BANGKOK 22 July 2019 04:48
webfact

Fed up with the state of the roads - motorcyclist comes off and needs 40 stitches

Fed up with the state of the roads - motorcyclist comes off and needs 40 stitches

6pm1.jpg

Caption: Quality of life?

Daily News Online reported that a female motorcyclist in Bangkok was left severely injured after coming off her bike outbound on Rama IX road. 

She had hit a drain cover that was not properly closed. 

Comment was rife online after details of the accident were posted by a fellow motorcyclist on Jaa Ae on Facebook who said:

"Fed up with the state of the roads. Can (the authorities) do something please? Do us two-wheelers have to suffer like this?"

There was a hashtag indicating that the injured rider was on a red plate (new) Yamaha Filano. 

Daily News Online caught up with the poster who said they attended to the woman after the accident at 5.15 pm on Thursday of last week. 

They said the road surface was deplorable with many drains not properly closed in the area.

She needed forty stitches in her wounds, they said. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-06-17

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Maybe, maybe not, maybe it fell off etc etc... but that’s not really the point... even with full leathers etc hitting that drain and coming off is likely to cause injury...  it would cause damage to a car tyre. 

The points raised are highly valid... roads in shocking condition & dangerous... 

It sounds like you are implying that because of the conditions of Thai roads, 75% of road deaths on Thai roads i.e. motorcycle riders are caused by Thai roads, and not because the deceased riders were not wearing helmets ?

Can't agree with you on this one, being someone who has ridden motorbikes of all sizes all of one's life, a helmet is a must, leathers, well they help your skin staying on and are also a must in my opinion.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, webfact said:

Comment was rife online after details of the accident were posted by a fellow motorcyclist on Jaa Ae on Facebook who said:

"Fed up with the state of the roads. Can (the authorities) do something please? Do us two-wheelers have to suffer like this?"

As well as I totally agree with that the state of the roads are so much below an accepable level as humanly possible there is one strange thing, though.

One that opens the eyes and embrace the sight of the roads into their mind, might very well see the possibility of an accident and avoid hitting the already seen obstacle. 

• Thanks 1

NO point in fixing the roads if you cannot fix the average thai drivers brain at the same time

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

They really are buggered in terms of being able to permanently fix some roads. The road near Makkasan ARL / Phetchaburi MRT was resurfaced not long ago, already within a few weeks of the rainy season it is breaking again and floods any time there is significant rain. People might be right about BKK being completely flooded in the future. 

14 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

The roads are better than in Indonesia. Maybe Thai motorbike tests and/or mandatory licence renewing videos could accent the perils of following too close and not being able to see what is in front?

I so agree , up here all the roads in and out of town seem to have been fixed and re surfaced but I don't like to follow too close to anything in front of me , there could be a pile of sand, gravel or even bricks in the middle of the road , 4 wheels miss it but 2 wheeels and oops !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Maybe, maybe not, maybe it fell off etc etc... but that’s not really the point... even with full leathers etc hitting that drain and coming off is likely to cause injury...  it would cause damage to a car tyre. 

The points raised are highly valid... roads in shocking condition & dangerous... 

Yes they are, and one needs to drive accordingly. If one can't drive according to the conditions one should not be driving at all.

However, every time I drove on the m'bike I never knew if I'd be returning safely.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

NO point in fixing the roads if you cannot fix the average thai drivers brain at the same time

You can't fix it 'till you find it, that's the hard part because many sit on them.