Police hunt two teenagers after Jordanian tourist's credit card stolen in Chiang Mai

What’s important is not the charges appearing but whether the company pays them....that is up to the card owner to let them know ASAP about lost card and what was his last purchase prior to losing the card....

As long as the CC company doesn’t pay the charges, the police involvement is more to the benefit of the purchase companies b/c they are w/o reimbursement minus their products...

the kids will slip up somewhere and get caught....

28 minutes ago, Jaybott said:

Why didn't he notify his CC company he lost his card?  They would have "locked" it preventing anyone from using it.  I have two cards that I can lock myself through the App or on line.

What makes you say that he didn't advise them when he knew it was missing?  The transactions were only an hour apart.

33 minutes ago, Galactus said:

shop needs to  be responsible for this as they did a transaction without checking the ID.

possibly in purpose.

I'm not a fan of chargebacks being a merchant but...

He will win a chargeback. The store will not be happy losing 10k baht plus item and bank fees. 

3 hours ago, Hayduke said:

Sometimes a jewelry shop will write up a phony credit card charge (Say 10,000 Baht) then give the ‘customer’ a certain percentage of cash in place of the merchandise. So... the thief walks away with maybe 20% and the shop files the card purchase and keeps the remaining 80%.....along with the original piece of merchandise.

Once the theft of the card is reported, the cc company will reverse the charge and not pay it.

12 hours ago, observer90210 said:
17 hours ago, Samuel Smith said:

Same here, but when I eventually want to use it, the cc company refuses the transaction coz I'm not in UK!

Then your company seems to suck perhaps ? ? (sorry)....never had any issues with mine delivered from another EU country.

Giving the CC issuer a "travel alert" may solve Samuel Smith's problems.

I suggest he give it a try.

18 hours ago, bendejo said:

Isn't the drill to report the lost card to the cc company?

Maybe he did. And in return they told him of the purchases made on it. No reason they would contact him otherwise, although I know they do sometimes query a purchase if it seems unusual. I doubt that the purchases made would raise an alarm.

The person who accepted the card for a 10,000 baht purchase should be fired for being an idiot and not fit for purpose. Really, a five-year-old wouldn't fall for such a story.

10 hours ago, bendejo said:

If you give them a call and tell them what country you'll be in, and when, you should be good to go.

Both of my credit card companies said calling them and putting on a travel alert was no longer needed. I thought they were making things easier. Both refused the charge to a Bangkok hotel as "unusual activity" though I charged that hotel 6 times per year for 11 years on one of the cards. I asked the rep to put a note on my account saying I was in Thailand. She said she would but that it wouldn't make a difference.

The other company said they would send a security code to my cell on record which is an American phone.

Can you say "less than helpful"? It took me 30 minutes to checkout! Luckily I wasn't taking a flight. But the taxi driver wasn't happy. The next time I try to charge I will be flying. Not looking forward to the hassles.

Do they have a way to smooth the problems out? I doubt it. What a pain! There's  got to be a better way.

13 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Then your company seems to suck perhaps ? ? (sorry)....never had any issues with mine delivered from another EU country.

Some Credit Cards issuers require a notification of the foreign countries to be visited and/or where the card may be used.

20 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

A staff member of the jewellery shop in a shopping mall said a Thai teenager had used the card, claiming it belonged to his father, who is a foreigner,

did the teenager look like mixed race kid sine he claimed the father was foreigner, quite confusing story

19 hours ago, Samuel Smith said:

Same here, but when I eventually want to use it, the cc company refuses the transaction coz I'm not in UK!

You normally have to tell the cc company when you are going to be using your card in a

different country to where it was issued.

2 hours ago, Jaybott said:

Why didn't he notify his CC company he lost his card?  They would have "locked" it preventing anyone from using it.  I have two cards that I can lock myself through the App or on line.

The guy said that he didn't realise the cards were missing untill the issuer contacted him

to alert him of the transactions, it was then that he went to the police to report the theft.

20 hours ago, Samuel Smith said:

Some credit card suppliers do ask for notification if using their card abroad but many don't anymore.  Using cash is still the preferred form of payment in Thailand but in the UK it is getting harder to use all the time.

20 hours ago, Samuel Smith said:

I have to maintain a UK address for mine, but I can use it anywhere in the world - wouldn’t bother with it otherwise 

14 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Yeah, but even if the store clerk was not involved in the original theft/scam, as many of you have noticed, the Thais rarely check for proper ID or signature or card ownership.  They process the sale and hope the business transaction goes through.  Now if this Jordanian has a proper card system, he should be re-imbursed for the charge.  I don't know what will happen to the shop and if the shop will then get stuck with the bill.  I would think the fact the shop clerk admitted he processed the card, obviously without proper ID check, he or the shop should be liable for the charges and the credit card company will send them the bill?

