‘Energy cards’ carry 350 times more radiation than humans can bear

webfact

Here's some other comparative data...based on the article's representation of 40 MICROsieverts per hour:

Here are some basic numbers to use as a guide (μSv means microSieverts):

10 μSv – The average radiation you received today

40 μSv – The radiation you receive by taking a flight from New York to L.A.

100 μSv – The radiation you receive during a dental x-ray

https://www.pureearth.org/blog/radiation-101-what-is-it-how-much-is-dangerous-and-how-does-fukushima-compare-to-chernobyl/

So, for every hour you're carrying the card, it's exposing you to four times the amount of additional radiation than is background normal for an entire day.

Or getting a dental x-ray every 2-1/2 hours.

Meanwhile, I'm not sure of the scientific validity of assuming that someone with such a card is going to carry it on their body continuously, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year in a way that would make any kind of annual exposure discussion valid or meaningful.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, bangrak said:

When this 'OAP' information would be true, I guess you would be right. But I have serious doubts about it. First of all: this card thing being a scam based on placebo effect, why would the producers make any kind of effort, and spend quite some money, to acquire(!) radio elements and insert these in the cards...? Second: is there no real official instance involved in radio elements, inside the health department and/or the military? 

Would be interesting to know where the plastic came from.

18 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

It all sounds a bit Samutprakarn scrap yard incident to me.

Cracking open the old x-ray machine radiation chamber section...in a Thai junk yard in a residential area....  And some of the Thai workers who performed that nifty feat ended up dying as a result.

11 hours ago, boonrawdcnx said:

Let the police and army confiscate them and hand them to the government and senate for thorough inspection including reaction to indigestion - several problems solved at once !

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

need to bump up the radiation first???? 

22 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Cracking open the old x-ray machine radiation chamber section...in a Thai junk yard in a residential area....  And some of the Thai workers who performed that nifty feat ended up dying as a result.

We all mistakes... think about the money for all that lead, though....

So far, tests have revealed that the cards contain radioactive metallic elements of uranium and thorium, as well as their “radionuclide” or radioactive isotope. X-rays showed nothing inside the cards.

Sounds rather contradictory doesn't it. Metallic elements that does not show up on X-Ray.

More disturbing, given each card is so radio active + the amount of cards. Where and how did they get their hands on the radioactive materials. Sort of make you think getting enough radioactive material for making a "dirty bomb" isn't all that difficult.

Here was I thinking the cards were just plastic cards. That would be much more profitable than selling cards that actually emitted radiation. I am still doubtful that they do emit any radiation.

On 6/18/2019 at 8:01 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Thats extreme.... 

The annual limit / dosage for an adult is reported in the above article as being 1 mSv per year.

The average annual dosage of radiation per year in the US is reported as being 3.7 mSv.

which works out at 0.000422374 mSv per hour...

The cards are reported to emit 40 mSv per hour.

The cards are not 40x more radio active, they are 94,703 x (nearly One Hundred Thousand times) more radioactive than the recommended maximum exposure to humans.

The article is correct, you are off by 1000X.

The card is reported as 40 micro-sieverts (µSv). You assumed milli-sieverts (mSv). The card is 0.040 milli-sieverts, then the exposure is 350 times the annual level as claimed.

11 hours ago, mmushr00m said:

So far, tests have revealed that the cards contain radioactive metallic elements of uranium and thorium, as well as their “radionuclide” or radioactive isotope.

This is a scientific nonsense.  Neither uranium nor thorium has any stable isotope.

17 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

<deleted> (no idea why the initials of your name I used are 'deleted', just a bad sign?), you like this kind of stuff, don't you?

Part of your, erm, twisted and biased mind? Not wanting to allude to worse, devious, tendencies of yours (IMO).

Me comparing the physical appearance of 'your'(?) picture with that of a crazy, and even more dangerous, russian pseudo-monk of the early 20th century, no doubt a total surprise for you, LOL!

I'm not a 'hate person', but you bring me damn close to the border of it! Do dogs bark at you and cats spit to you?

21 hours ago, Oxx said:
On 6/18/2019 at 11:28 PM, mmushr00m said:

So far, tests have revealed that the cards contain radioactive metallic elements of uranium and thorium, as well as their “radionuclide” or radioactive isotope.

This is a scientific nonsense.  Neither uranium nor thorium has any stable isotope.

True, but they didn't say there was a non-radioactive form, they just said “... and radionuclides”.  That may be dirty U from fuel rod reprocessing, which can contain very radioactive isotopes not found in nature.

I used to have 1/4 pound of pure UO2 (not ore) on my desk and never worried. Just looked it up, the dose from my UO2 would have been 2.087 µSv year. (Whew).

The cards are 40 µSv per hour. and only weigh a few grams. Must be spent fuel rods.

Imo I don't think the argument should be 'the cards emit a lot less than this & that...' or '...it's not dangerous...' and so on. We all receive a small dose of 'natural' environment radiation (something like 1-2 ms I think) and ingest whatever is absorbed by food products. I think the argument is about deliberately exposing oneself to additional doses (excluding those who work in risk jobs). With radiation there is always a biological risk no matter how small so why deliberately increase that risk? Don't we expose ourselves to enough various risks already?

On 6/17/2019 at 11:59 PM, FarFlungFalang said:

Many TIG welding tungsten electrodes contain Thorium which are sold at hardware stores. 

2 percent thoriated (or “red”) tungsten electrodes are common.

Archived