Boris Johnson gets boost in race to become Britain's new PM

webfact

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, vogie said:

Well you kept that a secret, nobody would have guessed you were a remainer.

You can't have a "once in a lifetime" referendum twice, it just doesn't sense now does it.

Sadly in a remainers mentality you can and a 3rd and 4th, forgetting about democracy and only content when they win. Sadly that's the way life seems t be for many things now.

You offend someone for the slightest thing, you can't criticise and you can't win a binary once in a lifetime referendum.

34 minutes ago, vogie said:

Well you kept that a secret, nobody would have guessed you were a remainer.

You can't have a "once in a lifetime" referendum twice, it just doesn't sense now does it.

Don't my MP's have more than one vote?  perfectly ok, as Brexit has not happened, that we re-ask:

1/ leave on a no deal (if no deal is reached)

2/ stay

8 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Sadly in a remainers mentality you can and a 3rd and 4th, forgetting about democracy and only content when they win. Sadly that's the way life seems t be for many things now.

You offend someone for the slightest thing, you can't criticise and you can't win a binary once in a lifetime referendum.

you think never a Scottish independence vote again?  wow that's harsh - new voters are added in 100,000s yearly and it's been three years now

4 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

i couldn't give a toss what happened three years ago. What matters is the present, at which time Brexit is a downright failure, and worth returning to the public. Anything less, as per no deal, and there will be a GE to do exactly that. As I said before the only chance the new PM has of an agreement is to ignore hard-line Brexiteers, agree the WAG, pass it through parliament, and seek negotiations on the political statement going forward, which the EU have agreed to revview and negotiate on.

BTW democracy is not a one-way street. It takes into account what's best for all of the people not just one political and idealogist section of the UK - who incidentally had it in their power to pass May's deal through parliament, and Brexit would have happened already.

For anyone to blame remainers for that is living in cloud-cuckoo land.   

1 minute ago, stephenterry said:

i couldn't give a toss what happened three years ago. What matters is the present, at which time Brexit is a downright failure, and worth returning to the public. Anything less, as per no deal, and there will be a GE to do exactly that. As I said before the only chance the new PM has of an agreement is to ignore hard-line Brexiteers, agree the WAG, pass it through parliament, and seek negotiations on the political statement going forward, which the EU have agreed to revview and negotiate on.

BTW democracy is not a one-way street. It takes into account what's best for all of the people not just one political and idealogist section of the UK - who incidentally had it in their power to pass May's deal through parliament, and Brexit would have happened already.

So in 1942 (three years on) you would have capitulated....?

1 minute ago, transam said:

So in 1942 (three years on) you would have capitulated....?

Read his post carefully - he said do what's best for the country. So no, no one would've capitulated in 1942 as that wasn't the best for the country.

A no deal Brexit with a PM elected by Tory MP's and a few thousand Tory party members at the helm; who is a proven liar, hypocrite, and won't reveal his plan, if he even has one. Hardly "best for the country" is it!

23 minutes ago, tebee said:

Diane Abbott has a 2:2 in history from Cambridge, rather like Theresa May who got a 2:2 in Geography from Oxford.

Boris managed a whole 2:1 in  ancient literature and classical philosophy from Balliol 

So why do we elect these second rate politicians with second rate degrees from "good" colleges in useless subjects ? We seem to be getting what you would expect from them, which is not much.

I dropped out of a Science degree at North East London Poly, but I could do better than them.

I dropped out of a Science/social science degree in South London (Battersea tech in the process of morphing into Surrey UNI) and even before I had heard Tim Leary's encouraging words!

Problem is not what the degree is, but who holds it; getting a degree should be easy when you see many of the holders. A PHd in neuroscience or particle physics is a different matter, holders of these are far too good for parliament, society actually benefits from their work.

Boris's character is what is in question here though, and this letter from his former schoolteacher puts it in a nutshell.

Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 07.48.11.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 07.47.48.png

9 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

you think never a Scottish independence vote again?  wow that's harsh - new voters are added in 100,000s yearly and it's been three years now

That was also promised as a "once in a generation vote".

I remember slippery Nick trying to get the voting age lowered to 16 when polls shows children were supporting independence!

My prediction - should there be another SIR and should the vote be to leave the UK - then watch Sturgeon introduce to legislation as quickly as she can to try and prohibit that decision ever being reversed no matter what future electorates may want.

And that is another reason why Britain has a representative democracy and not one based on referendums.

13 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Don't my MP's have more than one vote?  perfectly ok, as Brexit has not happened, that we re-ask:

1/ leave on a no deal (if no deal is reached)

2/ stay

The nation has voted to leave, just because it doesn't suit you and other remainers is unfortunate, but that is how democracy works, you cannot keep voting untill you get the result you want.

9 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Keep to the subject matter. To compare world war ii to a Brexit referendum is absurd. but neverthe less, predictable.

I don't think it is different.....The UK voted to leave those across the channel behind....In 1942 when the UK seemed stuffed folk may well have put your hands up.... Similar to folk posting here cos of fear, for what ever reason, fear...

1 hour ago, vogie said:

Hunt and Stewart are remainers, remainers have done enough damage already.

Yeah, they should be executed! 

The fantasy world of the Brexiteer. The Brexit "leaders' has no plan for winning because they never believed people would be daft enough to vote to leave! They haven't been able to put any plans forward since. But electing their "face" is somehow going to solve all the issues, dot all the i's and cross all the t's?

Sounds like pinning their hopes on bumbling BoJo stumbling his way through and with the usual array of lies and telling people what they want to hear.

23 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

'3 years ago isn't relevant' followed by a "Ficker than us"...?

2 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

The fantasy world of the Brexiteer. The Brexit "leaders' has no plan for winning because they never believed people would be daft enough to vote to leave! They haven't been able to put any plans forward since. But electing their "face" is somehow going to solve all the issues, dot all the i's and cross all the t's?

Sounds like pinning their hopes on bumbling BoJo stumbling his way through and with the usual array of lies and telling people what they want to hear.

Tiresome....????

3 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

"They should all be executed," over egging the pudding there BB. 

There is no fantasy world of Brexiteers, but what we do have is multitudes of remainers telling us how much more educated they are and how much more cleverer they are than the not fit to lick my boots Brexiteers. Can you see when you say that "nobody would be daft enough to leave" how that makes the people that was brave enough to vote leave feel. This superior attitude of remainers is arrogant and damn right boring. 

It is about time the remainers started to respect the wishes of the majority.

The reason so many people dislike Boris is that they suspect he might actually get some results, if remainers really thought he was a bumbling fool surely they would be quite happy for him to bungle Brexit and then you can have the remain you so desire.

38 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

40 plus years since we got a first referendum how harsh is that! You would lose anyway unless of cheating.

18 minutes ago, transam said:

I don't think it is different.....The UK voted to leave those across the channel behind....In 1942 when the UK seemed stuffed folk may well have put your hands up.... Similar to folk posting here cos of fear, for what ever reason, fear...

I really don't follow your illogical train of thought. So let's drop it. Well I will, anyway.

48 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

I coudn't give a toss that people want another referendum because they lost the first one after over 40 years and countess PM's promising one. I do give a toss about democracy not being upheld in a binary vote.

You lost time to get over it and move on.

34 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Boris's character is what is in question here though, and this letter from his former schoolteacher puts it in a nutshell.

So Boris got a few poor school reports? We've seen plenty of these sort of reports before, and they're usually reprinted to show how wrong they were. He got himself into a reasonable job and will probably be the next PM. Who'd a thunk it?

Let's face it, teachers never have much of an idea about anything anyway, so an Eaton housemaster would have even less. I suspect a some of our rabid remainers are masquerading as teachers themselves. 

