Tourists warned after Russian dies: When red flags fly and officials say "no" stay out of the water

webfact

Tourists warned after Russian dies: When red flags fly and officials say "no" stay out of the water

4pm.jpg

Picture: Siam Rath

Navy rescue personnel in Koh Chang have warned tourists to obey red flags and the advice of life guards to stay out of the water during high waves in the monsoon season. 

The warning comes after the death of a Russian tourist at White Sand Beach near the White Sand Beach Resort.

Fifty five year old Vladimir Antonov was found floating face down 300 meters from shore. With high waves presenting difficulties rescue teams got the Russian to shore where he was given CPR. 

He was later pronounced dead at the International hospital on the island. 

His 45 year old wife Svetlana Antonov said they had been staying at the Koh Chang Kacha Resort and Spa two kilometers away. 

Her husband had got into difficulties in the high surf and been swept out. 

Navy rescue has contacted resorts in the area to warn tourists and told tourists to follow red flags and the advice of life guards during the high swell of the monsoon season. 

Source: Siam Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-06-17

went down to the beaches just west of Chantaburi last weekend, the surf was high and the red flags almost invisible. they were there, but hidden behind trees, and buildings.  Not a lot of use in those locations.  No lifeguards to be seen at their stations.  Some people paddling but nobody in the sea swimming.  Lots of signs warning of strong rip tides, but the signs all in Thai. So not much use to tourists. Mind you, the water there is a lovely light green and clear as a bell, very inviting. 

28 minutes ago, webfact said:

When red flags fly 

In case you don't know, Red flags for a russian is a common sight everywhere in Russia, the national flag is RED, so maybe red flags in Russia means safe to proceeds...

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

In case you don't know, Red flags for a russian is a common sight everywhere in Russia, the national flag is RED, so maybe red flags in Russia means safe to proceeds...

Better change color asap as Chinese flag is also red... oh wait, Russian flag is red white and blue, a popular color combination

6 hours ago, Pilotman said:

went down to the beaches just west of Chantaburi last weekend, the surf was high and the red flags almost invisible. they were there, but hidden behind trees, and buildings.  Not a lot of use in those locations.  No lifeguards to be seen at their stations.  Some people paddling but nobody in the sea swimming.  Lots of signs warning of strong rip tides, but the signs all in Thai. So not much use to tourists. Mind you, the water there is a lovely light green and clear as a bell, very inviting. 

with all these people either coming from Nanny States (W-Europe, AU, NZ etc.) or having an extremely tiny brain: I don't need flags, people who chase me away from the beach, no loud speakers, no barriers ... I just look at the surf and tell myself "blimey"

Coolio!!! Surf's Up!!!
"You, you farang.  No surf, no boogie board, no body surf.  Not in Thai surf.  No surf in Thailand.  You go some other country.  Get out water now!!!"

4 hours ago, thurien said:

with all these people either coming from Nanny States (W-Europe, AU, NZ etc.) or having an extremely tiny brain: I don't need flags, people who chase me away from the beach, no loud speakers, no barriers ... I just look at the surf and tell myself "blimey"

Blimey? Oh !  Arh! Blackpool still welcomes  then?????

16 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Hi, what beach were you at?

I'm involved in a swimming club (pool), familiar with our local beaches after eight years here, there are neither lifeguards nor lifeguard stations on our local beaches

Did you swim? Clear water rare this time of year, even at Ko Kwang 800m offshore from Proet last month it was too cloudy for snorkeling, as were other locations up to Khung Wiman

Archived