Boris Johnson gets boost in race to become Britain's new PM

webfact

9 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

That should be good news?

For whom?

Certainly for the Russians and the USA.

For the UK primarily and most importantly.
The Russians and the USA, indirectly probably and now worries about that.

Many other countries around the free trading world, almost certainly.

For the EU countries, possibly some if they are prepared to come to the table and negotiate in good faith 

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

That should be good news?

For whom?

Certainly for the Russians and the USA.

For sure NOT for the very limited, ignorable and of zero importante 48,11% UK "remain" voters.

1 hour ago, malagateddy said:

When all said and done the remainers are fascists who are trying to overthrow a democratic decision.

I advise you to read where the word "fascist" stands for.

I advise you to read where the word "fascist" stands for.
Now then..that is my description of anyone or any group who tries to overthrow a democratic decision by the voting public.
If you have an issue with that..sorry old boy but that's life.
Let me ask YOU something..if the remain vote had won..just how would you describe people who refused to accept the democratic decision??

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

57 minutes ago, Loiner said:

For the UK primarily and most importantly.
The Russians and the USA, indirectly probably and now worries about that.

Many other countries around the free trading world, almost certainly.

For the EU countries, possibly some if they are prepared to come to the table and negotiate in good faith 

I think you overestimate the importance of the UK on the world stage. With the UK then as a lone wolf in Europe, the bargaining position also does not get better. 

2 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

A 2013 European Parliament study has shown that € 103 million could be saved every year if all Parliament's activities were moved from Strasbourg to Brussels (figures for 2014). This amount is not insignificant, even if it represents only 6% of Parliament's budget or 1% of the EU's administrative budget or just 0.1% of the total EU budget.

The possible cost savings would be associated with a further centralization.

Wonder that just a Brexiteer advocates further EU centralization.

The organizational structure of the EU requires unanimity of all members and ratification by national parliaments. The UK supported this structure in 1992 fully.

Sorry if it is too difficult to understand

I understand. The difficulty I refer to is that of changing any of these EU treaties.

The year you mention implies the Maastrict Treaty, which John Major signed after another big battle in The Commons. A UK referendum was not held before Maastrict, or before any other EEC/EU treaty that the UK signed. With a referendum, Maastrict would have been rejected and we would have been out before the formation if the EU. 

5 hours ago, tomacht8 said:
6 hours ago, potless said:

Its just to satisfy the French IMHO. No practical reason that I can see. And probably another opportunity to fiddle the expenses.

The governments of the EU Member States unanimously agreed in 1992 to permanently set the seats of the EU institutions in the EU Treaty.

This has had a significant impact on Parliament's working arrangements: the official seat and place where most plenary sessions take place has since become Strasbourg, the parliamentary committees meet in Brussels, and the official seat of the Parliament's Secretariat (ie the Parliamentary staff) is Luxembourg , In 1997, this scheme was fully incorporated into the EU Treaty.

Any change to the current system would require an amendment to the Treaty, which would have to be unanimously agreed by the governments of all Member States and ratified by all national parliaments.

Thanks for the background information. But why was that arrangement formulated in the first place? Who benefits from it ? And as far as I know, and perhaps I am mistaken, the subject of the wasted time and money has been raised before but was vetoed by France. I wonder why....

3 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

I think you overestimate the importance of the UK on the world stage. With the UK then as a lone wolf in Europe, the bargaining position also does not get better. 

I think you underestimate the UK's current world trade and potential, while overestimating the EU's.

13 hours ago, puipuitom said:

Why a referendum should have only 2 (two) choices ? In many nations, a choice comes between "the candidates". And if one candidate did NOT get the 50% majority in the first round, the nr 1 + 2 against each other.

1) no deal 

2) revoke art 50 = stay

3) the May deal

4) a Norwegian etc way  ( pay but no say)

5) a CEPA = Canada treatment

Examples enough in the voting rounds in the House of Commons.

You should look closer to home. Your country is so scared it won't allow another referendum.????

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/apr/08/dutch-referendum-europe-ukraine-eu

https://www.ft.com/content/06166110-1af0-11e8-aaca-4574d7dabfb6

16 hours ago, Loiner said:

But it's not. It's a thinly veiled Surrender Treaty that would subjugate the UK to the EU under vassalage potentially for ever. 

