Non-Imm O Retirement from Jomtien

I'm toying with going down to Jomtien to see if I can get any useful info out of them..

What i want to know is:

1) Can i use 3-6 monthly 65k transfers from abroad?

2) Can i use 3-6 monthly 40k transfers plus 400k in bank for Combination method?

3) Do they usually ask for proof of pension? or can i just provide other income proof such as foreign bank balances, investments, foreign rental income agreement?

4) the above can be used for the year retirement extension after the initial 90 days?

Anyone have the answers, specifically for Jomtien?

1. If it is your first extension application the answer is yes. 

2. If you showed transfers of 40k baht per month they would assume that is what your normal monthly transfers will be for 12 months to reach a annual income number to combine with the money in the bank to reach total of 800k baht. Using your example you would have a total of 880k baht.

3. They may ask for proof of the source of your income. There is no rule that states it has to be a pension.

4. Yes

• Like 2

2. If you showed transfers of 40k baht per month they would assume that is what your normal monthly transfers will be for 12 months to reach a annual income number to combine with the money in the bank to reach total of 800k baht. Using your example you would have a total of 880k baht.
3. They may ask for proof of the source of your income. There is no rule that states it has to be a pension.
4. Yes
With 2) just to clarify, as its part year let's say 6 months of transfers. The balance required, would it need to be 800k-(6x40k)= 560k+? or is it less as it's only 6 months?

35 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:
4. Yes

With 2) just to clarify, as its part year let's say 6 months of transfers. The balance required, would it need to be 800k-(6x40k)= 560k+? or is it less as it's only 6 months?

They would use the average of the transfers you have done to a get monthly amount and multiply that by 12 to get a annual income. Unless you transfer the money in baht it will vary a small amount every month. For example 41k baht then 40.5k and etc for all your transfers.

If you transferred exactly 40k baht every month they multiply that by 12 to get a total of 480k baht.

• Like 1

They would use the average of the transfers you have done to a get monthly amount and multiply that by 12 to get a annual income. Unless you transfer the money in baht it will vary a small amount every month. For example 41k baht then 40.5k and etc for all your transfers.

If you transferred exactly 40k baht every month they multiply that by 12 to get a total of 480k baht.
Are you certain Jomtien is honoring partial year combo deposits where the actual amount transferred falls under the 800k including the banked money? Or are you saying what you think they should do? Because personally I'm skeptical that they will accept such under 12 month combo applications if the literal sum transfered plus banked money falls under 800k.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Are you certain Jomtien is honoring partial year combo deposits where the actual amount transferred falls under the 800k including the banked money? Or are you saying what you think they should do? Because personally I'm skeptical that they will accept such under 12 month combo applications if the literal sum transfered plus banked money falls under 800k.

They have accepted applications using the combination option.

What I wrote fits the requirement for the first extension since it states only only one transfer is needed to meet the income requirement according to the police order. One transfer proves the income a person has coming into the country.

The Official who signs extensions at Jomtien Immigration said the following about retirement extensions:

Regarding retirement extensions, Khun Pichai said that first time applicants must be able to show at least two months of income coming from overseas or traceable to a taxable source in Thailand. 

For renewal of retirement extensions, the applicant must be able to show 12 months income from abroad or from  a taxable source in Thailand. The applicant must also be able to show the income transferred into a Thai bank around the same time each month. 

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1092651-explainer-here’s-what-is-required-by-chonburi-immigration-for-tm30-and-retirement-extensions/

42 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They have accepted applications using the combination option.

What I wrote fits the requirement for the first extension since it states only only one transfer is needed to meet the income requirement according to the police order. One transfer proves the income a person has coming into the country.

OK.

So the answer to my question seems to be that you don't actually KNOW that Jomtien will accept such combo applications as I described. 

Which is --

Combo application

Under 12 months transfers (non- embassy letter people)

The TOTAL of the transfers that are shown plus the bank balance being under 800K

I agree they SHOULD accept such applications if the deposits are projected over 12 months.

