‘Energy cards’ carry 350 times more radiation than humans can bear

webfact

I wonder if the "collectors " will be issued with Personal Protection Equipment to collect the cards, how will they sent for disposal, hopefully not through the normal mail or couriers services 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's more on this scam: https://behindmlm.com/companies/negative-ion-energy-card-scammers-busted-in-thailand/

From reading more of the reporting on this site, it's depressingly clear just how vulnerable the Thais are to these ponzi and MLM schemes and scams.  I can't count the number of times my wife has been hit on by her friends (almost always female and some of whom appear rational and educated) to buy products from beauty creams to water purifiers making obviously bogus claims.  Invariably, the ultimate victims of these crimes emerge as the poorest in the community.

More education needed.

49 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Can the card suspended over the local lottery ticket seller display pick the winning number? 

The really sad part about that - is - a lot of Thais would believe that - - - - -

24 minutes ago, Greenside said:

Here's more on this scam: https://behindmlm.com/companies/negative-ion-energy-card-scammers-busted-in-thailand/

From reading more of the reporting on this site, it's depressingly clear just how vulnerable the Thais are to these ponzi and MLM schemes and scams.  I can't count the number of times my wife has been hit on by her friends (almost always female and some of whom appear rational and educated) to buy products from beauty creams to water purifiers making obviously bogus claims.  Invariably, the ultimate victims of these crimes emerge as the poorest in the community.

More education needed.

I'm not sure that its disproportional the poor that get taken in by this type of thing.  There are plenty of farang in Chiang Mai who believe in all sorts of woo and pseudoscience. 

Just now, suzannegoh said:

I'm not that its disproportional the poor that get taken in by this type of things.  There are plenty of farang in Chiang Mai who believe in all sorts of woo and pseudoscience. 

From your link, the distributor is a former police officer???

Incredibly disturbing! The only way to stop this is to decree any person involved in producing or manufacturing these products or involved anywhere along the distribution chain face the death penalty as this is exactly what they are selling...death! Its horrendous to think you could be sitting next to an idiot with one of these in their pocket!

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

The cards are not 40x more radio active, they are 94,703 x (nearly One Hundred Thousand times) more radioactive than the recommended maximum exposure to humans.

mSV (milliSievert) is NOT uSV (microSievert), you're off by a factor 1,000. 

So 40x is in the ballpark (and 'armless)

German Technology, but not TUV approved - that's the problem!

Jokes aside, and as I commented in the earlier news article, it seems the words on the card is Indonesian or Malay. If looking for the source of these cards, perhaps a good idea to check with Indonesian and Malaysian counterparts? If these cards are as dangerous as it is made out to be, it would be good to warn these markets too, since there are just as many gullible people elsewhere, not just in Thailand. 

If the source of the radiation is as stated, Uranium and Thorium, there's absolutely nothing to worry about.  Both are alpha emitters.  Alpha radiation is the wimp of the bunch.  It can only travel a few centimetres in air, and is completely blocked by a single sheet of paper.  It can not penetrate the skin.  These cards would only pose a threat, and a negligible one at that, if they were eaten.  So, a lot of scientifically illiterate hype and scaremongering.  Next story, please.

Tests on sample cards conducted by the state agency found radiation measuring at 40 microsieverts per hour, which is 350 times higher than the maximum exposure humans should get to radiation a year.

Thai science at its best above

Here's some numbers

1,000,000 microsieverts to a sievert

1,000-3,000 sieverts to cause damage to a human

So at 40 microsieverts per hour it would take 25,000 hours to accumulate 1 sievert dosage or 2.85 years.

to accumulate just 100 sieverts or 10,000 MR in the old units would take 285 years, and that dosage won't hurt you, my lifetime total is far far higher than that.

I'm a level 2 CGSB/ASNT certified industrial radiographer for the last 41 years

1 hour ago, suzannegoh said:

That's a good point.  Maybe it's just a scare tactic.  If they just told people that the cards are a scam they would probably still buy them, but tell them that they are radioactive and that's going to end the scam once and for all. 

No, no, the amulets protect you from the radiation.... . 

Well, according to a news article published yesterday in CNN and other sources, we breathe in microplastics weighing the equivalent of a  credit card every week.

Why be worried about a little radiation from one card?

"If anyone wants to get rid of the cards.." what? Seriously??

The Government ISN'T making dam sure these cards are gotten rid of? They're ok with the poor and stupid all dying of cancer and exposing many other citizens to radiation.

If this is real and the government is doing nothing they should be lined up and shot! NOW!!

This cant be real!

Far-fetched claims

The distributors claim these cards can improve the immune system, strengthen the heart and energise the user’s metabolism.

I expect the distributors also offer tours to Chernobyl and advertise it as a world class spa.  

Buy all stock, stack them in two lines, ram them together...just joking of course. Uranium decays into Thorium which decays...Why would anyone want to sell radioactive cards in the first place?

54 minutes ago, kwonitoy said:

Tests on sample cards conducted by the state agency found radiation measuring at 40 microsieverts per hour, which is 350 times higher than the maximum exposure humans should get to radiation a year.

Here's some numbers

So at 40 microsieverts per hour it would take 25,000 hours to accumulate 1 sievert dosage or 2.85 years.

to accumulate just 100 sieverts or 10,000 MR in the old units would take 285 years, and that dosage won't hurt you, my lifetime total is far far higher than that.

I got lost years ago when it changed from Rads and Mrads.

steelcastingsfront.jpg

38 minutes ago, kwonitoy said:

Here's some numbers

Many TIG welding tungsten electrodes contain Thorium which are sold at hardware stores. 

Archived