6 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I coudn't give a toss that people want another referendum because they lost the first one after over 40 years and countess PM's promising one. I do give a toss about democracy not being upheld in a binary vote.

You lost time to get over it and move on.

I happen to be a realist, and what I see now is the reality, not something that happened three years ago. Get used to it, it won't go away.

6 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

I happen to be a realist, and what I see now is the reality, not something that happened three years ago. Get used to it, it won't go away.

Well you keep in your realist little bubble. The public's mind has not changed. The majority still want out.

When things do go your way its best to embrace it instead of constantly griping. Brexiteers I know always wanted a referendum to get out of the EEC now EU. they didn't go on daily like many remainers seem to do.

3 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

The EU Parlament has 751 seats for 512 million inhabitants.

The UK Parlament has 650 seats for 66 million inhabitants.

Calculating the parliamentary cost per inhabitant gives a ratio of 1.4 to 9.8.

Organizational quality and functioning decision-making ability are not considered at all.

I stick to my statement:

The UK government and the UK parliament are currently the most expensive clown circus in the world.

And Germany has 709 at 1.12. So what?

The UK needs to retain its parliament. We don't need the other one.

1 minute ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Well you keep in your realist little bubble. The public's mind has not changed. The majority still want out.

When things do go your way its best to embrace it instead of constantly griping. Brexiteers I know always wanted a referendum to get out of the EEC now EU. they didn't go on daily like many remainers seem to do.

The majority of the UK population don't want out. About time you actually realised that the leavers are in the minority, democratically speaking. My gripe is that Brexit is a failure and should be scrapped, before both the UK economy and the pound sink into deflationary territory. 

I also see that leavers don't use the word Brexit anymore, as if it's a poisoned chalice. And as I said before Brexit hardliners had their chance of leaving by voting for May's WAG, like Boris Johnson did, but blew it. 

2 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

The majority of the UK population don't want out. About time you actually realised that the leavers are in the minority, democratically speaking. My gripe is that Brexit is a failure and should be scrapped, before both the UK economy and the pound sink into deflationary territory. 

I also see that leavers don't use the word Brexit anymore, as if it's a poisoned chalice. And as I said before Brexit hardliners had their chance of leaving by voting for May's WAG, like Boris Johnson did, but blew it. 

The majority of the UK population want out.

May's WAG is a new EU treaty with potentially no way out for the UK. It's not leaving. 

PS 

Brexit Brexit Brexit????

6 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

I have to say you are deluded.  Your gripe is you lost and want another pop at winning. Brexit has happened yet. The failure is remainers trying there best to keep us in.

My current thinking is when Boris is appointed PM - I'm a realist - he would aim to convince enough wavering Tory MPs, the hardline Brexiteers, and the DUP to support him in passing the WAG through parliament rather than seeking to re-open negotiations with the EU.

His line of approach could be that once passed and the UK has legally left, he will resolve the differences in the Tory ranks by agreeing to stand firm on the political statement during the transitional stage. 

All supposition - however once Brexit is enacted, I'm pretty much convinced that the uncertainty would be resolved, business investment would reoccur, the economy would begin to recover, and the pound stabilise - at least until Boris makes a hash of it. But that's over a year down the line. Anything could happen in the meantime, including a GE. 

5 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I have to say you are deluded.  Your gripe is you lost and want another pop at winning. Brexit has happened yet. The failure is remainers trying there best to keep us in.

Have it your way. It makes as much sense as blaming remainers once again for the failure of the ERG to push Brexit through parliament when they had the option.

IMO, leavers only want to leave - they don't care what happens next, so they missed out, didn't they?

11 minutes ago, nauseus said:

The majority of the UK population want out.

May's WAG is a new EU treaty with potentially no way out for the UK. It's not leaving. 

PS 

Brexit Brexit Brexit????

It's a withdrawal deal. That's leaving. Legally. Pity leavers don't like it, live with it and move on. 

Archived