Going to Savannakhet, advise needed.

5 hours ago, geronimo said:

Get the the Thai embassy very early, as there will be hundreds queuing, At least by 7am

Thanks for the advice. I was already planning on getting there at 630 am with a book to read. Not expecting it to be fun but it was either Monday or come on Friday and spend the weekend there.

I'll be sure to report and let u guys know how the foot traffic is. 

I should be good with a ticket out in 90 correct? I'm going to have to get a throw away ticket otherwise. I know diff consulates have diff rules allthe time.

11 minutes ago, lovesthespicy said:

I should be good with a ticket out in 90 correct? I'm going to have to get a throw away ticket otherwise. I know diff consulates have diff rules allthe time.

Ticket out for what?

3 minutes ago, lovesthespicy said:

Ticket out of Thailand back home. My ticket is for 90s days after I come back not 60.

I meant what Visa. (TV)?

I was told by good authority no tickets out required at Savannakhet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JASON THAI said:

That's correct as you are applying to stay for another 60 days not 1 year so no need to show 400K in the bank & if they did ask to see your bank book you would need to have 80k to cover the 2 months cost of living (40K x2) but I have never heard of this happening Nong Khai must be on wacky backy 555 or has not thought of this, his way would mean you would have to do 4 Border crossings every year after you get the visa from Savannkhet & 90 day stamp re-entering LOS at a cost of 1100 Baht per Laos Visa if paying in $ so in total 4400 Baht (to get around 15 months from the 1 year visa) the way to do it with 60 day extensions would mean only 2 Border crossing a year after you get the visa from Savannkhet & 90 day stamp re-entering LOS at a cost of 1100 Baht per Laos Visa if paying in $ costing 2200 Baht, Plus another 3 x 60 day extensions (1900 Baht each) so 5700 Baht bring a total cost of 7900 baht (to get around the same 15 months from the 1 year visa) I know you can do it a little different to get close to 17 months out of the 1 year visa but the cost adds ups. in the end you pay 3500 Baht more doing it via the extension route but you have 2 less Border runs (Costing 2200 Baht) to do & you saves money on travel cost,less stress & saves pages in your passport (you will use around 6 pages a year but with the extension way you will use around 4 pages per year) 

Nong Khai must be on wacky backy 555 I Assure YOU that I'm NOT,I Just prefer to do it MY Way Don't Have to face " Mr Smiley " at NK Imm....O.K I Use about 6 Pages in my passport a year, Still The Best Way IMHO For ME !!

40 minutes ago, lovesthespicy said:

Ohh TV. Hmmm interesting thought I read somewhere I needed that, proof of funds, and bank statement. I'll bring it just in case though. 

Thanks

I was advised for a TV the only documents required were;

Completed application form.

Passport.

Copy of Passport.

2 of, 3x4cm passport photos.

The fee 1,000 baht.

Proof of 20,000 THB funds or equivalent – Bank Statement.

6 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Just to clarify your post.

You can get almost 13 months from 2 x border crossings and 2 x 60 day extensions.

You can get almost 17 months with 3 x border crossings and 3 x 60 day extensions.

That is correct, you will need to make sure you do a border run just before your visa is going to expire (Not you 90 day stamp) then you will get another 90 days & you extend this for 60 days which will give you close to 17 months from 1 year visa  

4 hours ago, JASON THAI said:

That is correct, you will need to make sure you do a border run just before your visa is going to expire (Not you 90 day stamp) then you will get another 90 days & you extend this for 60 days which will give you close to 17 months from 1 year visa  

Mmmm!

I know, you posted one of my posts at #85.

20 hours ago, lovesthespicy said:

Thanks for the advice. I was already planning on getting there at 630 am with a book to read. Not expecting it to be fun but it was either Monday or come on Friday and spend the weekend there.

I'll be sure to report and let u guys know how the foot traffic is. 

the receipt ticket doesn't have a queue number on it, so you can collect anytime between 2-4 pm

Went to Savv on Wednesday... Been there many times so know the routine...

Arrived at the bridge car park at 8.50am, walked to the office for Mrs.Trans border pass, then on to bus ticket office, pass through Thai immigration and waited for the bus.

Got to the other side and applied for Laos visa on arrival, then pass through Laos immigration. Taxi to Thai consulate. Applied for multi-O visa. Then got tuk- tuk to digs near the river. Sat down and had an early beer, that was 10.20am.

Could be the quickest I have ever done it, 1 hour 30 minutes..????

But, the next day return journey just to collect PP was a different story, 2 hours 30 minutes in total....????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, transam said:

Went to Savv on Wednesday... Been there many times so know the routine...

Arrived at the bridge car park at 8.50am, walked to the office for Mrs.Trans border pass, then on to bus ticket office, pass through Thai immigration and waited for the bus.

