New health centres aim to serve foreigners with world-standard services

webfact

38 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Nope, I get code 55020 on my bill, 50bht.

Nursing fees are listed separately at 90bht, but not on my bill for ongoing appointments (which I don't fully understand).

My charges are often just 55020 + medication.

Quite correct- same occurred with me when I had to go to local.

42 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Nope, I get code 55020 on my bill, 50bht.

Nursing fees are listed separately at 90bht, but not on my bill for ongoing appointments (which I don't fully understand).

My charges are often just 55020 + medication.

Interesting.

I went to the hospital a couple of days ago and also had 55020 on my bill for 50 Baht. The Thai said 'outside patient'

However, I went to a military hospital, where the priority is clearly stated on signs:

1. military personnel

2. families of military personnel

3. other patients

I asked my wife about the 'outside patient', in case I'd misunderstood what exactly it was referring to.

She said it was non-military patients, not foreigners.

She has no reason to lie - she's the one paying the bill.

It maybe be different in your case, I don't know. Perhaps see if the description is different to mine?

On 6/17/2019 at 3:40 PM, webfact said:

It also set up the Centre of Asean Health Network Collaboration (AHNC) at provincial health offices, in order to promote tourism and support the free migration of foreigners into Thailand, said deputy permanent secretary for public health, Dr Pisit Sriprasert.

"and support the free migration of foreigners into Thailand"???  Come again?  You gotta be kidding?

The Medical services for foreigners will run into a brick wall if Immigration isn't going to play nicely.  And given that it seems issuing a 77 year old Alzheimer's patient living in a Chiang Mai Alzheimer's Care facility seemed to be beyond their ability or desire to do - I don't see how these medical services that are supposed to "support the free migration of foreigners into Thailand" will ever be successful.  Especially for those seeking end-of-life care or nursing home care in Thai facilities.  Especially if they refuse to grant these patient 'medical visas' that they rightfully should have.
And let's not even factor in the strong Thai baht that now makes these services expensive enough as to not be of relative value to what a person can receive in their home country in many cases, especially in the premier, upscale hospitals that these guys are no doubt trying to tout.
Now if they are just pitching this to rich foreigners - what's the point? 

21 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Interesting.

I went to the hospital a couple of days ago and also had 55020 on my bill for 50 Baht. The Thai said 'outside patient'

However, I went to a military hospital, where the priority is clearly stated on signs:

1. military personnel

2. families of military personnel

3. other patients

I asked my wife about the 'outside patient', in case I'd misunderstood what exactly it was referring to.

She said it was non-military patients, not foreigners.

She has no reason to lie - she's the one paying the bill.

It maybe be different in your case, I don't know. Perhaps see if the description is different to mine?

55010 the fee is 300 baht

ค่าบริการพยาบาลทั่วไป (IPD) "Hospital Inpatient care (IPD) requires that you have a medical problem that is serious enough for a doctor to admit you into the hospital for an overnight stay"

55020 the fee is 50 baht 

ค่าบริการผู้ป่วยนอก ในเวลาราชการ OPD Outpatient Service charge within normal Office hours

"Outpatient are a patient who is not hospitalized overnight but who visits a hospital, clinic, or associated facility for diagnosis or treatment"

55021 the fee is 50 baht

ค่าบริการผู้ป่วยนอก นอกเวลาราชการ OPD (Outpatient Service charge for service Outside Office hours)      

"Outpatient are a patient who is not hospitalized overnight but who visits a hospital, clinic, or associated facility for diagnosis or treatment"  

8 hours ago, wotsdermatter said:

Having had service at several of these facilities over the 20+ years of my time in Thailand, never once have I experienced any problems using English with any of the staff you mention.  They have always been polite, respectful, and competent in their duties, including their use of the English language.  By the way, at least they spell NIL correctly.

'nuf sed.

I haven’t lived here twenty years and live a long way from Bangkok and that has been my experience as well.

7 minutes ago, Trollmann said:

Maybe this article is regarding something similar to the two New Express clinics in hua hin hospital

poster__0049.jpg

can't understand their " Only Cash" request, if these are legitimate business why not accept any other form of payment.... I understand cash it's easy to hide but maybe another reason???

1 hour ago, Trollmann said:

55020 the fee is 50 baht 

ค่าบริการผู้ป่วยนอก ในเวลาราชการ OPD Outpatient Service charge within normal Office hours

{snipped}      

Thanks for the clearer explanation.

My not so clever Thai: I read the first phrase (as I said earlier) as outside patient, missing the obvious that it means outpatient!

I thought it meant either a) not a member on the military patients list, or b) 'outside' as perhaps foreigner.

Yes, it also mentioned about within normal office hours too.

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

can't understand their " Only Cash" request, if these are legitimate business why not accept any other form of payment.... I understand cash it's easy to hide but maybe another reason???

Unless it's changed fairly recently payments at 30Baht hospitals are cash only. 

On 6/17/2019 at 4:40 AM, webfact said:

in order to promote tourism and support the free migration of foreigners into Thailand, said deputy permanent secretary for public health

It will be interesting to see if this is an effort to provide quality healthcare in an environment designed for foreigners or if it is an effort to segregate foreigners in order to use the traditional tiered pricing found throughout Thailand. 

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

I think that the reason that they say "cash only" actually means that it is not entitled to any discounts from thai health coverage plans.

Like in the special single private room at the hospital the room have a set price, but the price that must be paid is different depending on the rights the patient are covered by

see example:

Type rettigheter thai sykehus.png

want good quality,  affordable medical treatment go to India.  I'm there now. Awesome doctors who can all speak English, have done residencies  and specialized training in England hospitals and facilities and prices about 1/3 of Thailand. MRI $55.65 CT scan $55.65, angioplasty and stents (US product) starting at $3,000 - 6 for $8,000, private room $100 per night. Hundreds of beating heart valve replacements done every week -- no open ches. I don't even consider Thai hospitals/  doctors any more, especially that rip-off palace Bumrungrad. My friend had 2 coronary stents at Bumrungrad  -- $16,500! Ouch!
And only 3 hours flying time from Bangkok.

On 6/18/2019 at 12:08 PM, chama said:

... if this is an effort to provide quality healthcare ... or if it is an effort to segregate foreigners in order to use the traditional tiered pricing found throughout Thailand. 

Good question.

It sounds like the typical Thai business mentality, if one is good, open hundreds.  As others have posted there are plenty of hospitals around Thailand in the major cities that will service foreigners quite well, and some very affordably.  Somebody thinks there is a way to make money by doing this.  Maybe as part of the proposed medical insurance requirement for retirees or long term stay foreigners they will be induced or charged some fees to support this?

Archived