Seeking for advice

My car has been in a repair shop for over a year now, and it is still not finished, I have been kept asking for a list of works with prices for parts and labor, but never received one.  3 separate payments were made, which is about 60,000 bahts in total.

I am not sure if this repair shop has a business license or not, because the repair shop is in a house that located in the city of Bangkok.

I wonder if it is a good idea to talk with a lawyer or even worth to do so.

I would appreciate any advice on this matter and if anyone has ever came across similar situation.

Thank you in advance.  

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My car has been in a repair shop for over a year now, and it is still not finished, I have been kept asking for a list of works with prices for parts and labor, but never received one.  3 separate payments were made, which is about 60,000 bahts in total.

I am not sure if this repair shop has a business license or not, because the repair shop is in a house that located in the city of Bangkok.

I wonder if it is a good idea to talk with a lawyer or even worth to do so.

I would appreciate any advice on this matter and if anyone has ever came across similar situation.

Thank you in advance.  

I can't believe that this is a genuine post as I can't fathom why anyone would put up with such  situation for a whole year.  If you don't know what you should be doing, then nobody can help you mate. 

Get a Thai speaking person to ask the shop proprietor what are the hold ups and problems if any and his estimate of costs and time to finish the job,

if you're not happy with the answers, convey to him that you will be lodging a complaint with the nearest police station and take it from there, no need for a lawyer at the moment...

What exactly is broken on your car?

Bit of an anecdote, my friend's mom rear-ended a semi-truck, her car's whole front-end is gone and everything apart from the engine is broken and needs to be replaced, including new airbags and dashboard. She took it to an independent repair shop (like you) and it took them 1 month to get an undrivable car into a normal one just like before the accident.

I'm guessing your repair shop just isn't bothered to fix your car and they haven't done anything to your car, which is why you're not given any list of parts and labor... because it doesn't exist yet.

Whatever the case may be, whether your car can still be driven or not, get out of there. My recommendation is to just go there NOW, get your car and take it to the dealer.

You don't want to do business with a place like this. If you're using your insurer to pay for the damages and they mandate you to use this place, that isn't true, you have the freedom to choose unless you got a really bad/cheap insurance policy that clearly states you're not allowed to fix your car at the dealer if you want insurance to pay.

(If your car cannot be driven, just call a flatbed/tow truck)

12 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I can't believe that this is a genuine post as I can't fathom why anyone would put up with such  situation for a whole year.  If you don't know what you should be doing, then nobody can help you mate. 

Thank you for your comment, I am here in Thailand and being hard headed might not be the best way for this culture, of cos, it is only my opinion.  Actually, I do know this same situation occurred on a person who is a local Thai.

14 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Get a Thai speaking person to ask the shop proprietor what are the hold ups and problems if any and his estimate of costs and time to finish the job,

if you're not happy with the answers, convey to him that you will be lodging a complaint with the nearest police station and take it from there, no need for a lawyer at the moment...

Thank you for your comment, I have brought in a Thai friend to ensure there is no miscommunication, but it isn't working but the repair man does perform works at times, it just taking tooooooooo long.

17 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Do I have enough ground to lodge a complain with police, you think? I know money has been exchanged but there is no contract.

• Been there for over a year
  • Not sure if its real as its in a house !
  • No list of work to be done or parts, but you have made 3 payments ??
  • Why would you even use such a place.

Sorry, but this all sounds total nonsense,

I will give it the benefit of the doubt for a short while.

5 minutes ago, monkeycu said:

Have you seen the car since leaving it?

It maybe the repairers new family car now, or sold 

One final thought, Who is dumb enough to leave the car in a workshop for 1 year :huh:

Yeah, I have checked on it from time to time, it is still there in the repairman's home. Thank you.

4 minutes ago, CharlieH said:
  • Been there for over a year
  • Not sure if its real as its in a house !

Sorry, but this all sounds total nonsense,

I will give it the benefit of the doubt for a short while.

Thank you for your comment, I have learnt that this isn't new in this part of the world, but I do agreed with you it dose not make sense as coming from a more systematic part of the world.  However, I am still adopting the way of doing things here.

39 minutes ago, transam said:

Just take the car home and start again...

