Going to Savannakhet, advise needed.

44 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

And where is it located from the night market or the Thai consulate? What is the name of the hotel?

Avalon Residence, near where the bus drops you off after coming from the border. The consulate is a few minutes away by a tuk tuk, or about 10-15 minutes walk up a gentle hill in 30+ degree heat if you don't want to spend 100 baht for the tuk tuk.

7 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

Thank you for the information. No need to be rude. I had a question.

Google maps could have answered your question as it did for me and I've never been there or intend going there.

Edited by Tanoshi

4 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Avalon Residence, near where the bus drops you off after coming from the border. The consulate is a few minutes away by a tuk tuk, or about 10-15 minutes walk up a gentle hill in 30+ degree heat if you don't want to spend 100 baht for the tuk tuk.

Thank you

20 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Your wife will be a liability at the border crossing.

If you're going overland she needs a passport, as the office for 'passes' isn't open until after 9am, sometimes later.

Border immigration sometimes give out false information to Thai wifes in an attempt to prevent your attempt at a VISA.

Thanks for your advice, which follows my wife accompanying me to Laos probably 10 times. She has a passport, but has sometimes used the office for passes, which opens at 8.30 but in my experience has opened early if people are waiting (as there always are). They are very friendly and helpful as they are dealing with their own.

My wife also speaks Lao as she comes from Issan, and that makes it a hell of a lot easier getting around and negotiating with the tuk tuk or taxi drivers.

Your last comment is nonsense, unless you care to explain why an immigration officer would want to prevent me getting a visa to live with my wife.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Thanks for your advice, which follows my wife accompanying me to Laos probably 10 times. She has a passport, but has sometimes used the office for passes, which opens at 8.30 but in my experience has opened early if people are waiting (as there always are). They are very friendly and helpful as they are dealing with their own.

My wife also speaks Lao as she comes from Issan, and that makes it a hell of a lot easier getting around and negotiating with the tuk tuk or taxi drivers.

Your last comment is nonsense, unless you care to explain why an immigration officer would want to prevent me getting a visa to live with my wife.

Yes totally agree.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

See it myself 2 or 3 times.

Don't ask me why Thai immigration do the stuff they do, I haven't a clue.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Make sure that you've got your original marriage certificate, a copy of it, a copy of the house book and some photos. The visa is 5,000 baht.

So, how long is the validity period of the multi-entry Non-O they issue there based on marriage to a Thai citizen?

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

8 hours ago, Carlosm said:

The visa form asks for a "guarantor" in Laos...

The VOA form you've posted above asks for a contact name and no. in Laos...

How do folks who have no presence or contacts in Laos usually fill in those details?

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The visa form asks for a "guarantor" in Laos...

The VOA form you've posted above asks for a contact name and no. in Laos...

How do folks who have no presence or contacts in Laos usually fill in those details?

Very good question.

11 hours ago, oldmanstan said:

Real tip to save time, forget about going to Savanahket.  Grab a ticket to ho chi min, enjoy cheap beer and go to a consulate with a line up of 5-10 people in a shaded / air-conditioned office.

And what type/types of visas are available there at present?

How many entries, what duration?  And financial docs required or not?

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So, how long is the validity period of the multi-entry Non-O they issue there based on marriage to a Thai citizen?

Valid for 1 Year from date of issue,You still have to do border runs every 90 Days or Less...But If you do you're last one the day BEFORE or on the day the Visa Expires you get a further 90 Days on Re-Entry to Thailand But You MUST Re-Enter BEFORE The Visa Expires....So you can get very close on 15 Months out of The Original Visa......

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Nong Khai Man said:

Valid for 1 Year from date of issue,You still have to do border runs every 90 Days or Less...But If you do you're last one the day BEFORE or on the day the Visa Expires you get a further 90 Days on Re-Entry to Thailand But You MUST Re-Enter BEFORE The Visa Expires....So you can get very close on 15 Months out of The Original Visa......

Sorry but your info is wrong, you don't have to do border runs every 90 days, you can go to your local IO & get a 60 day extension stamp for 1900 Baht so you get 150 days before you have to do another border run then you repeat this again so you are now up to 300 days then do another border run which gets you 90 days now as you stated you need to do another border run just before the visa runs out not the 90 stamp & you will get another 90 days, so 365 days (Your 1 year visa) + 90 days then get a 60 day extension stamp so you can get close to

17 months out of the 1 year visa ????

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JASON THAI said:

Sorry but your info is wrong, you don't have to do border runs every 90 days, you can go to your local IO & get a 60 day extension stamp for 1900 Baht so you get 150 days before you have to do another border run then you repeat this again so you are now up to 300 days then do another border run which gets you 90 days now as you stated you need to do another border run just before the visa runs out not the 90 stamp & you will get another 90 days, so 365 days (Your 1 year visa) + 90 days then get a 60 day extension stamp so you can get close to

17 months out of the 1 year visa ????

Yes You are correct in some parts of this ( Go & Get an extension instead of a Border run ?? ) That's O.K IF You have the 400k in the bank to show the IO For the Extension,IF You Do Why would you go to the trouble of getting the Multi " O " In the 1st Place,Just get a SINGLE Entry & Then you can EXTEND For 1 YEAR ( & That's only 1 Time to pay 1900 Baht ) IF You have the required amount in the bank.....That IS !!!!!

Edited by Nong Khai Man
More Added

Talking of Savannakhet, has anyone any info on the fabled "e-visa" (to Laos) system that was due to go online in 2017, then 2018, and most recently "in June 2019"? Any sightings?