I'm just saying I'm not sure they actually will be accepted at Jomtien and applicants should be aware of this possible uncertainty.

10 hours ago, SEtonal said:

The Official who signs extensions at Jomtien Immigration said the following about retirement extensions:

That was from late March when it was early days of the new rules for extensions based upon retirement.

Things have probably changed now.

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

So the answer to my question seems to be that you don't actually KNOW that Jomtien will accept... 

I suppose one can tell that:

nobody knows for sure what can happens in any Immigration Office. 

One can only assume that if many people report the same experience at the same office, it can, eventually, be condider as an (temporary) applied rule there. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Does "first extension application" mean FIRST EVER application? Or if somebody who's been staying on previous retirement extensions left Thailand (near the end of currently authorized stay) and re-entered on a new non-imm O, and then went to Immigration for an extension of that new stay, it would be considered a "first extension"??

16 minutes ago, Carolina Reaper said:

Does "first extension application" mean FIRST EVER application? Or if somebody who's been staying on previous retirement extensions left Thailand (near the end of currently authorized stay) and re-entered on a new non-imm O, and then went to Immigration for an extension of that new stay, it would be considered a "first extension"??

First extension is one for a 90 day non-o visa entry or a OA visa 1 year entry. It does not matter if it is one done after being on extensions before.

• Thanks 1

Follow up question...if i decide to transfer 3 months of 65k then get the Non O retirement, continue the 65ks then get the year extension before the 90 days....when could i switch to combo method? straight after getting the yearly extension? then reduce transfers and have the 400k in the bank the following year when i apply?

9 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
15 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Follow up question...if i decide to transfer 3 months of 65k then get the Non O retirement, continue the 65ks then get the year extension before the 90 days....when could i switch to combo method? straight after getting the yearly extension? then reduce transfers and have the 400k in the bank the following year when i apply?

You could do that but immigration might be a suspicious about what you did when you apply for the next extension using the combination option. They might ask why your monthly income went down.

I just had a jaw dropping experience at Jomtien, although i tried not to drop my jaw. I wanted to ask those questions in the Op.I was given a ticket for desk 7 which is change visa desk. I'll summarise the points:
- I can't use income method 65k a month to change to Non Imm O.
- I'd need 800k in the bank to convert
- when I asked she said i could go to Laos and get the Non Imm O
- Unclear whether I could use the monthly 65k to then apply for the year retirement extension as not 12 months. Not her desk i think, desk 8.
- She said no to Combination method, seemed to not understand it at all although i explained it twice.
- She offered to fix the problem by her arranging the Non imm O and year retirement extension for 20,000 baht. So same as agent but a 1,000 baht cheaper.

So even if i went to Savannakhet to get the Non Imm O it's still not clear if i could then get a year retirement extension, she was talking about 12 months of 65k, but she seemed unsure on that.

It wasn't easy to ask questions as she was typically hostile but softened up towards the end when she thought she'd sold the 20,000 baht fix

• Like 1

I am also a bit hesitant to go to the Jomtien Office for clarification - so try to get an answer here.

I am currently on a Multiple Entry Retirement Visa that will expire in July.

1) if I get a 1 year extension on that one with a 1 Entry - does that mean, I can go out &           come back in ONE time during the period of the (new) Visa?, 

2)There is also the possibility that I will NOT be able to come back to LOS for 1-1.5 years. Is     the best option under that scenario - to just let my current Visa (in July) run-out and     whenever I am ready to come back, just come back in on a NORMAL 30 Day stay, then get   an extension at the Jomyien Office and then have it converted to a Retirement Visa (again)?   I guess this way is easier that applying for the Retirement Visa back in Oz?

