BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jonathan Fairfield

US pensioner arrested for staying in Thailand illegally

1 hour ago, geoffbezoz said:

So it took 5 IOs to arrest one 69 year old man ? Guess that's about right for Thais. Mind you it states that "police captain (female) Wilai Thaiphakdee as having sneaked into Thailand through the exit area" so was she more upset he came in the back door ?  😂.

That would depend on who's back door he entered  :whistling:

If Thai's took a leaf out of Trump's America, his children would be in a cage.

42 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

From the sound of it, and his age, it might've been an honest mistake rather than a criminal mastermind. He did go back to attempt and "fix" his mistake which is when he was arrested (or to be more accurate turned himself in). Hardly a hardened criminal, so parading him around on media like that is unwarranted, and he will probably be banned for a good few years which at his age is a lot - all the fuss over 10 days when you have thousands of people from Myanmar/Laos/etc enter and stay illegally for much longer. Not to mention overstayers which BJ claimed to have cleared out but I'm sure there's plenty left.

Yes, I often get confused when crossing a land border, and wind up back in the country I just left, mysteriously bypassing immigration, and then travel 500km or so back to where I had just come from, all the while wondering why the new country looks so similar to the previous.  And then, a week later, I finally realise my mistake and, rather than go directly to the immigration where I am, retrace my steps to where I illegally entered, and try to leave the country.  He did not attempt to 'fix' his mistake.  He did not turn himself in - both of those could have been done far more easily in Bangkok.  He tried to leave the country.  My guess is he had something he wanted to do in Bangkok, but couldn't get another extension, so came back, did it and then tried to slip out again.  Of course, that's just speculation, but far more likely than it being an honest mistake, which he attempted to rectify over a week later.

The age business is interesting though.  Still having well over a decade to go before reaching the grand old age of 69 (if ever), I had no idea that ones mental faculties were likely to become so deteriorated by then. Maybe immigration should enforce a psychiatric assessment for anyone over 65 wanting a visa or extension, to make sure they actually know what country they're in?

2 hours ago, bangkokfrog said:

Am I missing something? All this fuss over a 10 day overstay?

For an overstay you need to have an entry stamp. This guy stamped himself out of Thailand and then sneaked back in illegally.

May be he stamped out of Thailand then stamped back in without entering Loas and paying 1500 baht and a huge visa sticker that takes up a whole page in his passport?

Someone should send these overzealous, OCD IOs to the US southern border to train the border patrol agents there in illegal migrant apprehension.

Pedophiles In....Pensioners OUT.

18 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

May be he stamped out of Thailand then stamped back in without entering Loas and paying 1500 baht and a huge visa sticker that takes up a whole page in his passport?

Maybe He Forgot his Wallet to pay for the Laos Visa ?/...................Yeah That's it.....NO Cards accepted for Visa's !!

4 hours ago, bangkokfrog said:

Am I missing something? All this fuss over a 10 day overstay?

Welcome in LOS

3 hours ago, champers said:

Looks like intimidation and bullying to me. 5 officers onto 1 OAP. How proud they look.

Yes, Not much different to motor cycle taxi riders / drivers.

Falang, on over stay,  Get him, now,  the scum, 69 year old foreigner. :bah:

The other news today

Thailand's murderous, Drivers and Riders, have killed 65 more people on the roads today.

Nice one,   some will be children as well.

You got your priorities just perfect. Thailand. :saai:

Came here thinking that this would be a story about a 10 year over stay or something - not 10 days

4 hours ago, Estrada said:

I do not believe that there is anything in the regulations that stated you have to enter another country after receiving an exit stamp. 

Maybe just another dimension would be enough?

4 hours ago, Estrada said:

{snipped} I do not believe that there is anything in the regulations that stated you have to enter another country after receiving an exit stamp.

Regarding the Bridge at Nong Khai, IIRC Thai immigration will not allow you (back) into Thailand without an exit stamp from Laos.

45 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

Yes, Not much different to motor cycle taxi riders / drivers.

Falang, on over stay,  Get him, now,  the scum, 69 year old foreigner. :bah:

The other news today

Thailand's murderous, Drivers and Riders, have killed 65 more people on the roads today.

Nice one,   some will be children as well.

You got your priorities just perfect. Thailand. :saai:

It's not like they've got the cattle prods out and his feet in a bucket of water is it? It's just a photograph.

Plus I'm fairly sure the Immigration Police have no input on traffic safety. They probably leave that to the Traffic Police. Do you call a plumber when your computer blows up?