Child Custody Success Story

RBYIII

Greetings,

Just wanted to share a success story with regards to my recent positive results in gaining full custody of my 8 year old daughter.  I was married to a Thai lady who was actually taking good care of our daughter and I was providing financial support from the USA.  My daughter did obtain US Citizenship and was issued a Report of Birth abroad and a US Passport.  Her mother and I grew apart and while still married actually were living as divorced parents.  Things began to change and I began to become concerned about how my daughter was being cared for and also the fact that I was unable to convince her mother to allow her to visit me in the US.  It got to the point I consulted a few lawyers in Thailand.  Prices ran the range from 10K USD to 50K USD.  to bring the case into Thai Family Court.  That wouldn't even guarantee a favorable outcome and most likely would only get me the divorce and a child visitation order at best.  I then ran across a thread that mentioned that another member had a good experience using the wife of a board member by the name of "Happy Larry".  I contacted "Happy Larry" and found out his wife has completed all her Law training and will be soon taking her Bar Exam to become a lawyer.  She reached out to me on the "LINE" chat program and we spoke at length a few times and discussed every possible option and plausible outcomes.  She was very knowledgeable and gave me several things I had not even considered.  We agreed on a path to proceed and a initial retainer price.  I wired her the agreed to payment and she went to work.  On her initial contact with my daughters mother it appeared that this would be a difficult undertaking and let me know she thought it would be a full on court case.  After some consideration we established that the change in her behavior with regards to looking after my daughter was perhaps due to some financial difficulties, I suspect she got into some trouble gambling, but that is speculation.  I discussed this with Happy Larry's wife and she suggested that since this may turn into a full on court case and most likely cost more than 10K that I may just want to offer that right to Krystina's mother in exchange for her full agreement to full custody (Parental Power to the Father).  I never considered that nor did I think she would ever agree since that would also stop monthly payments.  On her advice I offered the cash in exchange for the full custody agreement.  I didn't get the "Hell No" I expected but she said she would consider it.  Over the next few days I deluged her with pictures of where my daughter would live, her school, etc. etc, trying to convince her that my daughter would be better off with me in the USA.  Well it all worked!!!!  She agreed to look at the divorce agreement that give me full custody.  I had Happy Larry's wife draw up the document in Thai and English and once I was happy with it she sent it to my daughters mother and discussed everything with her.  She came back with a few minor changes but once we both verbally agreed I jumped on a plane and headed to Chang Mai.  I arrived Sunday afternoon, my daughter and her mother came in on Monday as well as Happy Larry's wife.  We all met Monday and signed the agreement.  First thing Tuesday morning we all went to the Amphur Office in Chaing Mai and had the divorce officially recorded with the child custody ordered as I wished, we also applied for my daughters Thai Passport since she is dual citizen.  Tuesday afternoon my daughter and I flew back to Bangkok and on Wed morning we went and picked up her Thai Passport.  A few days later I left Thailand with my daughter.  The Thai Immigration asked where her mother was when we were leaving and I simply stated that I have the full parental rights, showed her the divorce paper that stated that and the immigration official simply congratulated me and wished my daughter good luck in the US.  We were on our way!!!!  I have been home for a week now and my daughter is adjusting very well.  She misses her mom and her friends but speaks with them frequently via the LINE chat application but expresses how happy she is to be with me and is establishing new friends etc in school here in the US.  I am incredibly proud of her and how well she is handling the transition.  I cant thank Happy Larry's wife enough for all the help she provided.  The cost was very reasonable and ultimately saved me thousands on a court case that most likely would have only granted me visitation at best, had I proceeded that way.  She was very responsive and traveled to the places she needed to be with me at.  She also provided translation services for all the documents that I needed for a smooth transition to the US.  Items such as school records, medical records, immunization records as well at the divorce documents and custody papers. She has also contacted me several times since the proceeding to check on how my daughter was doing.  I know its a business but she truly cared about my situation and the well being of my daughter.  I cant say enough good things about the services she provided and the outcome.  I am convinced that without her advice I would probably still be in a court case fighting for less than full custody.  Instead I am home with my daughter 100% legally as we speak!  I would encourage anyone with similar issues regarding divorce and custody to reach out to Happy Larry and at least listen to what she may have to say about your particular case.  Take care all....I got to go take my baby girl out to play!!!!   ????

Well done. I had the same situation, and now same resolution as you.

Mum is fine with everything and knows child is better off out of Thailand.

Get your daughter into as many clubs and sports and stuff as possible. She'll find a niche and lots of friends.

Don't cut mum off - they'll always talk together, probably in Thai so you won't have a clue what they're up to. Just ensure she has a lot of fun experiences to tell mum about. Send pics - if mum is content with what she sees, she'll cause no trouble in the future.

Congratulations

I hope you can keep her mother not only in her life, but that you also maintain a cordial relationship with her, for your daughter to feel comfortable to have an open relationship with you both.

Congrats ! Good story, but I would not need a lawyer to guess that buy paying $10000 to an ex wife I could get custody even of her own parents without any discussion...

And if you all think that your kids are better out of Thailand, why having them in Thailand with a Thai ? Is it love that changes guys to very smart people ?!

1 hour ago, atyclb said:

mom was bought off. this is different from taking the case to court and getting a favorable judicial opinion.

Which he most likely would have never gotten. Money talks and BS walks in LOS.

Yes her Mother and I are on good terms.  She speaks to her a few times a week.  I also plan on having her spend her summer breaks in Thailand as long as mom has the means and the will to look after her properly.  Did I pay mom off?  Probably but I would have went to court and had a decent chance of full custody or at least a court order forcing visitation to the US.  I simply chose to offer the same fee's I would have spent on a court case directly to the mom for a guaranteed favorable outcome.  So in reality probably better for my daughters Thai family rather than give the money to lawyers and fee's etc.  As for the comment as far as favorable in the US vs Thailand....well just like any other country things don't always work out with parents.  Had I been in a loving stable relationship which would lend itself to raising a family in Thailand I would have... but it didn't work out that way....so absent of that happening, then yes she is better off with me in the US.  Living conditions, health care, education, etc etc.

Archived