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

I just had a jaw dropping experience at Jomtien, although i tried not to drop my jaw. I wanted to ask those questions in the Op.I was given a ticket for desk 7 which is change visa desk. I'll summarise the points:
- I can't use income method 65k a month to change to Non Imm O.
- I'd need 800k in the bank to convert
- when I asked she said i could go to Laos and get the Non Imm O
- Unclear whether I could use the monthly 65k to then apply for the year retirement extension as not 12 months. Not her desk i think, desk 8.
- She said no to Combination method, seemed to not understand it at all although i explained it twice.
- She offered to fix the problem by her arranging the Non imm O and year retirement extension for 20,000 baht. So same as agent but a 1,000 baht cheaper.

So even if i went to Savannakhet to get the Non Imm O it's still not clear if i could then get a year retirement extension, she was talking about 12 months of 65k, but she seemed unsure on that.

It wasn't easy to ask questions as she was typically hostile but softened up towards the end when she thought she'd sold the 20,000 baht fix

"- She offered to fix the problem by her arranging the Non imm O and year retirement extension for 20,000 baht. So same as agent but a 1,000 baht cheaper."

Just as I've thought since the new rules started, they aren't designed to prevent people from using agents or paying under the table, but to encourage it. This is why there are so many surly IOs when you want to go down the legal route.

Despite it being in the police order amendment, there isn't one person on here who can guarantee that Jomtien immigration are going to show leniency on the monthly income method without an embassy letter.

Also, I for one am still uncertain as to what is required for the combination method.

Edited by jesimps
  • Like 1

"- She offered to fix the problem by her arranging the Non imm O and year retirement extension for 20,000 baht. So same as agent but a 1,000 baht cheaper."

Just as I've thought since the new rules started, they aren't designed to prevent people from using agents or paying under the table, but to encourage it. This is why there are so many surly IOs when you want to go down the legal route.

Despite it being in the police order amendment, there isn't one person on here who can guarantee that Jomtien immigration are going to show leniency on the monthly income method without an embassy letter.

Also, I for one am still uncertain as to what is required for the combination method.

Surly is a good description. She said NO to the Combination method, but there is a glimmer of hope, she is desk 7, maybe no.8 retirement desk might be less closed minded. At the beginning she wouldn't let me talk, being surly, she was banging on about my passport which was irrelevant because I'm not 50 yet but her ears were closed. She wanted to describe how it all worked which i didn't ask, but i let her bang on, in the end i managed to get across I'm not 50 until the end of the year and that's when she started smiling, probably realised she should have opened her ears earlier

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Surly is a good description. She said NO to the Combination method, but there is a glimmer of hope, she is desk 7, maybe no.8 retirement desk might be less closed minded. At the beginning she wouldn't let me talk, being surly, she was banging on about my passport which was irrelevant because I'm not 50 yet but her ears were closed. She wanted to describe how it all worked which i didn't ask, but i let her bang on, in the end i managed to get across I'm not 50 until the end of the year and that's when she started smiling, probably realised she should have opened her ears earlier

Is counter 7 the first on the left behind a glass screen? If so, I know what you were up against. I went there in January for a letter of residence to open a Bangkok Bank account. She flatly refused to issue me one, saying I had to get it from my embassy. If that's the rule then ok, but she was really offhand with me, no attempt to answer my valid queries. I kept my cool, but was blazing inside. Why are low-level public servants here so nasty and unhelpful to people, even when those people are being polite towards them? I have a policy now never to ask questions of immigration, if I need help I normally ask on here.

• Like 1

Is counter 7 the first on the left behind a glass screen? If so, I know what you were up against. I went there in January for a letter of residence to open a Bangkok Bank account. She flatly refused to issue me one, saying I had to get it from my embassy. If that's the rule then ok, but she was really offhand with me, no attempt to answer my valid queries. I kept my cool, but was blazing inside. Why are low-level public servants here so nasty and unhelpful to people, even when those people are being polite towards them? I have a policy now never to ask questions of immigration, if I need help I normally ask on here.
Yeah they are low quality people, the surly lady i dealt with thought she was smart with all the other workers around her but was a bit thick really. Didn't want to listen to any questions just wanted to spout off.

