No animal cruelty at Phuket Zoo, say officials

snoop1130

No animal cruelty at Phuket Zoo, say officials

By The Phuket News

1560773009_1-org.jpg

One of the 15 tigers being kept at Phuket Zoo on display in a cage for tourists to see, on payment for entry. Photo: PR Dept

PHUKET:-- Phuket wildlife officials have declared that Phuket Zoo has been cleared of any allegations of animal cruelty following an inspection of the aged tourism attraction today (June 17).

Phuket Governor Phakaphong Tavipatana ordered inspection in response to National Geographic posting on its official Instagram account a photo of a tiger chained on a podium, pacing back and forth in only metres of space.

The National Geographic post on Instagram, without alleging that Phuket Zoo had conducted the practice, also noted, “Tigers are often declawed and/or drugged to make them safer for interacting with tourists.”

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/no-animal-cruelty-at-phuket-zoo-say-officials-71818.php#McCWDDUW30zfdqqk.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-06-17

Coincidentally my lady's son took his 1 year old to the zoo yesterday.

Before he left I told him it was supposed to be a bad place, but he didn't really believe me, and was keen to show his son the animals.

When he returned the car later, I asked how it was and he said, very bad. He specifically mentioned a tiger that was so under fed and skinny he compared it to our German Shepherd Cross in size.

14 minutes ago, mike787 said:

NO cruelty...it's confirmed, everything is as it seems...move along....

Yeah, sure, just like there is no prostitution.

I have not been to this particular zoo, but have seen in other places that the animals are used (abused) to make money for the Thais who own the place.

Animals do not belong in prisons.

Investigation launched into tiger chained at Phuket Zoo – VIDEO

By The Thaiger

PHOTOS: DNP VIDEO – I Am A Tiger Advocate

1560765252456.jpg

Officials are conducting a full investigation after a video clip of a tiger chained at Phuket Zoo on social media claimed that the tiger had been drugged for photos with the public.

Phuket officials today have inspected the Phuket Zoo after several social media complaints that the tiger was chained and drugged for tourists to take photos. No tiger was found at the area which was in the video clip.

The Phuket Zoo manager Pichai Sakunsorn says they have moved the two tigers back to their cage after the social media complaints.

He has denied drugging the tiger but said those tigers were used for tourists to take photos and were familiar with the daily experience.

“We have to chain those tigers for tourist safety.”

The Phuket Zoo has a long history of complaints and bad news stories involving the treatment of some of its animals – most recently ‘Milo‘ the Sumatran orang-utan and ‘Dumbo‘ the baby elephant.

A tiger attacked an Australian tourist at the Tiger Kingdom in Kathu five years ago whilst the 49 year old was having his photo taken in a ‘controlled’ compound. Read that story HERE. The companies running these tiger photo opportunities strenuously deny that the tigers are drugged. The Thaiger has huge doubts about these denials, without evidence.

64559445_1819322064879938_27651219525772

64562817_1819321854879959_10248209524976

64697295_1819322118213266_11661440854135

Source: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/investigation-launched-into-tiger-chained-at-phuket-zoo-video

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-06-18

There's the Western compehension of animal cruelty and there's a Thai version and the two are worlds apart so  this statement doesn't surprise me at all.

Now if a similar team from the west inspected they'd be horrified.

19 minutes ago, madmitch said:

There's the Western compehension of animal cruelty and there's a Thai version and the two are worlds apart so  this statement doesn't surprise me at all.

Now if a similar team from the west inspected they'd be horrified.

Or if an actual (Thai national) expert in this field where to visit........

After the inspection, Mr Natawon declared to the press, “No evidence of animal cruelty has been found.”
Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/no-animal-cruelty-at-phuket-zoo-say-officials-71818.php#AVQYKbuvkdllixbU.99

“Officers from the Department of National Park, Wildlife and Plant Conversation (DNP) inspected the zoo, given advice about how to treat animals, and cautioned the owner to do things correctly and make a good image of Phuket for tourists,” Mr Natawon said.

“The zoo’s owner agreed and said he understood,” he added.

-------------------

No evidence of cruelty but the owner was cautioned !

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

Meanwhile construction on the new "Tiger Kingdom" on the Big Buddha road is proceeding apace .

I work in hotels & ALWAYS advise against visiting either the zoo or this Tiger trap - I even remove the brochures advertising such places

Archived