem with maths, do you really need someone to explain to you that 17 million is more than 16 million?

15 hours ago, sotsira said:

If Boris becomes PM I think he will end up becoming the shortest

reigning PM in history with the way he conducts himself, it's just

a matter of time. 

Correct , he has more history , than Francis Drake, 

His past will come to light soon as poss.. 

9 hours ago, tebee said:

This is what boris's former employer thinks of him

D9LLivGWsAEhoZx.jpg

So if he thought so little of Boris why did he employ him for several years? Could it be that he was more interested in how much advertising revenue was generated rather than any ethical concerns?

Just now, elliss said:

Ill educated , secondary modern schooling , and BTECS. 

Ah, so you think only people of a certain education level should be allowed to vote?

Archived