Top Gear sprays LGBT pride flag on cars used in Brunei filming

snoop1130

Top Gear sprays LGBT pride flag on cars used in Brunei filming

by Tara Conlan

5129.jpg

Freddie Flintoff with the resprayed cars. He said: ‘We would never have filmed in Brunei had the law been announced beforehand.’ Photograph: Jeff Spicer/PR

Motoring show makes gesture after hearing of country’s threat to punish gay sex with death by stoning.

Support for LGBT rights has come from a surprising quarter after Top Gear sprayed two cars used in filming in Brunei in rainbow colours in opposition to the country’s threat to make homosexuality punishable by stoning to death.

Thought to be the first time the BBC Two motoring programme has shown solidarity with the LGBT community, the move appears to back the claim made by the new lineup of Freddie Flintoff, Paddy McGuinness and Chris Harris that they would bring a “different vibe” to the revamped show – which returned on Sunday night.

Flintoff told the Guardian he and his colleagues were horrified after hearing the announcement about the imposition of the death penalty by the south-east Asian country just after they filmed a segment there at the end of March.

Full Story: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/jun/17/top-gear-sprays-lgbt-pride-flag-on-cars-used-in-brunei-filming

The BBC got rid of the best three presenters Top Gear that they ever had, replaced them with others, twice, and ratings never did get back to where they were. Now in this new series, the presenters are attempting to politicise the program.  This particular episode has not been shown yet, so maybe Freddie and co are just trying to "up" the audience figures.

Shame really as originally Top Gear was worth watching as it was about cars rather then about presenters personnel egos.

First thing is to look at your audience, apart from Christopher Fry and a few other guests Top Gear stayed away from the LGBTQ etc. crowd and it might be wise to continue. The comments that Flintoff and the other presenters were “ horrified “ is the usual virtue signalling that pours out of every so called personality these days.

Try to keep some credibility in respect of what used to be a good show, please.

1 hour ago, geoffbezoz said:

Shame really as originally Top Gear was worth watching as it was about cars rather then about presenters personnel egos.

You're obviously not referring to the Clarkson era Top Gear, then.

First thing is to look at your audience, apart from Christopher Fry and a few other guests Top Gear stayed away from the LGBTQ etc. crowd and it might be wise to continue. The comments that Flintoff and the other presenters were “ horrified “ is the usual virtue signalling that pours out of every so called personality these days.
Try to keep some credibility in respect of what used to be a good show, please.

Who is Christopher Fry ??
Any relation to Stephen ?

1 hour ago, Centrum said:
2 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

You're obviously not referring to the Clarkson era Top Gear, then.

Nor Leblanc

The Sultan is a man of such brutish ignorance, such a flaming fool, such an immoral, fake puritan. He has led a life of debauchery, and now he imposes these ridiculously harsh penalties on his people. Dumb and dumber. Fake puritanism. Usually, those that are the most extreme in these acts of ignorance, are the ones who are the most guilty. That certainly applies with this charlatan.

So, why now? “Who knows?” says Reza Aslan, religious scholar and author of “Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth.” “This is obviously not coming from a place of religious devotion, since the Sultan himself is in violation of every single rule of Sharia law you could possibly imagine.”Enlarge ImageIndeed, the Sultan and his equally decadent brother, Prince Jefri, were dubbed “constant companions in hedonism” in 2011 by Vanity Fair. He lives in a palace with 1,788 rooms, 257 bathrooms, five swimming pools, a mosque, a banquet hall that holds 5,000 people and a 110-car garage. When he turned 50, the Sultan built a stadium, invited Michael Jackson to perform in it and paid him $17 million for three concerts.

Jefri, 59, maintains a separate pleasure palace and once owned a 152-foot yacht called Tits; he named its tenders Nipple 1 and Nipple 2, and could never understand why others often found that juvenile and crass. Here and abroad, the brothers are infamous for their sex parties and their harems composed mainly of underage girls.

https://nypost.com/2014/05/10/inside-the-wacky-sex-obsessed-world-of-brunei/

“It’s a radical double standard,” says Jillian Lauren, who wrote about her life as a member of Jefri’s harem in her memoir, “Some Girls.” “They have more money than anyone else. I know that they both have been married and divorced multiple times. It’s really hypocritical.”

It wasn’t until 2001, when Jefri was forced to auction off personal possessions after using the country as a piggy bank — spending an average of $747,000 a day for 10 years, on top of $17 billion in gifts to friends and family — that the sultanate’s true vulgarity was exposed. (His brother also treats the country as an ATM, and it remains a crime in Brunei for anyone to ever discuss how the leaders spend their money.)