The desk you are referring to is 9 that deals with Residence certs, next desk is 8 which is Retirement, the next room is 7 far right, it's like going in the lions den. When she offered the 20k fix in a loud surly voice there must have been 5+ employees who could easily hear. The whole office is in on it
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jesimps said:

There is no guarantee on anything,  Jomtien included, all you can do is have Plan 2 or 3 available if required.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, pontious said:

There is no guarantee on anything,  Jomtien included, all you can do is have Plan 2 or 3 available if required.

You're right. I already have 400,000 odd in the bank for a marriage extension, but I only want to go that route as a last resort. I'm going to try the retirement monthly income method, but by the time I opened a BB account using Transferwise, it was February, so I'm hoping they show leniency. Failing that, I'll try the combination method, so I'm waiting for positive reports on either of them before falling back on the dreaded marriage visa option.

19 minutes ago, wreckingcountry said:

Someone will tell you one thing and another day someone else will tell you something different !

Only on this forum are many people who like to repeat this statement...

In the real world, I never heard of different officers asking different documents for the same service at Jomtien Immigration. They have requirements lists that all IO follow. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

scubascuba3 wrote:

She offered to fix the problem by her arranging the Non imm O and year retirement extension for 20,000 baht. So same as agent but a 1,000 baht cheaper.

This makes no sense. I know of at least two agencies on Soi Buakhao that will do my extension for 13 thousand baht.

scubascuba3 wrote:

She offered to fix the problem by her arranging the Non imm O and year retirement extension for 20,000 baht. So same as agent but a 1,000 baht cheaper.

This makes no sense. I know of at least two agencies on Soi Buakhao that will do my extension for 13 thousand baht.

You are getting mixed up with the initial 15 months non imm O and extension 20,000 baht, an agent charges 21,000 for that. The annual extension is 12,500 with an agent

10 hours ago, Awinkl said:

I am also a bit hesitant to go to the Jomtien Office for clarification - so try to get an answer here.

I am currently on a Multiple Entry Retirement Visa that will expire in July.

1) if I get a 1 year extension on that one with a 1 Entry - does that mean, I can go out &           come back in ONE time during the period of the (new) Visa?, 

2)There is also the possibility that I will NOT be able to come back to LOS for 1-1.5 years. Is     the best option under that scenario - to just let my current Visa (in July) run-out and     whenever I am ready to come back, just come back in on a NORMAL 30 Day stay, then get   an extension at the Jomyien Office and then have it converted to a Retirement Visa (again)?   I guess this way is easier that applying for the Retirement Visa back in Oz?

Will try to add to this. I am unsure what Visa you have as not familiar with a 'Retirement' Visa. I can only guess at a Non-Imm O Multiple? (A Visa is obtained outside of Thailand from a consul or Embassy). Or do you currently have a retirement extension?

1) If you get a one year extension on the permit to stay, and also obtain a Re-Entry Permit, You may leave Thailand and return a single time up to the permission date of the Extension. 

2) If you stay out of Thailand over 1 year you will not have any valid extension and yes can return via Visa Exempt or  Tourist Visa. You can extend either a single time for 30 days at Immigration Jomtiem. To head towards a Retirement Extension you would need to convert either the VE or TV entry to a Non-Imm-O entry. This needs to be done with 2 weeks remaining. Then the Permission will be converted to 90 days. In the last month of that you can apply for an Extension based on retirement at Immigration. 

I do not mean to be pedantic on terminology, but you can see how it can be confusing. 

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Jomtien Immigration earlier to ask about my first retirement extension. I said I had a non imm O based on retirement (I haven't yet but want to know the next stage), There is "NO LENIENCY" so you need 12 months of 65k, i said I cannot do I'll only have 3 months, can i pay for extension, she said yes 17,000 baht.
She was pleasant and polite a nice change from the surly woman from desk 7.

Agents charge 12,500 but I don't think this is for the first extension. 17,000 for the extension isn't much less than the 20,000 quoted for the 15 months Non Imm O and extension, so I'll just get that and avoid the Non O Savannakhet trip