Fatboy Slim debuts unusual collection of smiley memorabilia

snoop1130

Fatboy Slim debuts unusual collection of smiley memorabilia

By Emily Mee

skynews-fatboy-slim-norman-cook_4696165.jpg

Fatboy Slim is curating an exhibition in Lisbon which features his smiley collection

Fatboy Slim has unveiled an art collection which includes hundreds of items of smiley memorabilia he has collected.

The Praise You producer has spent 40 years accumulating pieces including a smiley toaster, cuff links, condoms, clocks, wristbands and shoes.

He has now curated an art exhibition in Lisbon, called Smile High Club, which celebrates his love of the popular symbol.

The musician, real name is Norman Cook, has a giant mural on the roof of his house and owns a tattoo of a smiley face and cross bones - the unofficial logo of Fatboy Slim.

Full Story: https://news.sky.com/story/fatboy-slim-debuts-unusual-collection-of-smiley-memorabilia-11743322

29 minutes ago, KMartinHandyman said:

I’ve heard of Root Boy Slim and the Sex Change Band,, but not this guy.

He’s an English DJ from the 90s/00s.  One of the most famous DJs of all time.  You have probably heard some of his music.  It has been sampled far and wide by other musicians, for commercials, movies, tv shows, video games etc.  Nominated for and won many awards.  Pretty unique artist.  Amazing the size of the crowds he would draw (250,000 at Brighton Beach)

49 minutes ago, KMartinHandyman said:

Hey!!!  I love it.  I absolutely cannot believe I have never even heard of this guy.  Interesting that Fagen and Becker were the ones who got him signed.  Awesome funky music with hilarious lyrics.  He must have caused quite a commotion in his day.  Music was definitely more fun back then.

Just listened to a bunch of his stuff on YouTube (boogie til you puke, dare to be fat, hey mr president, Pizza Hut woman, fruit picker Saturday night and...what could well be the perfect song for Expats here...

Thanks again for turning me on to something so cool.

Having been terribly depressed lately, this news article is exactly what I needed.  A musician I loved in my past who collects happy faces.

Back in a former life in Columbia Mo, also at another time I was depressed, I used to go to a local arcade and play skee-ball.  I had won so many coupons that I had never cashed in until the day I saw yellow smiley face yo-yos in the case.  I had enough coupons for about 50 of them.  I traded the coupons for a box of yo-yos, and then went back to my loft on a non-residential street downtown in the restaurant/coffee shop district.  I was the only person who lived on the street...above a tattoo parlor/head-shop.  Always some interesting characters hanging out downstairs outside my door.

i set the box of yo-yos on the bench in front of the shop and went upstairs.  For the next few weeks, I would occasionally see someone with one of those yo-yos and for a while, I was happy.

i wish I had a box of yo-yos now.

Hey!!!  I love it.  I absolutely cannot believe I have never even heard of this guy.  Interesting that Fagen and Becker were the ones who got him signed.  Awesome funky music with hilarious lyrics.  He must have caused quite a commotion in his day.  Music was definitely more fun back then.

Just listened to a bunch of his stuff on YouTube (boogie til you puke, dare to be fat, hey mr president, Pizza Hut woman, fruit picker Saturday night and...what could well be the perfect song for Expats here...

Thanks again for turning me on to something so cool.

You’re welcome, yes they were good musicians with funny, edgy, ironic lyrics. Definitely weren’t shooting for top 40’s. Check his bio,family and education for a laugh if you’re interested.
You could see them any night in Washington D.C. clubs for years. I left “The Rootettes” his backup girls off the title, they were the cherry on top.
Rootboy has an expat song, lol “I’m not to old for you”

Another one from here is Big Joe (Maher) & the Dynaflows if you like blues. Had them play at a friends house at the holidays one year. Nice guy, classic blues man.

5 minutes ago, KMartinHandyman said:

You’re welcome, yes they were good musicians with funny, edgy, ironic lyrics. Definitely weren’t shooting for top 40’s. Check his bio,family and education for a laugh if you’re interested.
You could see them any night in Washington D.C. clubs for years. I left “The Rootettes” his backup girls off the title, they were the cherry on top.
Rootboy has an expat song, lol “I’m not to old for you”

Another one from here is Big Joe (Maher) & the Dynaflows if you like blues. Had them play at a friends house at the holidays one year. Nice guy, classic blues man.

Was just reading his Wikipedia page...kicked out of prep schools....Yale.  Me too!  Well...the kicked out of Prep School part. ????

Archived