Government tries again to protect Pattaya Near Islands from ruin

Rimmer

Government tries again to protect Pattaya Near Islands from ruin

n2-J-13-01-Chonburi-bay.jpg

PATTAYA:--Scuba divers, sea walkers and restaurant boats may face new restrictions as the government moves to protect Pattaya’s Near Islands.

Chonburi Deputy Gov. Wisit Pungpetch chaired a June 13 meeting on a Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment draft announcement that would designate Koh Larn, Koh Sak and Koh Krok as protected environmental areas.

The latest draft is the third to be issued in the past nine years with none of them having been implemented.

Wisit explained the contents of the draft announcement and said meetings and public hearings eventually will be scheduled.

Impacted will be “sea walkers” who use surface-supplied air to walk on the sea bed – and far too often on top of coral reefs – scuba divers, tourist boats and restaurant boats. (PCPR)

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2019-06-17--

15 hours ago, Rimmer said:

restaurant boats may face new restrictions

Another scam like jet-ski operators.  Ship you out; serve you an indifferent meal; charge high prices; hold you to ransom until a return boat becomes 'available'.

16 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Another scam like jet-ski operators.  Ship you out; serve you an indifferent meal; charge high prices; hold you to ransom until a return boat becomes 'available'.

Never been on one. That bad eh... sounds like a Carnival cruise without the food poisoning!

On 6/17/2019 at 10:23 AM, Rimmer said:

Impacted will be “sea walkers” who use surface-supplied air to walk on the sea bed – and far too often on top of coral reefs – scuba divers, tourist boats and restaurant boats.

the road to hell is paved with good intentions

Koh Larn is already massively built on....Your about 50 years to late for a nature preserve.

And the restaurant boats are in Pattaya bay sitting and doing nothing...And they are damaging what?..... 

On 6/17/2019 at 9:23 AM, Rimmer said:

Impacted will be “sea walkers” who use surface-supplied air to walk on the sea bed – and far too often on top of coral reefs – scuba divers, tourist boats and restaurant boats. (PCPR)

I dare say the walkers have good intentions, but when faced with faeces heading your way, you tend not to look at your feet

13 hours ago, fforest1 said:

And the restaurant boats are in Pattaya bay sitting and doing nothing...And they are damaging what?..... 

I think you have "hit the Nail on the Head", doing nothing, (not contributing to politicians benevolent funds).

4 hours ago, Redline said:

The problem is pure laziness- the land of no responsibility - grown children you might say 

Combined with a good slice of greed and pressure. 

I like the idea of limiting tourism to the Island, which is far from the reality we find now. The attraction of the place when I first came to Thailand was the stark difference to Pattaya yet close proximity. Thais have a habit of turning any popular destination into a trash heap. Surprised Phuket has survived. 

Was on Koh Larn last month. What a trash heap. It's an absolute disgrace, I will not be returning, that's for sure.

We have a saying  "don't shit in your own nest"  the Thai's seem happy to do so.

Archived