Video: Motorist opens the door into a biker then drives off as if nothing had happened

webfact

3 hours ago, robblok said:

Even at your and my slower speed, there is no avoiding a suddenly opened door at the wrong time, only the damage is less then if your going faster. So its still on the person opening the door.

If the mirrors are correctly aligned for the driver the passenger cannot see what is coming through the mirror. They may have a reason to open the door even if it is to throw trash on the road. But if it was deliberate, that is the Thai way.

3 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Wasn't riding in the most lefthand lane.

Respect the laws of the Thailand. 

Then the pick up driver was very lucky it wasn't a truck and the man laying in hospital should be charged with reckless driving.

did you not think the rider might of been filtering through the traffic and making his way over to the right hand lane to turn right or do all bikes have to stay in the left lane and can only go straight or turn left.whenever you open a door you should check that it's safe to do so but in this case it appears the person couldn't be bothered.the other question is why on earth do they open the door when sat in the right hand lane themselves.

17 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

If the mirrors are correctly aligned for the driver the passenger cannot see what is coming through the mirror. They may have a reason to open the door even if it is to throw trash on the road. But if it was deliberate, that is the Thai way.

My neck & torso has ability to rotate a little to look what's approaching from behind.  No need for mirrors ????

Competent drivers will always check the mirror before opening a door. If opened a door when parallel parking...if driver doesn't look, may end up in having door ripped off by oncoming car, or this case motorcycle. With all the bikes passing by him, one has to wonder if he opened the door deliberately, or is just plain brain dead. No excuse.

8 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

They do have that word here , it is the word used for brain speed. If my TW is driving and says " I have an idea " I say better stop the car first , an idea and driving at the same time causes accidents.

Well spoken! It took a long time to find out that my wife isn't good at reading maps.

After some tries to find a particular place I figured out that it's much more convenient to get out and ask for the way myself.

Not trying to badmouth women in general now, but some really have a problem to think and speak at the same time. TIT! 

5 hours ago, happy chappie said:

the man laying in hospital should be charged with reckless driving.

Yes, by law he should have been riding in the most lefthand lane.

Perhaps he bought his license, or doesn't have one, or is a perpetual road criminal that doesn't care about the law!!! 

24 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Hahahaha, laws of Thailand....

I think of them more as, suggestions of Thailand ????

Sure, but the guy was saying splicing is illigal and we as motorcycles should keep to the left lane, that is true only in case of a two lane road. Had the discussion with cops quite a few times and it says so in the traffic rules too. 

I used to have a translated and Thai version of that part of the traffic law against scamming cops. Sometimes it helped sometimes it did not.

Many posts are saying it was the driver of the car who opened the door. Drivers sit on the right, the left door opened. The passenger was more likely to be the culprit. That of course does not exonerate the driver for leaving the scene. I also think the motorcyclist was partly to blame for going in between vehicles at a higher than safe speed, but then again, don't they all do it.

31 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

Many posts are saying it was the driver of the car who opened the door. Drivers sit on the right, the left door opened. The passenger was more likely to be the culprit. That of course does not exonerate the driver for leaving the scene. I also think the motorcyclist was partly to blame for going in between vehicles at a higher than safe speed, but then again, don't they all do it.

Even at low speed a suddenly opening door is unavoidable, i seen cyclist taken out this way and they don't go that fast. Sure it does matter how much damage is done of course.

21 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Well, you have to be an idiot to open a car door in traffic without looking. Other bikes were coming by pretty regularly. But to not offer any assistance and to drive off, is the work of a scumbag. I hope the cops catch up with this piece of work and make him suffer the consequences.

Yeah, wai and 500 baht, please.

21 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Well, you have to be an idiot to open a car door in traffic without looking. Other bikes were coming by pretty regularly. But to not offer any assistance and to drive off, is the work of a scumbag. I hope the cops catch up with this piece of work and make him suffer the consequences.

Unfortunately as it stands now, that fine would be ' Hindrance of Traffic ' 500 Baht. 

11 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Yes, by law he should have been riding in the most lefthand lane.

Perhaps he bought his license, or doesn't have one, or is a perpetual road criminal that doesn't care about the law!!! 

So how would you turn right of in a 3 lane carriageway.

in the video you can see many scooter pass by the car then the occupant decides to open the door without looking and why would you open a door while sat in the middle lane.

are you not the least suspicious that the pick up fled the scene due to the fact he was in the wrong.anyway we are missing the point....how do you turn right if you are only allowed to drive in the left lane???????

