Jump to content
BANGKOK 19 July 2019 02:42
Jonathan Fairfield

Police hunt two teenagers after Jordanian tourist's credit card stolen in Chiang Mai

Recommended Posts

Jordanian tourist’s lost credit card used

By The Nation

 

Screen Shot 2562-06-17 at 16.20.06.png

Image: Thairath

 

A Jordanian tourist filed a report with police on Monday after noting that his credit card had been used twice after he lost it in Chiang Mai.


Hani M Alabada, 37, told officers at the Muang Chiang Mai police station that he had lost his credit card while cycling downtown on Sunday and that it had been used twice.

 

It was first used to buy Bt600-worth of goods from a convenience store on Ratphakinai Road and an hour later was used as payment for a diamond ring worth Bt10,000.

 

He filed the complaint after being notified by SMS from his bank of the two purchases.

 

A staff member of the jewellery shop in a shopping mall said a Thai teenager had used the card, claiming it belonged to his father, who is a foreigner, so the shop accepted the card.

Police are hunting for the teen who appears on the shop’s security camera.

 

thenation_logo.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Samuel Smith said:

Same here, but when I eventually want to use it, the cc company refuses the transaction coz I'm not in UK!

Then your company seems to suck perhaps ? ? (sorry)....never had any issues with mine delivered from another EU country.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here lies the problem. I have never had a cashier check my signature on the credit docket against the signature on my credit card in Thailand. Alternatively other countries have dispensed with signatures and now the dreaded PIN  number is used.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

The store is pretty stupid to fall for that story...even he is a relative, policy doesn’t allow for family members to use a CC card...

 

company policy should be refuse to pay given use out of country...

 

did customer let CC company know he was out of country?

 

You were doing ok for your first sentence.... Then it quickly went downhill. Likely the owner already used it in Thailand. So....

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, edwinchester said:

"A staff member of the jewellery shop in a shopping mall said a Thai teenager had used the card, claiming it belonged to his father, who is a foreigner, so the shop accepted the card."

 

BS excuse to cover an obvious fraudulent transaction.

 

Sometimes a jewelry shop will write up a phony credit card charge (Say 10,000 Baht) then give the ‘customer’ a certain percentage of cash in place of the merchandise. So... the thief walks away with maybe 20% and the shop files the card purchase and keeps the remaining 80%.....along with the original piece of merchandise.

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, edwinchester said:

"A staff member of the jewellery shop in a shopping mall said a Thai teenager had used the card, claiming it belonged to his father, who is a foreigner, so the shop accepted the card."

 

BS excuse to cover an obvious fraudulent transaction.

Not necessarily a cover, just that there would be nothing on earth that would prevent them getting a sale. If a dog had walked in with it they would still process the order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The FIRST order of business if one loses a credit or ID card is to call the card company or bank/make a police report (for lost ID) to have it blocked, so it cannot be used. What was Mr. Alabada doing - waiting in his hotel room for someone to bring his card/s back?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, bendejo said:

Isn't the drill to report the lost card to the cc company?

 

 

Yes but you also have to inform the police of its loss

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...