Scrabble: Thai player faces lifetime ban for cheating a second time

webfact

1 hour ago, Captain_Bob said:

Cheating ... if successful, is considered admirable in [this] society. It is taught from birth right through the "educational system" ... The only thing Scrabble punk did wrong was get caught. 

"Admirable."  Agreed.  Thank you, @Captain_Bob, for bringing out that important factor.

In this culture, getting caught is not so "wrong".  Cheaters expect to get caught once in a while.  They just shrug it off (if the situation permits), and try again.

One, specific, ethnic group here cheats far more than all the others.  By not naming that group, it's easy to get confused and assume it is all local people.  But then on the opposite side we see something like a taxi driver returning a lost wallet to a passenger.  Doesn't add up until we separate by ethnicity.    (I won't name that ethnic group here because I don't want to have the thread flooded with posts accusing me of "xxxxxx-bashing".)

More interesting is the question: What is the cultural benefit that nurtures widespread cheating here?  There must be a reason that cheating and corruption are so widespread.  I've often wondered why.  (And I have some tentative answers to that, but it is far to delicate a topic to discuss on any public forum.  And very much not politically correct, too.  I welcome PMs.)

2 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

A bit unfair on the guy as corruption and cheating are deeply ingrained in Thai culture. Hope that TAT can put a spin on this so it is really a foreigners fault. ????

Well, it was an American that invented Scrabble. So . . . if the foreigner hadn't invented the game, then Pichai would never have cheated in the first place. No?

1 hour ago, RLAretired said:

"Admirable."  Agreed.  Thank you, @Captain_Bob, for bringing out that important factor.

In this culture, getting caught is not so "wrong".  Cheaters expect to get caught once in a while.  They just shrug it off (if the situation permits), and try again.

One, specific, ethnic group here cheats far more than all the others.  By not naming that group, it's easy to get confused and assume it is all local people.  But then on the opposite side we see something like a taxi driver returning a lost wallet to a passenger.  Doesn't add up until we separate by ethnicity.    (I won't name that ethnic group here because I don't want to have the thread flooded with posts accusing me of "xxxxxx-bashing".)

More interesting is the question: What is the cultural benefit that nurtures widespread cheating here?  There must be a reason that cheating and corruption are so widespread.  I've often wondered why.  (And I have some tentative answers to that, but it is far to delicate a topic to discuss on any public forum.  And very much not politically correct, too.  I welcome PMs.)

Don't be shy. An open and honest debate, framed the right way, can only be a good thing. It can only offend if emotions and irrational discussion dominate. 

COME ON guys give him a break, it was a mistake,  OK, he had two spare tiles in his hand, and was going to own up, at the end, (after he won of course)  i believe him. ok the old chestnut, A THAI WOULD NEVER DO THIS, (sorry matey, thats twice ya have been caught now) back to the farm

Not unique to Thailand.

Perhaps this man was just a copycat ?

Former British Scrabble champion, Scrabble book author, The Times columnist, and professional Scrabble player Allan Simmons is currently serving a three year ban from the game for cheating.

11 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I think it rather depends on what letters he's been dealt.

Or even

s    

p

a

r

t i l e s

e

c

r e t a i n e d

e          e

t          a

e          t

d          l

y

8 hours ago, Bipolar said:

Is this part of Thai Niyom???? Thais should be so proud of this. why is this not on the front of most thai newspapers ??? please help to share in your social media accounts. Prayut should call the guy for a press pic to honor him at the government house.

The singaporeans and chinese now use the word thai to mean cheat...ie do not thai me lah!......lol!

In Malaysia it is called doing a Thai as well !

16 hours ago, gomangosteen said:

Not unique to Thailand.

Perhaps this man was just a copycat ?

Former British Scrabble champion, Scrabble book author, The Times columnist, and professional Scrabble player Allan Simmons is currently serving a three year ban from the game for cheating.

Shhhh only Thais cheat. Dont whatever you do look at other sports in other countries, Lance Armstrong, pretty much every champion athlete for the past 20 years, Russia etc etc etc the list goes on. The Aussie national cricket team......

Archived