Harvard revokes Parkland shooting survivor's acceptance over racial slurs

webfact

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The way I look at it is IF Harvard had the damaging information at the time of application, would he still have been accepted. My presumption is NO! Also we don't know whether his actual acceptance was borderline or not to begin with. I'm not suggesting Harvard admissions is perfect or corruption free, either now, or historically. But sorry they have a right to dump this guy. He's a big boy now. 

4 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Oh now you want to go from 'You never said anything stupid at 16, Mr Perfect' to again try and insert more whataboutary.

Back to topic. 

Racist gets to suffer the consequences for his own words. 

should harvard rescind ny times reporter Sarah Jeongs law degree for tweeting anti white racist comments?  or should she suffer the consequences and lose her job ??

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45052534

I think this is an unjustified reason for rescinding his acceptance.   I am very much against the use of things that young people may say against them.   I avoided commenting negatively on the kids who confronted (or were confronted) in Washington with the MAGA hats.   They are kids and kids do crazy things.   

I am against a lot of the efforts to move cases out of juvenile courts and into adult courts as well.   Regardless of whether I agree or not, they are still children, neither their brains nor their outlook on life is fully developed.   

The goal of schools is to educate our youth.   In regard to that, I will have to give Harvard a big F on this one.   

12 hours ago, porphyry said:

Aren't we all branded by our skin colour- is that really racism or society just thin skinned ??? I could not imagine just how the world would survive under a single unified entity as proposed by the symbolic racism believers.

Fact - most cultures are of a racist bent and believe they are better than another. 

Ignorance obviously prevails by the negative feedback given of the reality of the facts- show me a yank/Chinese/Cambodian/a pom/frog or Aussie etc who isn't proud no matter the wrongs of that particular culture. You wont!!!!!!! 

1 hour ago, porphyry said:

Ignorance obviously prevails by the negative feedback given of the reality of the facts- show me a yank/Chinese/Cambodian/a pom/frog or Aussie etc who isn't proud no matter the wrongs of that particular culture. You wont!!!!!!! 

You are mixing up race with nationality.   

On 6/18/2019 at 10:19 AM, atyclb said:

in the meanwhile the kid named david hogg that spoke out against guns, the same kid that was rejected by ucla and suppose lesser institutions was accepted at harvard.

did harvard lower their academic standards because they liked the political agenda of the less academically qualified student?

in addition david hogg comes from a solid middle class background (dad former fbi, mom teacher) and had all the benefits of such, some would say "white privilege" yet harvard seems to have accepted him because his political agenda coincides with theirs.

david hogg took a seat away from likely better academically qualified applicants and or an affirmative action student for which a harvard degree could be a life altering event., ie; next ben carson

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 10:54 AM, webfact said:

Kashuv, who distinguished himself from other Parkland students as a gun rights advocate after the school shooting, said on Twitter that he requested to meet with the admissions committee to discuss the matter in person, but Harvard denied his request.

Of course they did. Far better to just close their ears and pretend that he doesn't exist, than actually speak to him like another human being.

Gun rights advocate- the horror, the horror.

18 hours ago, atyclb said:

should harvard rescind ny times reporter Sarah Jeongs law degree for tweeting anti white racist comments?  or should she suffer the consequences and lose her job ??

IMO, the race comments were the excuse, not the reason. IMO, they banned him for being a gun rights advocate.

20 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:
18 hours ago, atyclb said:

IMO, the race comments were the excuse, not the reason. IMO, they banned him for being a gun rights advocate.

maybe.  interesting how the ny times reporter / harvard law grad made her racist tweets as a mature woman and harvard law grad no less and not as a pre-university teenager

I hadn't realized before that he had said -- Kill all the Jews.

16 isn't that young. 

How is there any excuse for that?

Sure he can say stuff like that, free speech,  but that doesn't mean he deserves to get within 100 miles of the country's most elite school. 
I hope he isn't admitted to community college.

Good on Harvard for filtering out this white nationalist extremist before he entered their school.

They have an established policy, nothing new to him, of rescinding admissions based on RACISM. Sorry, Charly, thems the rules.

People defending him -- why are you defending him?

Harvard did the right thing by revoking Kyle Kashuv’s admission

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/06/18/sure-kyle-kashuv-deserves-some-sympathy-consequences-make-sense/

1 minute ago, bendejo said:

Tomorrow's news today:

active shooter reported on Harvard campus, believed to be a survivor of the Parkland massacre that the university rejected

Well not selling guns to people that have posted "Kill all the Jews" would be a good idea.

