Seeking for advice

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, rumak said:

good thing i read the post.   usually when title is  "asking advice"  I just post my standard answer"Just grab what you can and get the heck out!"        Come to think of it.....that would work here as well  ????

No doubt, gone with the wind.

Now that you say it's a classic car and that they undertook too many jobs, now everything makes more sense. I think the situation is their have friends that got their car in after you but the shop decided to work on their cars first rather than yours.

You should ask the classic car community for other shops to go to. My second thought would be this is the reality of owning a niche car or even just a car that wasn't sold a lot in Thailand.

In the mid 2000's Chevrolet Thailand sold a car called the Chevrolet Lumina and nowadays people that bought the Lumina have to rely on importing parts from Australia, months long wait and very expensive. I've even heard of people buying wrecked ones to use parts from it. And this was just a bland sedan sold officially in Thailand just 14 years ago. I can't imagine owning an even older and niche car.

10 minutes ago, rumak said:

they could be legit ......maybe just too busy.   Hard to say when it is time to just give up on them.

STAY CALM   so it does not escalate into a real problem .   But when you make a decision try to get them to agree (peacefully)    BTW:  you mentioned lawyers.   that is almost always  NOT the best way to go.   ADD police to that as well.   Time to test out your problem solving capabilities and gain experience

Couldn't agreed more

9 minutes ago, MatteoBassini said:

Now that you say it's a classic car and that they undertook too many jobs, now everything makes more sense. I think the situation is their have friends that got their car in after you but the shop decided to work on their cars first rather than yours.

You should ask the classic car community for other shops to go to. My second thought would be this is the reality of owning a niche car or even just a car that wasn't sold a lot in Thailand.

In the mid 2000's Chevrolet Thailand sold a car called the Chevrolet Lumina and nowadays people that bought the Lumina have to rely on importing parts from Australia, months long wait and very expensive. I've even heard of people buying wrecked ones to use parts from it. And this was just a bland sedan sold officially in Thailand just 14 years ago. I can't imagine owning an even older and niche car.

I once bought a "real deal" :   A beautiful jaguar sedan (that had a chevy engine  lol).   The rest became a real pain in the butt trying to get it to be right.    My recommendations for thailand are toyota,  honda .

Nice to just go out, get in the car,  and go.  And fixing them is almost as easy

7 minutes ago, MatteoBassini said:

There are some very beautiful classic cars around but just need more professional services with good quality, parts for classic car that we can forget it, as import tax is quite high even to bring it into the country. 

3 minutes ago, rumak said:

I once bought a "real deal" :   A beautiful jaguar sedan (that had a chevy engine  lol).   The rest became a real pain in the butt trying to get it to be right.    My recommendations for thailand are toyota,  honda .

Nice to just go out, get in the car,  and go.  And fixing them is almost as easy

Think most people would feel the same.  I don't drive much and needless to say about the traffic.  I just got the car for a bit of fun drive around in the city, but it turns out to be only pain, LOL.

6 minutes ago, rumak said:

Love the old Jaguar, and when I was a kid and saw one, I always wanted to take that icon off it's hood and keep it, LOL.

As an former automobile insurance adjuster, I admit that I was a bit confused at first....until you mentioned what kind of car you had.

back in the 90s, I had a claim by the owner for a Fiat Abarth Zagato double bubble coupe.  The owner was a big auto collector and the parking brake slipped.  The car rolled, struck something and the only damage was to the mirror, windshield pillar/cowl and a cracked windshield.

Sent the car to a shop in Redmond, WA (Seattle suburb) that not only did insurance work but was well known for their custom work on classic cars.

just with that small amount of damage, the rarity of the car and difficulty sourcing parts...the car took about a year to be repaired.

Some full restorations on classic cars can literally take years to complete 

1 hour ago, airtime888 said:

They have told me the reason is still check on the high temperature problem. 

Classic car or new a high temperature problem can be found in a hour or so at the most. 

2 hours ago, transam said:

What was wrong with it..?

Nothing major, there is a bit of problem with wiring deteriorating, the temperature warning comes on but no over heating occurs.

Then, just replacing dashboard & rails, suspension cones with hi-low adjuster, radiator & hose, rear brake shoes.

Other works including modification on A/C system, repair rust spots on floor, install music player, plus maybe few small things.

That is about all I know as I could not get a work list on what had been done exactly.

2 hours ago, MatteoBassini said:

Yeah, understand all that, it is always challenging when comes to doing a classic car, but hopefully it is all worth it at the end.

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Classic car or new a high temperature problem can be found in a hour or so at the most. 