Thank you for your comment, that thought has crossed my mind but nevertheless, I still must settle everything with the repair shop before can take the car back.

13 minutes ago, CharlieH said:
  • ...over a year
  • ...in a house !

Good summary, but similar situations happen so often here -- just that most are less extreme.

"In a house" is common for auto repair -- actually in the front yard.  Nothing unusual there.

"No list of work or parts" is also common.

"Why would you even use such a place?" Is a good question to us, but there are some very important reasons why a local would use such a place.

It is the "3 payments" where things become interesting.  OP is being "played" by the repairman.  Was asked for first payment.  Paid.  Asked for second payment.  Paid.  Local thinking is to try again.  I've observed this exact game being played by local people on each other.

Advice:  "I will only pay you when you finish the job.  If you need a part, show me what you need, and I will go buy it and bring it to you, then stand here and watch while you install it."

6 minutes ago, airtime888 said:

Thank you for your comment, I have learnt that this isn't new in this part of the world, but I do agreed with you it dose not make sense as coming from a more systematic part of the world.  However, I am still adopting the way of doing things here.

It doesn't happen all over the world and it is not how things are done here.  Wake up and smell the coffee. 

30 minutes ago, MatteoBassini said:

What exactly is broken on your car?

Bit of an anecdote, my friend's mom rear-ended a semi-truck, her car's whole front-end is gone and everything apart from the engine is broken and needs to be replaced, including new airbags and dashboard. She took it to an independent repair shop (like you) and it took them 1 month to get an undrivable car into a normal one just like before the accident.

I'm guessing your repair shop just isn't bothered to fix your car and they haven't done anything to your car, which is why you're not given any list of parts and labor... because it doesn't exist yet.

Whatever the case may be, whether your car can still be driven or not, get out of there. My recommendation is to just go there NOW, get your car and take it to the dealer.

You don't want to do business with a place like this. If you're using your insurer to pay for the damages and they mandate you to use this place, that isn't true, you have the freedom to choose unless you got a really bad/cheap insurance policy that clearly states you're not allowed to fix your car at the dealer if you want insurance to pay.

(If your car cannot be driven, just call a flatbed/tow truck)

Thank you for you r comment, mine is a classic car and no accident, but more on upgrade and minor issues.  You are right about should not use such repair shop, I have learnt it now.

6 minutes ago, RLAretired said:

Good summary, but similar situations happen so often here -- just that most are less extreme.

"In a house" is common for auto repair -- actually in the front yard.  Nothing unusual there.

"No list of work or parts" is also common.

"Why would you even use such a place?" Is a good question to us, but there are some very important reasons why a local would use such a place.

It is the "3 payments" where things become interesting.  OP is being "played" by the repairman.  Was asked for first payment.  Paid.  Asked for second payment.  Paid.  Local thinking is to try again.  I've observed this exact game being played by local people on each other.

Advice:  "I will only pay you when you finish the job.  If you need a part, show me what you need, and I will go buy it and bring it to you, then stand here and watch while you install it."

Thank you for the advice and appreciated it

52 minutes ago, transam said:

Just take the car home and start again...

sad but true.   hopefully the shop won't be aggressive and want MORE money to release the car (work done already ?)

Thank you for your comment, I bought a little British classic car here in Bangkok.

My car has no damage, I do check on my car from time to time, the reason I choose this repair shop is because it is well known and reputable in this particular classic car community.

I believed that the main problem is that the repair shop undertake too many jobs, and not too professionally managing their works.

They have told me the reason is still check on the high temperature problem. 

good thing i read the post.   usually when title is  "asking advice"  I just post my standard answer"Just grab what you can and get the heck out!"        Come to think of it.....that would work here as well  ????

6 minutes ago, airtime888 said:

They have told me the reason is still check on the high temperature problem.

they could be legit ......maybe just too busy.   Hard to say when it is time to just give up on them.

STAY CALM   so it does not escalate into a real problem .   But when you make a decision try to get them to agree (peacefully)    BTW:  you mentioned lawyers.   that is almost always  NOT the best way to go.   ADD police to that as well.   Time to test out your problem solving capabilities and gain experience

Archived