4 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

and now you have become a native

because they all do it

they all ignore common sense and drive like headless <deleted>

it makes no sense to drive between vehicles at speed, cautiously maybe ? 

if you drive into a door being opened and you break multiple bones in your body perhaps spine crippling yourself do your really feel the driver is at fault?

I suspect the truth hits one about then, were my actions responsible for this state of affairs?

mayhaps twas the shrine I passed but did not fully bow and send a prayer up to buddha for proper recycling?

Yesterday in asoke junction some motorbike crossed the right red as the cars were starting to pass (green light). He almost got hit by a taxi. Swear that guy survived due to a split second. <deleted> idiot. Plus we were all crossing the street. If he had hit the car and be thrown to us it could have affected us also. 

On 6/18/2019 at 11:00 AM, happy chappie said:

So how would you turn right of in a 3 lane carriageway.

in the video you can see many scooter pass by the car then the occupant decides to open the door without looking and why would you open a door while sat in the middle lane.

are you not the least suspicious that the pick up fled the scene due to the fact he was in the wrong.anyway we are missing the point....how do you turn right if you are only allowed to drive in the left lane???????

I notice the blind spot in your view though,  you can see many scooter pass by? I think not, you can see many scooters speeding through that gap, only buddha and blind luck knows how they travel so many km without getting injured but the probabilities are played out eventually 

that gap through which scooters speed on every street throughout BKK, Pattaya and everywhere else in Thailand, were I on a bike of any sort it would be with caution I would squeeze through such a gap between traffic

scale this up to those trucks with truck trailer and watch cars squeeze through the gap between wall and truck or truck and truck, it is the same mentality

the probability of surviving encounter is slightly higher when you have a cage or chassis around you but do it often enough you will get an accident of some sort

I get it you fall into the trap of believing its fine and safe because the locals do it but it does not mean it is a safe method, were you turning right you would be moving at a speed appropriate to turning right while squeezing through gaps in the traffic particularly because of all the other motorbikes speeding through the gaps

22 minutes ago, manchega said:

I notice the blind spot in your view though,  you can see many scooter pass by? I think not, you can see many scooters speeding through that gap, only buddha and blind luck knows how they travel so many km without getting injured but the probabilities are played out eventually 

that gap through which scooters speed on every street throughout BKK, Pattaya and everywhere else in Thailand, were I on a bike of any sort it would be with caution I would squeeze through such a gap between traffic

scale this up to those trucks with truck trailer and watch cars squeeze through the gap between wall and truck or truck and truck, it is the same mentality

the probability of surviving encounter is slightly higher when you have a cage or chassis around you but do it often enough you will get an accident of some sort

I get it you fall into the trap of believing its fine and safe because the locals do it but it does not mean it is a safe method, were you turning right you would be moving at a speed appropriate to turning right while squeezing through gaps in the traffic particularly because of all the other motorbikes speeding through the gaps

It only looks fast because of the traffic is at a standstill.he didn't even break the glass in the door or fly through the air.you can be doing 10kph but when someone decides to take you out with the car door trap you've not got a chance in hell.filtering through traffic on either side is legal in Thailand.im still waiting to hear what was the reason for the pick up to open its door in the middle of the multi lane road because that was the most stupid thing you could do.also if the pick up was in the right why did he run away.this should tell you about the pick up drivers attitude to other motorists.

On 6/19/2019 at 3:01 PM, happy chappie said:

It only looks fast because of the traffic is at a standstill.he didn't even break the glass in the door or fly through the air.you can be doing 10kph but when someone decides to take you out with the car door trap you've not got a chance in hell.filtering through traffic on either side is legal in Thailand.im still waiting to hear what was the reason for the pick up to open its door in the middle of the multi lane road because that was the most stupid thing you could do.also if the pick up was in the right why did he run away.this should tell you about the pick up drivers attitude to other motorists.

I explained above, Thai people like to swarm, they see a scuffle and join in on the side of karma, or depending on if they have penis of 2 cm or 4cm, sometimes motorbike vs driver, sometimes they all attack a female for being from Laos, or non Thai,  look online

this is Thai mentality, if you find yourself in an accident the best thing you can do is elave quickly, then tell police later you were afraid for your own safety

Archived