Agreed, checking should only takes an hour or even a day, which is the first part, but the fixing part is indefinitely for my case, LOL.

8 minutes ago, airtime888 said:

Nothing major, there is a bit of problem with wiring deteriorating, the temperature warning comes on but no over heating occurs.

Then, just replacing dashboard & rails, suspension cones with hi-low adjuster, radiator & hose, rear brake shoes.

Other works including modification on A/C system, repair rust spots on floor, install music player, plus maybe few small things.

That is about all I know as I could not get a work list on what had been done exactly.

That car has hydrolastic suspension...

1 hour ago, airtime888 said:

Think mine has rubber cone and shock for suspension and doesn't have hydrolastic system.

Yes your right, from 1959 to 64 was rubber doughnut, 1964 to 1971 was hydrolastic, I have never seen the setup after that....There are many aftermarket suppliers of different types of mini suspension kits in the UK..

https://www.minisport.com/mini-mechanical-parts/mini-suspension.html

55 minutes ago, transam said:

Yes your right, from 1959 to 64 was rubber doughnut, 1964 to 1971 was hydrolastic, I have never seen the setup after that....There are many aftermarket suppliers of different types of mini suspension kits in the UK..

https://www.minisport.com/mini-mechanical-parts/mini-suspension.html

I am grateful for your kind help.

Firstly, I would like to thank you for all the comments and advice on my original post.

1) Now, I have decided and prepared to deal with this prolonging                painstakingly matter as steps shown below:-

1   Produce a list in both Thai and English languages to show the following

-          The date when my car was taken into the repair shop;

-          Parts and equipment were provided by me,

-          Dates and amount for payments made,

-          Repair works done with a check column for each item for          confirmation,

-          Statement for both parties to agree upon execution as the        final settlement. 

2   2) Take procession of my car by selecting a date and go to the repair           shop to meet with the repairman.  On the selected date I will go             through the list with the repairman, check on all works done and           parts supplied by the shop and myself, take back all parts have not         been used, and clarify there will be no further payment with both           parties agree and sign on the list as the final settlement.

3) Pre-arrange a tow truck, and once the matter is finalized, then the   

tow truck will remove my car off the repair shop's premise                    immediately.

4) Have a Thai friend to contact a few specialized classic mini shops to      consider, which one will be good to take my car into for fixing it up.

Believe or not, this particular repair shop is the number  5 shop that I had taken my car in for repair works, and all 5 shops had failed to provide honest quality services and the problem remains.  I wonder the reason would it be due to that I am not Thai.  Perhaps, they all think that it's just a once time thing to take advantage on an expat, who doesn't live in Thailand permanently, or I just simply got straight out 5 times with bad lucks.

I am considering next post to disclose all these repair shops; it isn’t about for a revenge purpose, but only to let others aware and not to fall for this kind of unacceptable services.  I wish there is a website dedicates for giving an indication on good and bad services of shops in Thailand, of cause it should not be limited to only car repair, so that both expat and local can check before they decide to use the shops/services or not to use the shops/services to avoid.

If you have any comment or advice, please do drop a line, and I like to hear what everyone thinks about it.

DO NOT list the repair shops ! It is against forum rules and you may be subject to civil and criminal prosecution in doing so.

See forum rule 6.

6) You will not post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.

Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person to suffer harm. It does not have to be false to be defamatory. Libel is when the defamatory statement is published either in a drawing, painting, cinematography, film, picture or letters made visible by any means, or any other recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading picture, or by propagation by any other means. Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in Thailand.

3 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

DO NOT list the repair shops ! It is against forum rules and you may be subject to civil and criminal prosecution in doing so.

See forum rule 6.

6) You will not post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.

Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person to suffer harm. It does not have to be false to be defamatory. Libel is when the defamatory statement is published either in a drawing, painting, cinematography, film, picture or letters made visible by any means, or any other recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading picture, or by propagation by any other means. Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in Thailand.

Thank you for pointing it out to me.

On 6/17/2019 at 10:35 AM, Pilotman said:

I can't believe that this is a genuine post as I can't fathom why anyone would put up with such  situation for a whole year.  If you don't know what you should be doing, then nobody can help you mate. 

very true....

sounds like one of the Rover 35th Anniversary models from Japan. Had one of those, and great little car but sitting around not being used kills them. Sourcing parts in Japan may be a problem with the language but possible as i used to get parts from there for another car i exported from there. Australia has a few that were private imports, so some Mini parts companies there might be able to help with parts or even help with information on known overheating problems.

Archived