Got to the other side and applied for Laos visa on arrival, then pass through Laos immigration. Taxi to Thai consulate. Applied for multi-O visa. Then got tuk- tuk to digs near the river. Sat down and had an early beer, that was 10.20am.

Could be the quickest I have ever done it, 1 hour 30 minutes..????

But, the next day return journey just to collect PP was a different story, 2 hours 30 minutes in total....????

Thanks for the post.

Trans border pass, do you have to pay for it ?

How much is the bus across ?

Laos visa on arrival is 1,500 baht, correct ? In another post someone said they asked for 200 baht when they gave you the visa on arrival, did they ask you ?

How much was the taxi to the consulate, metered or haggled for ?

Why so long the next day, big queue ?

I live in Phetchabun so i've got an 8 hour drive, going Tuesday and staying in a hotel as like you i've heard Wednesday's are quiet. Also, like to know approximately how much everything costs as to not get ripped off.

2 minutes ago, Carlosm said:

Thanks for the post.

Trans border pass, do you have to pay for it ?

How much is the bus across ?

Laos visa on arrival is 1,500 baht, correct ? In another post someone said they asked for 200 baht when they gave you the visa on arrival, did they ask you ?

How much was the taxi to the consulate, metered or haggled for ?

Why so long the next day, big queue ?

I live in Phetchabun so i've got an 8 hour drive, going Tuesday and staying in a hotel as like you i've heard Wednesday's are quiet. Also, like to know approximately how much everything costs as to not get ripped off.

Border pass for a Thai is 50bht...They pay 50bht again to Lao immigration on return.

Bus over the bridge is 50bht each. Same for return....

Lao visa is 1500bht or you can pay in $'s which is cheaper but at Savv they do not have a sign up stating which countries pay what so I just pay in baht..No other charge.

Taxi's are a rip off...On Wednesday there was a mob of them, 300 bht was asked, they were told in a nice way where to go...I just said 200 bht, someone always takes the 200 bht...The consulate is a 5 minute ride, but way to far to walk...

• Thanks 1

I always pay for the Lao VOA in USD as that's much cheaper. In my case (depends on nationality), $30 vs. 1500 baht. The VOA people have always been friendly enough, I just ask them politely if I can pay in USD.

4 minutes ago, Caldera said:

I always pay for the Lao VOA in USD as that's much cheaper. In my case (depends on nationality), $30 vs. 1500 baht. The VOA people have always been friendly enough, I just ask them politely if I can pay in USD.

For UK folk it is $35, worth knowing they take $ there...

• 4 months later...
20 hours ago, JASON THAI said:

Always good to pay in $ as you will save around 500 Baht on your visa fee 

Yes I Have to do a Border Run Next Week,I Bought my 35US$ in the Bank yesterday @30,33 to the Pound,So cost me 1061 Baht,So Saving 439 Baht by paying in TB, Not a Fortune but " Better in My Pocket " Than Theirs !!

3 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

Yes I Have to do a Border Run Next Week,I Bought my 35US$ in the Bank yesterday @30,33 to the Pound,So cost me 1061 Baht,So Saving 439 Baht by paying in TB, Not a Fortune but " Better in My Pocket " Than Theirs !!

Be sure that each note is like brand new, any that ain't will not be accepted...

7 hours ago, transam said:

Be sure that each note is like brand new, any that ain't will not be accepted...

Yes Mate I Know that,Had some refused a Couple of years ago at Savanakhet but IO Just told me to go to the bank around the corner & They would change them to NEW Ones I Did that & They DID.....

Just done visa at Savannakhet. 8 people in line applying same time as me. On collecting passport next day only me and one other. Guard locked gate as we left. Met 3 guys who were refused TV. 1 because 6 months in Thailand this year. Second guy no blank pages in passport. Third guy 5 years in Thailand on ED TV and VE. Lucky guy. Also he was refused in Vientiane 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toosetinmyways said:

Just done visa at Savannakhet. 8 people in line applying same time as me. On collecting passport next day only me and one other. Guard locked gate as we left. Met 3 guys who were refused TV. 1 because 6 months in Thailand this year. Second guy no blank pages in passport. Third guy 5 years in Thailand on ED TV and VE. Lucky guy. Also he was refused in Vientiane 

No pages in passport, that's a cracker....????

• Haha 2

On 11/2/2019 at 6:28 PM, Nong Khai Man said:

Yes Mate I Know that,Had some refused a Couple of years ago at Savanakhet but IO Just told me to go to the bank around the corner & They would change them to NEW Ones I Did that & They DID.....

Did my Border Hop Yesterday ( Tuesday ) from Nong Khai,Had a 10 US$ BILL REJECTED,Not Torn or written on it was just a Little Dirty...Luckily I Had some extra 1 US$ Bills with me so Gave him 10 of those....Took the 10 US$ Bill back with me to Nong Khai,Bangkok Bank Changed it WITHOUT Any hesitation......Weird People those Lao's when yer see the state of MOST of their Own Notes !!!!

• Like 1