Fed up with the state of the roads - motorcyclist comes off and needs 40 stitches

webfact

Fed up with the state of the roads - motorcyclist comes off and needs 40 stitches

6pm1.jpg

Caption: Quality of life?

Daily News Online reported that a female motorcyclist in Bangkok was left severely injured after coming off her bike outbound on Rama IX road. 

She had hit a drain cover that was not properly closed. 

Comment was rife online after details of the accident were posted by a fellow motorcyclist on Jaa Ae on Facebook who said:

"Fed up with the state of the roads. Can (the authorities) do something please? Do us two-wheelers have to suffer like this?"

There was a hashtag indicating that the injured rider was on a red plate (new) Yamaha Filano. 

Daily News Online caught up with the poster who said they attended to the woman after the accident at 5.15 pm on Thursday of last week. 

They said the road surface was deplorable with many drains not properly closed in the area.

She needed forty stitches in her wounds, they said. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-06-17

Sheeeet roads and not wearing a helmet don't go well together, she is lucky not to have suffered brain damage or something else, a lesson to be had perhaps ?

Wonder where all of those tax dollars are going ?

image.jpeg.257bcd144d3f29ea55d6ace5ae6140a9.jpeg

3 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Was she wearing a helmet ?

Maybe, maybe not, maybe it fell off etc etc... but that’s not really the point... even with full leathers etc hitting that drain and coming off is likely to cause injury...  it would cause damage to a car tyre. 

The points raised are highly valid... roads in shocking condition & dangerous... 

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Maybe, maybe not, maybe it fell off etc etc... but that’s not really the point... even with full leathers etc hitting that drain and coming off is likely to cause injury...  it would cause damage to a car tyre. 

The points raised are highly valid... roads in shocking condition & dangerous... 

It sounds like you are implying that because of the conditions of Thai roads, 75% of road deaths on Thai roads i.e. motorcycle riders are caused by Thai roads, and not because the deceased riders were not wearing helmets ?

Can't agree with you on this one, being someone who has ridden motorbikes of all sizes all of one's life, a helmet is a must, leathers, well they help your skin staying on and are also a must in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

It sounds like you are implying that because of the conditions of Thai roads, 75% of road deaths on Thai roads i.e. motorcycle riders are caused by Thai roads, and not because the deceased riders were not wearing helmets ?

Can't agree with you on this one, being someone who has ridden motorbikes of all sizes all of one's life, a helmet is a must, leathers, well they help your skin staying on and are also a must in my opinion.

Nope.. I didn’t imply anything, I wrote that the roads are a cause of accidents, an issue which needs attention. 

Hitting that drain would cause pain to any motorcyclist no matter what their riding attire. 

The helmet issue is a no brainier, but not my point here. The issue is with the roads as a cause of accident. 

46 minutes ago, webfact said:

Comment was rife online after details of the accident were posted by a fellow motorcyclist on Jaa Ae on Facebook who said:

"Fed up with the state of the roads. Can (the authorities) do something please? Do us two-wheelers have to suffer like this?"

As well as I totally agree with that the state of the roads are so much below an accepable level as humanly possible there is one strange thing, though.

One that opens the eyes and embrace the sight of the roads into their mind, might very well see the possibility of an accident and avoid hitting the already seen obstacle. 

The roads are better than in Indonesia. Maybe Thai motorbike tests and/or mandatory licence renewing videos could accent the perils of following too close and not being able to see what is in front?

It's unfortunate,that Submarines,tanks.helicopters and a whole range

of war weapons,comes before looking after and spending on the 

infrastructure ,like the state of some roads,paths,electric supply,

that does not go off everytime it rains or wind blows.

one thing benefits very few people,the other everyone.

regards worgeordie

They really are buggered in terms of being able to permanently fix some roads. The road near Makkasan ARL / Phetchaburi MRT was resurfaced not long ago, already within a few weeks of the rainy season it is breaking again and floods any time there is significant rain. People might be right about BKK being completely flooded in the future. 

