US pensioner arrested for staying in Thailand illegally

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, Odysseus123 said:

You have been doing it for years-attacking every "farang" in sight..it is a staple of your daily existence-and what an existence it must be..

Stating facts about a persons reason for being incarcerated  , whilst correcting another persons wrong information , is not "attacking" that person .

Its simply stating facts 

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously different people have different views on overstay and how it should be handled.

As per the pensioner who, I think, got things confused with respect to what to actually do re' a 'visa run' many first time visitors are totally unaware of the options, various, that exist for staying longer.

If you are a long term visitor the you should make yourself aware of the options well prior to extending your stay.

If it's his 4th/5th/6th time in Thailand then it's down to him. If it's his first time here then perhaps he got bad info' from a bar stool lawyer on the lines of 'you need to go back to the border and sort it there'. Conjecture on my part yes.

No-one has any idea how he reacted when intially told 'you are in Thailand without a visa and not legal, maybe he blew his top which is obviously the wrong thing to do. 

Perhaps/most likely even going to the airport without an entry stamp would have produced the same result.

Ok, overstay is overstay but he got himself into a different situation.

It's impossible to know the exact situation and trying to be fair it would be difficult for a border IO to tell who has made an unfortunate mistake and who is is trying to skirt the system.

Saying all that I feel that IDC is the worst option for a 69 years old guy.

As more and more information is going on Imm' systems would a fine and a record of ban on entry for a year going on computer and in the passport be more humane with say 14 days to sort things out then fly home?

If caught again still here after the 14 days then IDC and a longer blacklist applied.

Just sayin'

8 minutes ago, sanemax said:

You began your post with "sorry" , which is an apology , which I accepted .

If you retract your apology, I wont  accept that one 

The "sorry" is merely  a matter of courtesy before I disagreed with you.

Your question as to my supposed "illegality" was not rhetorical.

I suggest in future that you do not accuse people of an illegal activity in Thailand on an open forum.

17 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Obviously different people have different views on overstay and how it should be handled.

As per the pensioner who, I think, got things confused with respect to what to actually do re' a 'visa run' many first time visitors are totally unaware of the options, various, that exist for staying longer.

If you are a long term visitor the you should make yourself aware of the options well prior to extending your stay.

If it's his 4th/5th/6th time in Thailand then it's down to him. If it's his first time here then perhaps he got bad info' from a bar stool lawyer on the lines of 'you need to go back to the border and sort it there'. Conjecture on my part yes.

No-one has any idea how he reacted when intially told 'you are in Thailand without a visa and not legal, maybe he blew his top which is obviously the wrong thing to do. 

Perhaps/most likely even going to the airport without an entry stamp would have produced the same result.

Ok, overstay is overstay but he got himself into a different situation.

It's impossible to know the exact situation and trying to be fair it would be difficult for a border IO to tell who has made an unfortunate mistake and who is is trying to skirt the system.

Saying all that I feel that IDC is the worst option for a 69 years old guy.

As more and more information is going on Imm' systems would a fine and a record of ban on entry for a year going on computer and in the passport be more humane with say 14 days to sort things out then fly home?

If caught again still here after the 14 days then IDC and a longer blacklist applied.

Just sayin'

Well your post is definitely more humane-which is a plus in my view.

Otherwise I cleave to my present position..there must be something in the water over there..or the lead piping,perhaps?

If these useless idiots had a proper setup in place at land borders, sneaking in or out would be much more difficult. I can't tell if this guy did it by accident or for a nefarious reason, but what's one American compared with millions of illegals from neighboring countries anyway? The big show is way over the top in any case.

15 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Stupidity isn't an excuse for a crime.

That's not a bad point and should be applied to the quarter million or so(?) Thais having either overstayed in the US or planted anchor babies who are counted as "Americans". Their children are pampered and educated at falang expense. Oh but that's fine and dandy. 

6 minutes ago, AdamKnight said:

That's not a bad point and should be applied to the quarter million or so(?) Thais having either overstayed in the US or planted anchor babies who are counted as "Americans". Their children are pampered and educated at falang expense. Oh but that's fine and dandy. 

The difference is Thailand enforces its immigration laws while the idiots in the US congress think its a human right to break the law and are literally rolling out the red carpet for illegals. America's thoroughly dysfunctional immigration system is a cautionary tale

Looks to me as if he may have thought he had been allowed back into Thailand at first then went back and was told to pay a fine.  He then went home instead of seeking advice and paying the fine. Maybe this is his first visit to the country... maybe he went home to seek advice/talk to friends???? Who knows but whatever the reason it was wrong. But hey come on a huge song and dance for what is only actually a 10 day overstay. Another imm8gration story that really is nothing. The man did wrong tell him let him pay what is owed and let him on his way.  

Its not as if he is the same as the gent from UK last week who had been accused of murder, was a known drug dealer and was wanted by the UK law. 

A'h nothing like a good happy group photo shoot of the BIBs of a job well done to demonstrate to the new boss; look boss we are doing a great job here, the 5 of us busted this old Farang guy cheating our impeccable Thai immigration system, it's really the crime of the century and our best bust ever, we boys nailed the old fart; he is going to monkey town until we can deport this dangerous criminal, any chance of a getting more tea money for the boys up here! 

12 minutes ago, Oziex1 said:

The theatrics are poor, big joke new how to put on a good show.

He wouldn't have bothered this guy, too many Africans to put in the parade.

If the officers had pointed more in the photo, it would have been much better.

23 hours ago, champers said:

Looks like intimidation and bullying to me. 5 officers onto 1 OAP. How proud they look.

Intimidation no surely not by immigration ONLY 5, took only 4 of these to make my house visit ( 2 vehicles ).:welcomeani:

17 hours ago, Bigz said:

I hope that when you get old and stupid you won't be branded a criminal for your mistakes so easily as you do with others. At that age it well could be a genuine mistake. 

Most people who are stupid at old age  have been stupid all their life.

17 hours ago, sanemax said:

Do you think that old people should be treated differently to everyone else ?

Old people should be allowed to break laws ?

Do you think younger people should treat all older people as being a bit daft and basically useless? ????????????

20 hours ago, LongTang said:

Did you open an account here just to spread your xenophobic filth?

But don't worry, Very soon after this place will be another Chinese authoritarian province, you will find yourself missing very much all the US and British people who will be long gone for good..

I agree 100%. Ask a Hong Kong citizen if they'd rather be under British rule again or under the dictate of communist China. I can assure you, after what has been demonstrated in HK over the past week, it would be the former. If last week's demonstrations had occurred in China proper, the tanks would have been rolling again, just like the massacre in 1989.

3 minutes ago, Uptooyoo said:

I agree 100%. Ask a Hong Kong citizen if they'd rather be under British rule again or under the dictate of communist China. I can assure you, after what has been demonstrated in HK over the past week, it would be the former. If last week's demonstrations had occurred in China proper, the tanks would have been rolling again, just like the massacre in 1989.

Or option #3.     Under no other country's   rule at all.

On 6/18/2019 at 9:51 AM, bluesofa said:
On 6/18/2019 at 8:54 AM, geoffbezoz said:

sneaked into Thailand through the exit area" so was she more upset he came in the back door ?  ????.

Was that a double entendre there by chance?

She wouldn't be the first to object...

14 hours ago, AdamKnight said:

Its within the law to have "anchor babies" in the USA though, nothing illegal about it 

On 6/18/2019 at 2:01 PM, Traubert said:

It's not like they've got the cattle prods out and his feet in a bucket of water is it? It's just a photograph.

If you zoom in you'll see they've smashed his face to a pulp, to the degree that there are no longer any distinguishing features. 

Archived