Among this heinous families many possessions:

• The Dorchester Hotel luxury chain
  • More than 17 airplanes, including a private, customized Boeing 747 and an Airbus 340-200 — often used to transport their harems and the South American professional polo players they rent for sport
  • 9,000 cars, including two custom-made Mercedes-Benz firetrucks
  • 150 homes in 12 countries
  • A private zoo
  • One 12-foot-tall rocking horse
  • Four life-size statues depicting Jefri having sex with a fiancee ($800,000)
  • A global network of employees to procure women
  • Asprey, jeweler to the Queen of England
  • 10 luxury watches, at a cost of $8 million, that showed a couple having sex every time the hour struck
  • Hundreds of thousands of suits by Versace and Armani
  • A golf course designed by Jack Nicklaus
  • Gold-plated toilet bowl brushes
  • A sofa shaped like a Cadillac
  • Dozens of bowling alley machines, pool tables, pizza ovens and grand pianos
  • A professional lab to develop film
  • 16,000 tons of marble, stacked in warehouses

3 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

The BBC got rid of the best three presenters Top Gear that they ever had, replaced them with others, twice, and ratings never did get back to where they were. Now in this new series, the presenters are attempting to politicise the program.  This particular episode has not been shown yet, so maybe Freddie and co are just trying to "up" the audience figures.

I only clicked on when I saw Top Gear , forgot it was now crawler gear.

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The Sultan is a man of such brutish ignorance, such a flaming fool, such an immoral, fake puritan. He has led a life of debauchery, and now he imposes these ridiculously harsh penalties on his people. Dumb and dumber. Fake puritanism. Usually, those that are the most extreme in these acts of ignorance, are the ones who are the most guilty. That certainly applies with this charlatan.

So, why now? “Who knows?” says Reza Aslan, religious scholar and author of “Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth.” “This is obviously not coming from a place of religious devotion, since the Sultan himself is in violation of every single rule of Sharia law you could possibly imagine.”Enlarge ImageIndeed, the Sultan and his equally decadent brother, Prince Jefri, were dubbed “constant companions in hedonism” in 2011 by Vanity Fair. He lives in a palace with 1,788 rooms, 257 bathrooms, five swimming pools, a mosque, a banquet hall that holds 5,000 people and a 110-car garage. When he turned 50, the Sultan built a stadium, invited Michael Jackson to perform in it and paid him $17 million for three concerts.

Jefri, 59, maintains a separate pleasure palace and once owned a 152-foot yacht called Tits; he named its tenders Nipple 1 and Nipple 2, and could never understand why others often found that juvenile and crass. Here and abroad, the brothers are infamous for their sex parties and their harems composed mainly of underage girls.

“It’s a radical double standard,” says Jillian Lauren, who wrote about her life as a member of Jefri’s harem in her memoir, “Some Girls.” “They have more money than anyone else. I know that they both have been married and divorced multiple times. It’s really hypocritical.”

It wasn’t until 2001, when Jefri was forced to auction off personal possessions after using the country as a piggy bank — spending an average of $747,000 a day for 10 years, on top of $17 billion in gifts to friends and family — that the sultanate’s true vulgarity was exposed. (His brother also treats the country as an ATM, and it remains a crime in Brunei for anyone to ever discuss how the leaders spend their money.)

• More than 17 airplanes, including a private, customized Boeing 747 and an Airbus 340-200 — often used to transport their harems and the South American professional polo players they rent for sport
  • A private zoo
  • 10 luxury watches, at a cost of $8 million, that showed a couple having sex every time the hour struck

I think you will find the truth is as with all these tools they are a means to power have enough zealots beleiving your god is the only true one cos the profit was <deleted> kids while they have to repress more and more

of course you 've got power

5 minutes ago, manchega said:

I think you will find the truth is as with all these tools they are a means to power have enough zealots beleiving your god is the only true one cos the profit was <deleted> kids while they have to repress more and more

of course you 've got power

Just some of the excesses of this Sultan and his brother. Fake morality. False spirituality by men who know nothing about purity or spirit. Nothing.

images-3.jpeg

images-2.jpeg

images-1.jpeg

images.jpeg

Unknown.jpeg

I am happy I grew up in a time when boys could be boys and just enjoy cars and bikes. And they could even make dirty jokes and enjoy them with their friends.

No, I won't paint a rainbow on my bike to make it and me politically correct.

