US pensioner arrested for staying in Thailand illegally

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Very true..

..and those who applaud -from the sidelines-are guilty of the same repugnant behaviour too.

Apparently they have overlooked Pastor Niemoller's words.."..and then they came for me."

Its interesting that you view it as a them and us situation  .

"They" are out to get us and "we" should all stick together and defend each other .

"Us" based of age , race and nationality .

Some posters tend to form opinions based on a persons race , age and nationality .

I do not , I form opinions based on facts and disregard who the person is  .

Would you have the same opinion if this guy was a 25 year old Nigerian ?

When a young Nigerian just walks into Thailand without a visa , would you also defend him so rigorously as well ?

On 6/18/2019 at 8:55 AM, Isaanbiker said:

First, the media call him a criminal, then another foreigner on an anonymous forum. What exactly was his crime? 10 days overstay? 

First the media said he was arrested,they probably won't call him a criminal until he is convicted.

3 minutes ago, RobboR said:

Law breakers get punished haha. 

Only when it suits.

Millions of laws are broken every day but millions escape punishment every day too

What others do is irrelevant  , this guy broke the law and hes facing punishment , as will every other overstayer/illegal entrant 

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

No, I dont think that its possible these days to bribe your way out of an illegal entry

Just as anyone might believe it's impossible to buy a Retirement Extension from a Visa agent for 15,000bht?

On 6/17/2019 at 8:54 PM, geoffbezoz said:

So it took 5 IOs to arrest one 69 year old man ?

It takes takes a few cops with guns to arrest a 10 year old kid in America if the kid is black. The same way, may be the they don't need so many IOs (or cops) if the person is Thai but as the person is a farang, they need so many. 

He should be punished to the full extent of Thai laws. The age should not be any consideration. If a person violates  immigration laws for economic reasons, I have sympathy for them. I have no sympathy for somebody violating immigration laws  for fun. 

On 6/18/2019 at 8:44 AM, bangkokfrog said:

Am I missing something? All this fuss over a 10 day overstay?

The man is lucky.   No matter what penalty the Thai's give him, if  it was up to some members of this board he'd be executed at dawn after a long night of severe torture.

28 minutes ago, RobboR said:

So you are happy for a death sentence to be carried out for a minor indiscretion. 

However, murderers and rapists walk around the country with impunity.

Absolutely staggering opinion to have 

I don't think Thailand is North Korea and no death penalty or gulag for immigration violation. As a foreigner he has no right to mock their immigration rules unless he is doing it for economic reasons. 

1 hour ago, watcharacters said:

The man is lucky.   No matter what penalty the Thai's give him, if  it was up to some members of this board he'd be executed at dawn after a long night of severe torture.

No, no one has suggested that .

Members have just suggested that he should face the normal  consequences for his actions 

This thread has bought out the extreme exaggerators though

10 hours ago, sanemax said:

No, no one has suggested that .

Members have just suggested that he should face the normal  consequences for his actions 

This thread has bought out the extreme exaggerators though

Maybe the US Pensioner is being treated harshly because he exposed a potential threat to national security?

IMO the whole issue of 'border runs' would be improved if the nonsense of having to physically enter another was changed as follows :-

It's always been a mystery to me why anyone who gets a 'Departed' stamp on  the Thai side of the border then has to actually enter Laos/Cambodia, pay the Entry Fee and then have their passport (2 pages) stamped, just to re-enter Thailand. IMO anyone being 'stamped out' has fulfilled the Immigration requirement, having arrived at the Immigration border post.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have a  'point of no return' after being stamped out, but before the actual border, so that those wanting to re enter immediately can turn around and go through the usual re entry process. Why not make the re entry fee 50% of the entry fee over in Laos/Cambodia? This would be a source of income to pay for the staffing at the border posts?

On 6/18/2019 at 9:22 AM, champers said:

Looks like intimidation and bullying to me. 5 officers onto 1 OAP. How proud they look.

Yep.

They're definitely compensating for something.

On 6/19/2019 at 8:11 AM, onera1961 said:

I don't blame them. They have learned it from American cops when dealing with blacks. 

That's funny...since when do Thais ever learn anything from outside of their borders? They have all the answers for everything already.

18 hours ago, joebrown said:

Maybe the US Pensioner is being treated harshly because he exposed a potential threat to national security?

IMO the whole issue of 'border runs' would be improved if the nonsense of having to physically enter another was changed as follows :-

It's always been a mystery to me why anyone who gets a 'Departed' stamp on  the Thai side of the border then has to actually enter Laos/Cambodia, pay the Entry Fee and then have their passport (2 pages) stamped, just to re-enter Thailand. IMO anyone being 'stamped out' has fulfilled the Immigration requirement, having arrived at the Immigration border post.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have a  'point of no return' after being stamped out, but before the actual border, so that those wanting to re enter immediately can turn around and go through the usual re entry process. Why not make the re entry fee 50% of the entry fee over in Laos/Cambodia? This would be a source of income to pay for the staffing at the border posts?

Don't be getting all sensible on us now. It is Thailand after all.

Archived