Mercedes rolls out locally made GLC 220 SUV

webfact

50 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

You could but in the Thai world arriving somewhere in the Mercedes-Benz gives you a lot of kudos whereas you arriving in two CRVs all they say is how did you drive them both ????

Yes it sure does! remember the time I was dropped off at Suvarnabhumi Airport in a soft top Mercedes, a guy runs out from the terminal and carries our luggage inside... that don't happen in a CRV ????

3 hours ago, BestB said:

It is not actually a bad deal if you compare to other luxury models, no doubt will outsell X3 and possibly X5

X1 from memory is only slightly under 3 million 

You can get X1 for just more than 2 millions, they are so cheap and BMW is ready to sell at any price to sell more, which Benz does not allow.

1 hour ago, ballpoint said:

Or 4 MG ZS's, or take 600,000 dumps in a 5 baht pay toilet.  So what?  With high end Japanese SUVs pushing the 2M baht barrier, and even higher in the case of Lexuxes (Lexi?), the gap between them and (perceived as) more luxury brands is closing.  No wonder I increasingly see more of them on the streets here.

And, as for those asking why electric cars aren't being produced, the technology still hasn't arrived to make them practical here.  Try driving one any distance up country and sitting around for half a day waiting for it to charge every 150km, assuming you can find somewhere to plug it into, which you won't.  Diesel is available everywhere, and, until battery technology gets to the point of matching the convenience of stopping for a few minutes and adding half a cubic metre of an easily transportable liquid, allowing you, and the family, to travel another 1000km in airconditioned comfort with music playing while charging a number of mobile phones, fully electric cars still aren't a viable option for anything other than short distance town use.

Yes German cars are cheap compared to the crap jap boxes that you get for 2 MB over here...

1 hour ago, KiChakayan said:

The CRV fulfils all my needs, but I have a "normal" appendage ...

And I am only on 3M THB a year, sadly. ????

My god.  No wonder you can't afford a Benz.

Of course, using your own logic, I could ask why you bought a CRV, when you could get two MGs for the same price.  But I don't really give a damn.  Besides which, making generalisations about people based on what car they drive would be a ridiculous thing to do.

6 hours ago, br12stol said:

Yes it sure does! remember the time I was dropped off at Suvarnabhumi Airport in a soft top Mercedes, a guy runs out from the terminal and carries our luggage inside... that don't happen in a CRV ????

I have a crv. The wife carries my bags ????????

8 hours ago, BestB said:

Most likely still falls into imported as some parts are imported but because assembled locally it’s cheaper than its rivals or other fully imported models 

Imported models from country of origin have a lot better quality that same made in other countries. Same for Japanese cars and English cars, and to get the Made in Thailand stamp every car needs to have at least 70% of Thai parts. To pay 3 mill for a MB, VOLVO, or BMW made in Thailand is pure show-off and not a common sense when similar but Japanese brands sells new for half of that money, and with less maintenance cost and less depreciation. Automakers evolved in the last 20 years, but comparables Japanese cars still the best buys in every sense. That 70% Made in Thailand MB, cost the same of a 100% Made in Japan e imported Lexus SUV... Guess what car is better.

8 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

This car costs in Germany not quite EUR 48'000 or Baht 1.68 million ......... just in case you'd like to know how the submarines are paid for ????

who cares what is cost in Germany, we are not in Germany, so its irrelevant 

12 hours ago, Muzarella said:

Imported models from country of origin have a lot better quality that same made in other countries. Same for Japanese cars and English cars, and to get the Made in Thailand stamp every car needs to have at least 70% of Thai parts. To pay 3 mill for a MB, VOLVO, or BMW made in Thailand is pure show-off and not a common sense when similar but Japanese brands sells new for half of that money, and with less maintenance cost and less depreciation. Automakers evolved in the last 20 years, but comparables Japanese cars still the best buys in every sense. That 70% Made in Thailand MB, cost the same of a 100% Made in Japan e imported Lexus SUV... Guess what car is better.

The "Made in Thailand" stamp?

I know this is a thing for German made machines, or Swiss made watches, but which brand advertizes with "Made in Thailand" on their cars?

Since when is that a stamp of quality or a point of sales?

MBenz seems to need to expand out of Europe...as in many EU metros, a majority of taxis and UBER cars are the latest Merc limos...the Mercs have also become a favorite of the new generation of eastern european immigrants who team up to buy these cars on life long loans....

6 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

The "Made in Thailand" stamp?

I know this is a thing for German made machines, or Swiss made watches, but which brand advertizes with "Made in Thailand" on their cars?

Since when is that a stamp of quality or a point of sales?

He means for tax purposes. If it's categorized as made in Thailand, then the car gets a much lower tax bracket.

Lots of misinformation by the posters here.

Thailand has a thing called CAR TAX.

Every single passenger vehicle for private use except pickup trucks is taxed at least 30% to 40% depending on the engine size and the amount of CO2 it emits. To be specific, the tax is applied to cars that don't have leaf spring suspension. This is why the Ranger Raptor is so expensive, because the rear suspension isn't leaf spring, thus, it is taxed as high as a regular car.

The Camry and Accord sold here is also over 50% more expensive than the one in the US. The Ford Fiesta was also twice as expensive here as it was in the US, 350,000 baht in the US vs. 700,000 baht in Thailand.

You CAN call it a "luxury car tax" but this same tax is also applied to a Toyota Vios, because it isn't a pickup truck.

24 minutes ago, MatteoBassini said:

You CAN call it a "luxury car tax" but this same tax is also applied to a Toyota Vios, because it isn't a pickup truck.

What you said is correct but there is a further distinction depending on how many parts are manufactured in Thailand. It wouldn't be a CBU import but there's still import tax on parts. The BMWs/Mercedes here are sometimes not just 50% more expensive but 100% - 200%.

The Camry / Accord Hybrids have tax incentives in Thailand and yet are way more expensive than in many western countries. So manufacturers also have different price strategies here. It's all a bit complex but the gist is cars are way too expensive in Thailand.

Archived