Collecting my Withholding Tax

So I have a couple of bits of paper back from the tax man telling me how much and how to get it and that I can only do at a Krumthai Bank…

To get the money my options are as stated on the bits of paper …

1 … Promptpay.

2 … Open an account at a Krumthai Bank Branch.

3 … e-Money/e-Wallet … this is like a loaded ATM card I think.

So I go to the bank today and they tell me ...

For 1 ... yes I have but not sure of the details … must sort this out.

For 2, as I don’t work … well past that!  they said they need to see  originals only of …

My passport

My Yellow Book

Our Marriage Certificate

For 3

My Passport

My Tax ID Card

Bit of a pain … but I’ll go for #2 as another Bank Account may be useful as they can be a problem to open.

Hope this may save someone a trip ...

I assume you mean Krungthai.

I just got my letter from the tax office last week for my refund, I use BB so not interested in opening a further account. Handed Krungthai Bank my tax letter and passport. Was then given a E-Money Prompt Card and told to use the Krungthai ATM using the pin # I provided

The card was dated to 2024, very simple to do.

PromptPay only works if you have connected your PromptPay ID with a 13-digit ID.

Unfortunatellly not working with the Mobile, as most foreigner only have the easy way to use mobile for PromptPay.

13-Digit ID works only if you also have opened your account with the yellow tambien ban or the PInk ID. But would be the best option.

15 hours ago, JAS21 said:

OK ... so next year will you still have to go to the bank or will they automatically 'top up' your card.

I am not sure on that one, things may have changed by next year so I will need to ask the tax office when I apply for my next refund.

I did this one year, the next year I had to make multiple payments for tax and asked to send duplicate info to tax office by visit , despite having handed it all in the first time

I am not sure if it is worth it as it feels like tax office now know you

my suspicion is that as a tax payer you are quite unique as an individual, just try not to attract anymore attention

3 hours ago, manchega said:

I did this one year, the next year I had to make multiple payments for tax and asked to send duplicate info to tax office by visit , despite having handed it all in the first time

I am not sure if it is worth it as it feels like tax office now know you

my suspicion is that as a tax payer you are quite unique as an individual, just try not to attract anymore attention

I'm only a tax payer in the sense of Withholding Tax ... I have been getting this back for many years ... in the past I just received a cheque, now a couple of extra things to do

8 hours ago, Isan Farang said:

I am not sure on that one, things may have changed by next year so I will need to ask the tax office when I apply for my next refund.

I think you will have to take the letter the tax office send you to Krungthai who will scan it which will add the money to the card - that's how it was explained to me.

The point being once you have the card set up it should be very quick.

On 6/17/2019 at 9:03 PM, HampiK said:

PromptPay only works if you have connected your PromptPay ID with a 13-digit ID.

Unfortunatellly not working with the Mobile, as most foreigner only have the easy way to use mobile for PromptPay.

13-Digit ID works only if you also have opened your account with the yellow tambien ban or the PInk ID. But would be the best option.

i opened prompt pay online with my phone number 

26 minutes ago, yankee99 said:

i opened prompt pay online with my phone number 

Try to add your 13 Digit ID (From Pink ID or yellow house book) if you have.

Actually you can add both to PromptPay. If you are able to also add the 13 digits, then you can use PromptPay for collecting the Tax Refund with PromptPay. 

1 hour ago, HampiK said:

Try to add your 13 Digit ID (From Pink ID or yellow house book) if you have.

Actually you can add both to PromptPay. If you are able to also add the 13 digits, then you can use PromptPay for collecting the Tax Refund with PromptPay. 

I also opened my promptpay using my mobile phone number, not my 13 digit ID number, which meant that I had to use the  E-Money Prompt Card from Krungthai Bank, using their ATM. It was easy to do and they said I can use the same card next year. 

However, I would prefer to receive my tax by promptpay, so I want to add my 13 digit ID number for next year. Confusingly, my Tax ID 13 digit number is different from my 13 digit ID number in my yellow book and pink ID card. Which one do they need? Tax ID number? Or yellow book ID number?

I he been here 12 years, and still don't fully understand the concept of withholding tax! I certainly did not know there was any way to get anything back from anybody.

Can some kind person explain to me in simple terms who pays it, how it works, where it goes, and who can get it back when? I am fairly sure I am not the only one in the dark!

(I do know about VAT, which in UK means Value Added Tax, and here means Vague Additions to the Total.)

1 hour ago, Grusa said:

I he been here 12 years, and still don't fully understand the concept of withholding tax! I certainly did not know there was any way to get anything back from anybody.

Can some kind person explain to me in simple terms who pays it, how it works, where it goes, and who can get it back when? I am fairly sure I am not the only one in the dark!

(I do know about VAT, which in UK means Value Added Tax, and here means Vague Additions to the Total.)

When you receive Interest on your savings, the Thai Banks hold back 15% of your interests. This 15% you can claim back in begin of the next year!

8 hours ago, Hotrats said:

I also opened my promptpay using my mobile phone number, not my 13 digit ID number, which meant that I had to use the  E-Money Prompt Card from Krungthai Bank, using their ATM. It was easy to do and they said I can use the same card next year. 

However, I would prefer to receive my tax by promptpay, so I want to add my 13 digit ID number for next year. Confusingly, my Tax ID 13 digit number is different from my 13 digit ID number in my yellow book and pink ID card. Which one do they need? Tax ID number? Or yellow book ID number?

In my case the TAX ID (TIN) is the same as my 13 digits from Pink ID (yellow tambien). I guess you asked for a tax ID before you had your tambien ban

I would guess you have to use your ID from your Pink card!, but this only will work if you opened your bank account with that ID!

5 hours ago, HampiK said:

When you receive Interest on your savings, the Thai Banks hold back 15% of your interests. This 15% you can claim back in begin of the next year!

So I can claim back 15% of zero. Sounds like a good deal.

Archived