That's not Leaving. It's the Merkel/May lie that has been kicked out of parliament three times already. What sort of realist do you really think you are? It's unreal.

You wanted to leave. That's it. And forget no-deal, it ain't going to happen. 

17 hours ago, nauseus said:

Read it yet?

Your point being? All I need to know is that it is a withdrawal deal. I'm pretty much sure that no-one on here would be affected on what happens after that, apart from having to pay for it when taxed.

In any case it's a moot point. There is every likelihood of a GE if Boris tries to leave on a no-deal basis. 

16 hours ago, nauseus said:

Sounds so difficult. Better just keep wasting money then. Maybe they could come to Bognor Regis as well for a week or two, before their summer hols?

and you don't think that the UK wastes any money, then? So far the cost of Brexit runs into £87 billion, i.e. £600m a week costing the economy 2.4% of GDP since 2016. A lot of that could have been spent on the NHS instead. Oh, and tarting up Bognor Regis, plus changing the resort name...

and before you mention it, the ERG hard-brexiteers had every opportunity to have pushed May's deal through parliament as Boris voted for it, but failed to deliver.

Which leads me to consider that Boris will aim to persuade the Tory party to push the WAG through with 'promises' of dealing with issues during the transitional period following leaving the EU.  That's the only way the Tory party would survive, at least until the next election...

3 hours ago, stephenterry said:

and you don't think that the UK wastes any money, then? So far the cost of Brexit runs into £87 billion, i.e. £600m a week costing the economy 2.4% of GDP since 2016. A lot of that could have been spent on the NHS instead. Oh, and tarting up Bognor Regis, plus changing the resort name...

and before you mention it, the ERG hard-brexiteers had every opportunity to have pushed May's deal through parliament as Boris voted for it, but failed to deliver.

Which leads me to consider that Boris will aim to persuade the Tory party to push the WAG through with 'promises' of dealing with issues during the transitional period following leaving the EU.  That's the only way the Tory party would survive, at least until the next election...

Everyone wastes money but the topic was the idiotic shifting on the EU Parliament once a month just for the French faces. Are your Brexit costs from anywhere worth looking at?

There's only one place where May's should have been pushed. Well, two!

You might be right on the last bit. I hope not. We'll see.

4 hours ago, stephenterry said:

There is every likelihood of a GE if Boris tries to leave on a no-deal basis.

Isn't a no-deal Brexit what will happen if he (or for that matter anyone including Theresa May) simply sit on their hands and do nothing? After all, 31/10 is the EU's deadline to Britain, it isn't Britain's deadline to the EU

7 hours ago, stephenterry said:

You wanted to leave. That's it. And forget no-deal, it ain't going to happen. 

No Deal is on its way actually. Unless the courts decide it already happened, it's happening very slowly again. Everyday gets us closer to No Deal. The HOC in disarray; Boris as PM; parliament recess; EU recalcitrance; more days wasted and whoops we're out! 

25 minutes ago, Loiner said:

No Deal is on its way actually. Unless the courts decide it already happened, it's happening very slowly again. Everyday gets us closer to No Deal. The HOC in disarray; Boris as PM; parliament recess; EU recalcitrance; more days wasted and whoops we're out! 

I'm sorry to burst your bubble. It won't happen. Full stop.

Why?

Because enough Tories won't approve any attempt by Boris to pass it through parliament. To think otherwise is cloud cuckooland.

About time you faced the reality, instead of harping on about a no-deal. Boris will agree the Wag, and you can celebrate leaving. That's it.

2 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

Isn't a no-deal Brexit what will happen if he (or for that matter anyone including Theresa May) simply sit on their hands and do nothing? After all, 31/10 is the EU's deadline to Britain, it isn't Britain's deadline to the EU

Yeah, carry on thinking that. It won't happen, though. Why?

Because Boris wants to remain PM, not be ousted by a GE. After all, he's out for himself.

3 hours ago, nauseus said:

Everyone wastes money but the topic was the idiotic shifting on the EU Parliament once a month just for the French faces. Are your Brexit costs from anywhere worth looking at?