3 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

NO point in fixing the roads if you cannot fix the average thai drivers brain at the same time

So you won't mind hitting a sunken drain cover, coming off your bike and getting injured then? Not all Thai drivers/riders are bad. What about them? Really strange comment.

Driving anywhere in Thailand without a high quality helmet, is like playing Russian roulette with three bullets in the barrel. Especially in very hazardous places like Bangkok, and Samui (highest motorbike death toll on the planet, by far). Sure they need to improve the roads. But, there are things we can do to improve our odds. As evolved human beings, we have to take action, use our intellects, use common sense, and take precautions. Hard to have excessive sympathy for someone who will not even wear a helmet in a crowded city like Bangkok, where the roads are treacherous for motorbike riders, regardless of the condition of the pavement. 

14 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

The roads are better than in Indonesia. Maybe Thai motorbike tests and/or mandatory licence renewing videos could accent the perils of following too close and not being able to see what is in front?

I so agree , up here all the roads in and out of town seem to have been fixed and re surfaced but I don't like to follow too close to anything in front of me , there could be a pile of sand, gravel or even bricks in the middle of the road , 4 wheels miss it but 2 wheeels and oops !

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yes they are, and one needs to drive accordingly. If one can't drive according to the conditions one should not be driving at all.

However, every time I drove on the m'bike I never knew if I'd be returning safely.

7 minutes ago, GarryP said:

So you won't mind hitting a sunken drain cover, coming off your bike and getting injured then? Not all Thai drivers/riders are bad. What about them? Really strange comment.

LOL. I always assumed that the drain covers would be dangerous, there would be sand on the corners and potholes in the road.

However, the thing that brought me down was someone not looking where he was going and driving into me. That cost me large and a broken hand- I was lucky though, had I not been wearing a helmet I'd be dead or worse.

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. I always assumed that the drain covers would be dangerous, there would be sand on the corners and potholes in the road.

However, the thing that brought me down was someone not looking where he was going and driving into me. That cost me large and a broken hand- I was lucky though, had I not been wearing a helmet I'd be dead or worse.

Indeed, a few years ago a car driven by someone with no right to be behind the wheel came round a bend on my side of the road ( girl said she was driving , I agreed as her bf who was driving would of had no insurance ) , point is I had to buy a new crash hat as the visor was so scratched I couldn't see through it after , no visor and likely no face left.

598471036_HwyChiangMai-LampangFrontageRd-GoogleMaps.thumb.jpg.1948a6ffbb348887c5a99b999e6fb448.jpg

This lethal trap was still there this morning.  It's made worse by the fact that the frontage road loses a lane to the main road and many drivers don't see the problem until they're almost upon it.  Cars in the leftmost lanes don't care and so lots of people pull over very late - within inches of the hole.  Don't know if anyone has been hurt here but it's only a matter of time.

4 hours ago, BobbyL said:

They really are buggered in terms of being able to permanently fix some roads. The road near Makkasan ARL / Phetchaburi MRT was resurfaced not long ago, already within a few weeks of the rainy season it is breaking again and floods any time there is significant rain. People might be right about BKK being completely flooded in the future. 

Ah, the Venice of Asia. Can you imagine The way they would navigate boats.

6 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Sheeeet roads and not wearing a helmet don't go well together, she is lucky not to have suffered brain damage or something else, a lesson to be had perhaps ?

Not enough protection on the roads these days.. try this

even "win taxi riders could be interested" when they go to work/battle !

thumbnail.jpg

7 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Nice helmet, but needs a shield, you serious where all the tax dollars going?

9 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Nice helmet, but needs a shield, you serious where all the tax dollars going?

Half face helmets are the best, hence the name, "half face"

The previous gridiron helmet was wishful thinking on my part. 

As for the tax $'s, yep, I know ????

Image result for open face helmet with glasses

In a normal country you will win a lawsuit against the government for negligence. In LOS your s... out of luck.

I think the road hazards should stay, only the idiot drivers will have problem with them. Som na na.

26 minutes ago, myjawe said:

What about driving a car or taking a bus as anybody with a brain would do ? I do not feel for Thai in accident as they could not injure what they do not have anyway...

Nobody with a brain would take a bus...

Archived