Disposal of used motor oil

samuttodd

I like to do my own work on my Motorbike and will need to dispose of 3 liters of used motor oil.   What is the best place to do this,  Can I take it to a recycling place,  or ???    Back home,  we can drop off used motor oil at the automotive shops,  and they dump it in a large tank that is pumped every week to be recycled.

Please advise.

15 minutes ago, samuttodd said:

I live in a cement house about a stone's throw from the river.   So that is not an option.

I see that painting timber members is not for you then samuttodd. Ask about if someone has a wooden house or hut. Buy a 50mm brush and give it away with the oil. Don't give the oil to a Thai that will take it just to get the free brush and then throw the oil into the river.

Our time on this beautiful planet is short but the environment is here for much longer.

10 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Bring it to your local mechanic who should be glad to accept it. There is a market for recycled oil. It's not going to get dumped behind their shop.

I think you are giving away your genealogy there.

Shouldn't that read "take" it to your local mechanic? 

Just having a laugh...

2 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Bring it to your local mechanic who should be glad to accept it. There is a market for recycled oil. It's not going to get dumped behind their shop.

In our village there's quite a few diy m/c service places the one I go to puts used oil in a 40 gal drum as I call em.

seriously though.   Is there anyone that wants this motor oil?   I don't want to throw it in the trash,  and certainly not in the river.

do motorcycle shops want it/need it/reuse or recycle it?  

4 hours ago, owl sees all said:

If you have a wooden house on the farm. Use the oil as a deterrent to creepy crawlies. Just paint it onto the timber like a shop-bought repellent.

I have used it  like that ( creosote )  before  on some teak "duck boards"  in the garden  last oil change,

but this time I forgot  about doing that  and  put the old oil back into the new  container  and  gave it to the local "scavenger" lady    you can also just leave it by the rubbish bins and someone will take it for recycling...it does have  monetary value.

15 minutes ago, johng said:

I have used it  like that ( creosote )  before  on some teak "duck boards"  in the garden  last oil change,

but this time I forgot  about doing that  and  put the old oil back into the new  container  and  gave it to the local "scavenger" lady    you can also just leave it by the rubbish bins and someone will take it for recycling...it does have  monetary value.

Wasn't there a programme on TV years ago where ladies in China were recycling oils and fats? They were getting their stuff from the drains.

Would find its way back into the frying pan. Waste not, want not.

I'll try to find in on YT and post the link. Fascinating.

I used to give mine to the local massage parlour, but had to stop.  There got to be too many slippery city slickers sliding about, readily igniting at the slightest offense and then back sliding when it was pointed out.  Even the usually placid wood cutter kept flying off the handle.  I also tried helping one old guy who had a bad skin condition by getting his wife to rub some on his back, but he went down hill very fast afterwards.   Now I just spread it on the ground to keep the dust down, which has made the chickens taste funny, but makes them a lot quicker to cook, if a little harder to catch.

Like with all things thrown away in Thailand, it will be recycled if it can, automatically. There is always some people rummaging around in the waste, looking for stuff to sell. Just put it in a container and leave it by the trash bin outside. It will be gone within hours. If the container is worth something, that alone will make it go away quicker.

On 6/18/2019 at 7:43 AM, Tayaout said:

You can bring it to your local mechanic shop. They will dispose of it in the river for 

It looks like you have several options here 

Remember you are abroad now so the options are probably different to your home country

Firstly there is the add it to the petrol in small quantities to produce plenty of smoke behind you (a big favorite with the younger natives)

The less popular choice of burning it to see how much black smoke you can produce

Another native one is just leave it on the pavement in a bowl to see how long it takes for someone to walk in it 

And the least popular are 

1 put it in a drain(if you can find one

2 pour it carefully on the ground that is not yours

3 your river if poured slowly 3 liters should make a slick several kilometers long (kids like this option)

4 a refuse bin (someone will take it out for you)

5 leave it somewhete and deny all knowledge of it   (popular in the cities)

Remember when in rome.......

You are in thailand now...

On 6/18/2019 at 10:41 AM, Kwasaki said:

In our village there's quite a few diy m/c service places the one I go to puts used oil in a 40 gal drum as I call em.

It is not a 40 gallon drum it is a 205 liters steel barrel.....

The problem was the bloody yanks having different size gallons and filling somany barrels with their  oil so   the world has had to change to these foreign units /descriptions no one understands

Hope this helps

4 hours ago, The Old Bull said:

I remember about ten years ago when you took your car in for an oil change you got the used oil back.Now they keep it so must have a market for it.

It is recycled probably as cooking oil as in china it is not suitable as motor oil again  $#_=!h oh silly me we are in thailand

It will be recycled as top quality virgin oil (again)......

Recycled motor oil is suitable to spray on the chassis of your truck to stop rust or as creosote substitute (a little white spirit to thin as required )but little else never put in your engine again 

My big rig in uk has had new oil every 5000 miles from new and where as most trucks are well dead  by 4-500.000 at the very  most mine has 2.954.000 miles on the clock and still hauling big loads (50.000 kg +)

make what you like of that 

Tw   (phd eng)

6 hours ago, AlQaholic said:

Like with all things thrown away in Thailand, it will be recycled if it can, automatically. There is always some people rummaging around in the waste, looking for stuff to sell. Just put it in a container and leave it by the trash bin outside. It will be gone within hours. If the container is worth something, that alone will make it go away quicker.

Yes plastic containers ase 4bht/kg so the oil will end up dumped but the container will be recycled 

I pour mine into the crack between concrete slabs, and onto gravel, around the wall pf the building. It stops weeds growing, kills ants and other insects, deters snakes, and disappears into the ground quite quickly. The effects last about 3 months, 3litres will treat a length of wall and doorway about 50 metres. 

Archived