And to those suggesting Wednesday is now the best day, is this because Tuesday is filled with the bus-trippers from Monday getting their passports back?

I really don't understand the poster/s who suggest a Thai wife is a liability at the Lao border - on previous trips it's one of the few places mine has been of use!

20 minutes ago, isaanistical said:

Talking of Savannakhet, has anyone any info on the fabled "e-visa" (to Laos) system that was due to go online in 2017, then 2018, and most recently "in June 2019"? Any sightings?

It must be a fable since I don't recall seeing anything about it in writing in the news or elsewhere.

25 minutes ago, isaanistical said:

It may well be fiction, but there are a number of sites referring to it (eg: https://www.laosevisa.com/). My question was partly because I don't trust them!

That site still mentions the standard visa on arrival.

The e visa mentioned appears to be for those than cannot get a VOA or want a longer stay visa.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

That site still mentions the standard visa on arrival.

The e visa mentioned appears to be for those than cannot get a VOA or want a longer stay visa.

see also: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/asean-plus/30366557 - "E-visa for Laos to go online in June".

11 minutes ago, isaanistical said:

see also: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/asean-plus/30366557 - "E-visa for Laos to go online in June".

I missed that one back in March.

Reading that article it still appears that the VOA may still be a better option for those that can get one.

No fees mentioned for the e visas yet that I can see on the website you posted a link to. If you click apply they ask for your email so that they can inform you when it is available.

image.png.d3b7b1f42472a7c251b5be229cfdcb29.png

On 6/17/2019 at 4:41 PM, Tanoshi said:

Any hotels anyone can recommend?

Avalon Residence is clean, has fast WiFi and the staff are very polite. Not far from the Thai embassy. I stayed there for 3 nights from last Sunday until today and had no issues at all.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Nong Khai Man said:

Yes You are correct in some parts of this ( Go & Get an extension instead of a Border run ?? ) That's O.K IF You have the 400k in the bank to show the IO For the Extension,IF You Do Why would you go to the trouble of getting the Multi " O " In the 1st Place,Just get a SINGLE Entry & Then you can EXTEND For 1 YEAR ( & That's only 1 Time to pay 1900 Baht ) IF You have the required amount in the bank.....That IS !!!!!

Why do you need to show 400,000 for a 60 Day Stamp ? on the form you just put to see wife & child, never been asked to show 400,000 in the bank for 60 Day stamp LOL 555 that's for a 1 year extension visa stamp which is the rules when you apply to get your visa extended by 1 year but for short extensions eg 60 days, 30 days you do not have to show any money just pay 1900 Baht, I came in with the same visa from the UK in 2015 which you get in Savannkhet 1 Year Marriage Multi Entry done a border run & got an extension for 60 days they did not ask to see 400K before I switched over to the 1 year Marriage Visa a few years back 

3 hours ago, JASON THAI said:

Why do you need to show 400,000 for a 60 Day Stamp ? on the form you just put to see wife & child, never been asked to show 400,000 in the bank for 60 Day stamp LOL 555 that's for a 1 year extension visa stamp which is the rules when you apply to get your visa extended by 1 year but for short extensions eg 60 days, 30 days you do not have to show any money just pay 1900 Baht, I came in with the same visa from the UK in 2015 which you get in Savannkhet 1 Year Marriage Multi Entry done a border run & got an extension for 60 days they did not ask to see 400K before I switched over to the 1 year Marriage Visa a few years back 

I Think You Might find that They've MOVED The Goalposts Since 2015.....

6 hours ago, Nong Khai Man said:

I Think You Might find that They've MOVED The Goalposts Since 2015.....

In some ways, yes. But financial proof is still unnecessary for the 60-day extension to visit your Thai spouse or child.

9 hours ago, lovesthespicy said:

Hey im going here on Monday(wish me luck!). I've got a flight out in 90s days from my enter date. Will I be good showing them that or do I need a 60 day ticket? 

Thanks

Get the the Thai embassy very early, as there will be hundreds queuing, At least by 7am

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BritTim said:

In some ways, yes. But financial proof is still unnecessary for the 60-day extension to visit your Thai spouse or child.

That's correct as you are applying to stay for another 60 days not 1 year so no need to show 400K in the bank & if they did ask to see your bank book you would need to have 80k to cover the 2 months cost of living (40K x2) but I have never heard of this happening Nong Khai must be on wacky backy 555 or has not thought of this, his way would mean you would have to do 4 Border crossings every year after you get the visa from Savannkhet & 90 day stamp re-entering LOS at a cost of 1100 Baht per Laos Visa if paying in $ so in total 4400 Baht (to get around 15 months from the 1 year visa) the way to do it with 60 day extensions would mean only 2 Border crossing a year after you get the visa from Savannkhet & 90 day stamp re-entering LOS at a cost of 1100 Baht per Laos Visa if paying in $ costing 2200 Baht, Plus another 3 x 60 day extensions (1900 Baht each) so 5700 Baht bring a total cost of 7900 baht (to get around the same 15 months from the 1 year visa) I know you can do it a little different to get close to 17 months out of the 1 year visa but the cost adds ups. in the end you pay 3500 Baht more doing it via the extension route but you have 2 less Border runs (Costing 2200 Baht) to do & you saves money on travel cost,less stress & saves pages in your passport (you will use around 6 pages a year but with the extension way you will use around 4 pages per year) 

Edited by JASON THAI

Just to clarify your post.

You can get almost 13 months from 2 x border crossings and 2 x 60 day extensions.

You can get almost 17 months with 3 x border crossings and 3 x 60 day extensions.

Edited by Tanoshi