As you said - involved or not. The lack of request for ID is the main failure. Its just about selling no matter what ...

I have never been asked for an ID when using my credit Cards in Thailand, but this said it is not only Thailand this happens ...

14 hours ago, bendejo said:

If you give them a call and tell them what country you'll be in, and when, you should be good to go.

A few years ago, I received a 'fraud warning'.  My bank card had been cloned and was being used within hours in two cities in the states.  I remember one of them being Atlantic City.  Called the bank who told me that they would have to cancel my card which meant quite a wait for a new card.

I did what you suggested above and told them that any transaction outside of Thailand, unless I inform them, is false.

"Good idea, sir.  However, all we can do is set it for use abroad and not for individual countries"

18 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Yeah, but even if the store clerk was not involved in the original theft/scam, as many of you have noticed, the Thais rarely check for proper ID or signature or card ownership.  They process the sale and hope the business transaction goes through.  Now if this Jordanian has a proper card system, he should be re-imbursed for the charge.  I don't know what will happen to the shop and if the shop will then get stuck with the bill.  I would think the fact the shop clerk admitted he processed the card, obviously without proper ID check, he or the shop should be liable for the charges and the credit card company will send them the bill?

It all comes down to the rules in the country of the bank that issued the card....

In the U.S., in such a case, the cardholder would not be responsible for the fraud/charges, as long as he reported them to his bank within a reasonable time after learning of them.

In Thailand, for a Thai bank issued card, the cardholder is pretty much responsible for everything that occurs with the card PRIOR to you calling them to report the card lost or stolen.... So in this guy's case, with a Thai card, he'd be on the hook for the charges, fraud notwithstanding.

I have no idea what kind of banking consumer protection rules exist in Jordan... And it wouldn't matter that he was using the card/or the card was used in Thailand. It's the country of the card issuing bank that determines the rules, not where the charges occur.

2 hours ago, HHTel said:

"Good idea, sir.  However, all we can do is set it for use abroad and not for individual countries"

Different banks have different rules about that, depending on their systems...

Some can only block or enable international transactions at large.

But others with more sophisticated systems can block/enable down to individual countries.

I have various banks and cards, and some operate in the first mode, and others operate in the second mode. Some just want to know if I'm traveling anywhere international. Some want to know specifically what countries I'll be visiting so those can be unblocked.

On 6/17/2019 at 12:54 PM, bendejo said:

Isn't the drill to report the lost card to the cc company?

Some shops do have floor limits and then the card will not popup as stolen for a short time even when they are already reported missing or stolen.

8 hours ago, outsider said:

The FIRST order of business if one loses a credit or ID card is to call the card company or bank/make a police report (for lost ID) to have it blocked, so it cannot be used. What was Mr. Alabada doing - waiting in his hotel room for someone to bring his card/s back?

He probably only realized he has lost his card when the first SMS of the usage came.

The jewelry shop is the key - nobody sells a B 10K anything without checking at least the signature; a teenager's claim that his Dad ......... All big Bull; arrest the jewelers and they will spill the (real) beans ????

18 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

The store is pretty stupid to fall for that story...even he is a relative, policy doesn’t allow for family members to use a CC card...

company policy should be refuse to pay given use out of country...

did customer let CC company know he was out of country?

Did this 100% Thai kid look like a Luuk khuerng? How was his Jordanian?

i bet clerk didn’t even ask what nationality he was? Could he not have checked where the card was issued from? What was your father’s name again? The kid wouldn’t be able to pronounce let alone spell it....can I speak with your father since you have his card? Could have caught him in a lie but store more interested in sale than legitimacy?

I recall in the past that a parent or a relative could issue a letter and that would authorize the card to be used by their child.  Of course such a letter is trivial to fake.   And of course multiple users can be properly authorized to use a card, I think even if all their names are not on the card, such as a husband and wife.  But again, if the clerk doesn't check a single thing, ...

On 6/17/2019 at 4:56 PM, edwinchester said:

"A staff member of the jewellery shop in a shopping mall said a Thai teenager had used the card, claiming it belonged to his father, who is a foreigner, so the shop accepted the card."

BS excuse to cover an obvious fraudulent transaction.

You think !

On 6/17/2019 at 5:59 PM, Samuel Smith said:

You need to notify them you are out of the country and even then some cards have a limit on the length the notice is good for so you may have to renew the notice on a regular basis. Be happy your card has good enough security to block foreign transactions without prior notification by you.

Archived