20 hours ago, atyclb said:

If it was an honory degree then they would be perfectly within their rights to do so. However, since she earned the degree then it’s not a question of “should” as they simply can’t. 

36 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:
21 hours ago, atyclb said:

If it was an honory degree then they would be perfectly within their rights to do so. However, since she earned the degree then it’s not a question of “should” as they simply can’t. 

so you dont think she should face some consequences with her current employer?

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:
2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

And your evidence for this is?

Deflecting much?

When I include "IMO" which I'm sure you know stands for IN MY OPINION, I don't have to give evidence, as an opinion is just than and not a statement of fact.

dare you make a viable argument with the tvf leading academic

40 minutes ago, atyclb said:

From the BBC article you posted it looks like she has already faced some consequences from her actions but if you are asking whether she should be sacked then the answer is no. It wasn't that bad and wasn't the same as using the 'N' word and “Kill all the f---ing Jews' like the chap in this article wrote.

As I have said previously though, if this young man genuinely regrets his comments and they were only made as a silly 16 year old and not repeated since then, I think he should be given the benefit of the doubt and allowed into Harvard.  

1 hour ago, stevenl said:
1 hour ago, atyclb said:

Is that related to Harvard revoking?

unrelated to harvard since a point was made about honorary degree.

related to the ny times, supposedly an entity that may not tolerate open racism among its employees

31 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:
1 hour ago, atyclb said:

From the BBC article you posted it looks like she has already faced some consequences from her actions but if you are asking whether she should be sacked then the answer is no. It wasn't that bad and wasn't the same as using the 'N' word and “Kill all the f---ing Jews' like the chap in this article wrote.

As I have said previously though, if this young man genuinely regrets his comments and they were only made as a silly 16 year old and not repeated since then, I think he should be given the benefit of the doubt and allowed into Harvard.  

damn, a reasonable argument on tvf

21 hours ago, atyclb said:

maybe.  interesting how the ny times reporter / harvard law grad made her racist tweets as a mature woman and harvard law grad no less and not as a pre-university teenager

because some posters thought a 16 year old may have lacked maturity and thus should be forgiven for his tweets and not have his harvard acceptance rescinded i "very simply"

pointed out the racist tweets by sara jeong were made by a mature woman having had the benefit of a harvard education law degree no less thus the excuse of immaturity, lack of understanding, lack of education as an excuse does not come into play.

it is simply mind boggling how this would make someone confused especially someone that has been following this topic

Screen Shot 2019-06-20 at 09.52.27.png

On 6/19/2019 at 10:57 AM, atyclb said:

david hogg took a seat away from likely better academically qualified applicants

Really, how do you figure? He had a GPA of 4.2 which according to the college admissions website prepscholar.com, puts him in the 99th percentile of students nationwide. Even for students being accepted into Harvard, that would make him above the average. Yes, he had a below average SAT score but SAT scores are not necessarily indicative.

Here's what a Harvard Admissions Officer said about SAT scores in 2013:

"Generally speaking, the SAT is not very important," said Marilyn McGrath, director of undergraduate admissions at No. 1 ranked Harvard College. 

But in any event, college admissions have never been only about purely academic scores. Yes, they're one of the things considered but they're not the be-all and end-all.

All colleges weigh other factors beyond academics to ensure their campuses have a rich mix of personalities, talents and interests.

56 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Really, how do you figure? He had a GPA of 4.2 which according to the college admissions website prepscholar.com, puts him in the 99th percentile of students nationwide. Even for students being accepted into Harvard, that would make him above the average. Yes, he had a below average SAT score but SAT scores are not necessarily indicative.

Here's what a Harvard Admissions Officer said about SAT scores in 2013:

But in any event, college admissions have never been only about purely academic scores. Yes, they're one of the things considered but they're not the be-all and end-all.

All colleges weigh other factors beyond academics to ensure their campuses have a rich mix of personalities, talents and interests.

The bottom 25% at Harvard have an average SAT score of 1460.  David Hogg  SAT score of 1270

A 4.2 GPA is above a 4.0, so it's outside of the normal range for unweighted GPAs. If you have a 4.2, your school uses weighted GPAs, meaning they take class difficulty into account when calculating GPA. A 4.2 indicates that you are earning Bs and B+s in high level classes or As and A+s in mid level classes.

clearly the acceptance had nothing to do with his anti gun political activism

11 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Which is totally consistent with the Harvard director of undergraduate admissions saying that, "the SAT is not very important."

harvard's very own sat stats seem to strongly contradict his statement.  

in fact harvard has different sat standards for students based on race

in hoggs case its pretty clear they made an sat score exception due to his political agenda

Archived