There's only one place where May's should have been pushed. Well, two!

You might be right on the last bit. I hope not. We'll see.

Brexit has cost UK economy £66bn so far, study finds | The Independent

23 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

I'm sorry to burst your bubble. It won't happen. Full stop.

Why?

Because enough Tories won't approve any attempt by Boris to pass it through parliament. To think otherwise is cloud cuckooland.

About time you faced the reality, instead of harping on about a no-deal. Boris will agree the Wag, and you can celebrate leaving. That's it.

The WAG or Merkel/May Surrender Treaty was shot down three times already. It's dead and gone, as its' collaborator May has gone. The biggest defeat for a PM ever and it's not coming back, no matter how much Remainers liked its' trickery. Neither Boris or anybody else would try to reintroduce it. 
The EU repeatedly say there will be no more negotiations, so what next? Unless they capitulate in their own interest, we get away free from all of the dirty tricks they tried to pull in the WAG. Reality is back to the default of the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018, which parliament has already legislated.

It's happening, full stop and exclamation mark. I'm forever blowing bubbles (not Jacko's chimp) pretty Brexit's in the air........

42 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Lots of different figures from the remainers. Nigel G. has one trillion in his latest post. You guys need to reach a consensus of dreamed-up stats. I wonder what the real number is?

On 6/18/2019 at 10:35 AM, Benroon said:

Would you like us now to list the gaffes ? Buffoon is a perfect description.

I've worked with graduates I wouldn't trust to do up my laces, whilst working with far less academic people that had common sense oozing from their pores and worth their weight in gold

Degrees are overrated, it merely means you study well - Diane Abbott has a first degree from Cambridge yet planned to pay the police £3 a year, then £300, then £13, then £600, if Labour got into power, not even the simplest of mathematical questions could she get right, and every interview is a car crash - so shall we leave it there ?

Then she is a perfect candidate for chancellor 

All this bullshit

may (a vervent remain campainer )never wanted or intended to leave eu she spent almost 3 yerars delaying wasting time and  trying not to get a deal over brexit but finally she was forced out hooray .the u.k. voted to leave  but we are still in and may has kept us in as long as she could

I remember a certain speach of hers the day after the vote .."  NO DEAL IS BETTER THAN A BAD DEAL FOR THE U.K......." FEW AGREE HER DEAL IS A GOOD ONE FOR U.K.BUT IT IS ALL SHE OFFERED

Remember mo one in government expected the result they got. even farage was speachless the next day so no one had planned a leave stratergy and 3 years on we still dont have one " NO DEAL IS BETTER.....

Bullshit

May defied the will of the people for 3 years now get us out of europe

When you leave a club you do it on your terms not theirs  you do not continue to pay the golf club to leave it .you stop paying and walk

it is time for u.k.to walk

Simples

6 minutes ago, travelling wilbury said:

All this bullshit

may (a vervent remain campainer )never wanted or intended to leave eu she spent almost 3 yerars delaying wasting time and  trying not to get a deal over brexit but finally she was forced out hooray .the u.k. voted to leave  but we are still in and may has kept us in as long as she could

I remember a certain speach of hers the day after the vote .."  NO DEAL IS BETTER THAN A BAD DEAL FOR THE U.K......." FEW AGREE HER DEAL IS A GOOD ONE FOR U.K.BUT IT IS ALL SHE OFFERED

Remember mo one in government expected the result they got. even farage was speachless the next day so no one had planned a leave stratergy and 3 years on we still dont have one " NO DEAL IS BETTER.....

Bullshit

May defied the will of the people for 3 years now get us out of europe

When you leave a club you do it on your terms not theirs  you do not continue to pay the golf club to leave it .you stop paying and walk

it is time for u.k.to walk

Simples

It's always somebody else's fault. 

Perhaps you should have listened the the EU when they said, 'the best deal is membership there is no deal better than membership'.

You swallowed Project Unicorn and then come whinging and blaming the very people who advised against your folly. 

57 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Lots of different figures from the remainers. Nigel G. has one trillion in his latest post. You guys need to reach a consensus of dreamed-up stats. I wonder what the real number is?

It'll be a cold day in hell when Remainers need to take advice from a Brexiteer on stats.

Archived