Wanted Italian fraudsters who posed as George Clooney arrested in Pattaya

webfact

Wanted Italian fraudsters who posed as George Clooney arrested in Pattaya

italian.jpg

A wanted Italian man who is accused of posing as Hollywood movie star George Clooney in order to sell clothes online has been arrested in Pattaya.

Francesco Galdelli, 58, and his wife Vanja Goffi, 45 — dubbed the “Italian Bonnie and Clyde” were arrested at a luxury villa in Bang Lamung on Saturday.

The pair fled Italy in 2012 after being sentenced to eight years in jail for fraud.

One of their scams included the sale of fake Rolex watches online. Rather than sending the luxury watches, the couple would often send boxes containing salt to unsuspecting customers.

"During interrogation, Francesco confessed to claiming to be George Clooney and opening a clothes business to trick people into sending money," according to a statement from Thailand's Crime Suppression Division.

The arrests came after the authorities in Italy contacted Thailand’s Crime Suppression Division who had the couple under surveillance.

The couple had also previously been sued by George Clooney himself who in 2010 told a Milan court they had used his name fraudulently in order to promote a bogus clothing brand called “GC Exclusive by George Clooney.”

After moving to Pattaya in 2014, the couple had established themselves as well known and upstanding members of the expat community, with Mr Galdelli was known to regularly donate money to local children’s charities.

In 2014, Mr Galdelli was arrested at the Dusit Thani hotel in Pattaya, but was able to abscond after paying a prison guard 20,00 baht.

The couple are now being held by police in Pattaya before their extradition to Italy.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-06-17

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as to the watches, i bought a Rolex at Chatuchak market, it kept on stopping then restarting, i missed lots of meetings, dates, etc, i contacted ROLEX to complain, they did not answer, i will never buy a Rolex again.

7 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

as to the watches, i bought a Rolex at Chatuchak market, it kept on stopping then restarting, i missed lots of meetings, dates, etc, i contacted ROLEX to complain, they did not answer, i will never buy a Rolex again.

Yeah, right!!!

"..dubbed the “Italian Bonnie and Clyde”"

Who ever dubbed them that doesn't know squat about the real B&C. "Gee Bonnie, if they'd hurry up and invent the internet, we could steal money that way rather than rob banks"

Just wondering why his face is not pixellated as per new policy. Is it because he will not face any charges in Thailand? What about the bribery of the guard and escape in 2014? Was he still using his own name in Pattaya, if so who has he been paying off?

TV deserves to know!

1 hour ago, hellohello123 said:

haha, its probably not as outrageous as it sounds,

thai girls think all farangs look the same and are hansum

the number of times ive had chats with thai girls, who say, oh my friend is dating this guy, he looks as hot as richard gere, brad pitt, Bradley cooper, johnny depp , INSERT HOLLYWOOD HUNK

and they show me a pic and it almost looks like Steve Buscemis twin

1 hour ago, mercman24 said:

I also bought one.I was always ahead of time because it gained 1 hour in every 24 ! lol

There is a percentage of the world's population who will do anything in their power to avoid having to work for a living. Most of them have no conscience, and will steal to avoid having to work. Their parents are largely to blame, as they were not raised to have moral, or ethical standards, and we must always be on the lookout for them. 

Besides, who sends money to people online anyway? What ever happened to prudence and caution? Why would you send money to someone you came across online? Perhaps to purchase a product or service, with the protection of a credit card. But, otherwise? I hear so many stories of guys who meet a woman online, and before ever meeting her face to face, they start sending her all kinds of money. How naive, and emotionally vulnerable does one have to be to engage in such an act of foolishness? 

2 hours ago, mercman24 said:

You obviously hadn't bought a genuine imitation.

"One of their scams included the sale of fake Rolex watches online. Rather than sending the luxury watches, the couple would often send boxes containing salt to unsuspecting customers."

So they didn't sell fake Rolex watches, then. They sold Rolex watches and sent the customers a pack of salt instead.

I can totally understand the locals taking this seriously and swooping to nab these miscreants. Impersonating is out of bounds to farangs here, mostly being performed to a high level by police and politicians.

Archived