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am happy I grew up in a time when boys could be boys and just enjoy cars and bikes. And they could even make dirty jokes and enjoy them with their friends.

No, I won't paint a rainbow on my bike to make it and me politically correct.

Same for me too. The world is upside down and back to front with the PC brigade leading the charge for perversity IMHO

27 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Just some of the excesses of this Sultan and his brother. Fake morality. False spirituality by men who know nothing about purity or spirit. Nothing.

images-3.jpeg

images-2.jpeg

images-1.jpeg

images.jpeg

Unknown.jpeg

I would rather be very honest and say that if I enjoyed his wealth, I no doubt would do exactly the same, and damn well enjoy it.

20 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

• A private zoo

Spider,

I don't understand your problem with the Sultan. It is his country to do with as he pleases. If the locals or their religious leaders want Islamic or Sharia law then so be it. 

The Sultan's wealth and what he does with it is his business. As for being a man of such brutish ignorance, well his family did pay for him to go to Sandhurst. So he should know something. Maybe his peccadilloes are a result of boredom and being stuck with ruling a small tropical swamp exacerbated by not being allowed alcohol. (Although I have had a beer in Brunei)

Another famous Asia ruler once said that everyone thinks it is like a pyramid with me at the top and others below, when in fact the pyramid is upside down a resting on my shoulder.

As for the Sultan's list of possessions: I'd be happy with all that lot although I may not share his particular interest in art. But in fairness I haven't seen any of it.

Make your political statements in a country ruled by a Sharia Law absolute monarchy and take you chances. They were lucky to escape with their heads attached. 

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Spider,

I don't understand your problem with the Sultan. It is his country to do with as he pleases. If the locals or their religious leaders want Islamic or Sharia law then so be it. 

The Sultan's wealth and what he does with it is his business. As for being a man of such brutish ignorance, well his family did pay for him to go to Sandhurst. So he should know something. Maybe his peccadilloes are a result of boredom and being stuck with ruling a small tropical swamp exacerbated by not being allowed alcohol. (Although I have had a beer in Brunei)

Another famous Asia ruler once said that everyone thinks it is like a pyramid with me at the top and others below, when in fact the pyramid is upside down a resting on my shoulder.

As for the Sultan's list of possessions: I'd be happy with all that lot although I may not share his particular interest in art. But in fairness I haven't seen any of it.

My problem is with judgment in general. It is the mark of a small man, with no spiritual understanding. And my issue is with Sharia. It is a law created by men, out of fear, and has nothing whatsoever to do with spirit, religion, or belief. It is all about a small number of men with a lot of power trying to control the masses in a cruel and intolerable manner. There is no place for Sharia in the 21st century. In any nation. 

And I do not think the locals want Sharia law in Brunei. The religious leaders? What do they know? 

Shariah law is interpreted in many ways across the Muslim world, and many say Brunei's penal code is an extreme example of what Shariah proscribes. Human rights observers point out that although Brunei is a very socially conservative country, the new laws were most likely enacted without any input from Brunei's 430,000 citizens.

"Issuing the death penalty by throwing stones is as if someone is trying to take civilization back to the age of savagery," Mizanur Rahman, the former chairman of the Bangladesh National Human Rights Commission, told DW. "It is totally unacceptable under modern jurisprudence."

Rahman added that the Brunei decision to enact the death penalty by stoning was a "political stunt" adopting practices that supposedly are part of an ancient Islamic civilization.

"We can only say that we feel pity for the people and rulers of Brunei, who have failed to grasp progressive elements of the religion [Islam] and have resorted to brutal and barbarous ways for the purpose of political benefit," said Rahman.

"If they decide to do it tomorrow, if they line someone up, they could certainly follow through and we would be faced with headlines about someone being stoned to death in Brunei," Phil Robertson, Asia director of Human Rights Watch (HRW), told DW.

https://www.dw.com/en/bruneis-shariah-penal-code-how-asian-muslims-respond-on-social-media/a-48202092

On 6/18/2019 at 5:04 PM, geoffbezoz said:

I would rather be very honest and say that if I enjoyed his wealth, I no doubt would do exactly the same, and damn well enjoy it.

But you are not pontificating on morality and imposing death sentences on adulterers and others 

You forgot to mention the Baccarat Crystal shower screens in his aircraft.

Not to mention the 24 carat gold taps in all bathrooms in the palaces

I congratulate the stand taken by Top Gear and the BBC.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

On 6/18/2019 at 11:02 AM, spidermike007 said:

• A private zoo

Christ they are almost as rich as me 

Archived