US pensioner arrested for staying in Thailand illegally

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Centra said:

We don't get stamps in Australia. If thats the case why when I leave Bangkok get stamp then into Sydney no stamp, then back to Bangkok no questions.

Last time i looked i did not see Australia as a country i could enter from thailand over a land border.

Just shocking what some foreigners try to get away with!! All the drug probs, murders, rapes, road tolling Thailand,  pall to insignificance, after Ken Dirac was finallybrought to justice by 5 upstanding Police Officers!!  Pathetic really!!!  

7 hours ago, Estrada said:

I had this problem once. Flew to Singapore for a meeting in the airport transit area with a friends transiting through Singapore Airport. Neither of us entered Singapore but I exited Thailand. They gave my agro at Immigration because they said I must enter the other country. (Thai logic). I remember years ago a friend used to go to a border crossing, get stamped out and then go to the the end of the building and get stamped back in again. It seems like there are people still using this system. I do not believe that there is anything in the regulations that stated you have to enter another country after receiving an exit stamp.

The regulation is whatever they say it is. Try asking to see where it's written in law that you have to enter another country and see how far you get. If they say it is so, it is so.

I've been tempted to just exit Thailand at Mukdahan and cross the road to come back (saving the $35 Lao visa fee), but that would upset the uniforms. As far as they are concerned, you not only have to leave the country for no reason at all other than you (in my case) have lived with your wife for the 90 days allowed, but you have to enter another country too. Even if only for five minutes.

It is ludicrous, pathetic, utterly pointless and without logic, but it is the way they like to operate. It gives them a feeling of power. Its only purpose is to show that they are in control. There can be no other reason.

If he was Chinese, instead of American, he would have been excused - by both the Thais and the foreigners on this forum. 

I mean, it's not like he squatted in the middle of a Thai street and and took a giant dump in front of God and everyone...Oh that's right, Chinese are excused for that and not even arrested. 

56 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Their mandate is to deal with immigrations matters not whatever seems more interesting when they come to work some mornings.

Possibly in your country meter maids are sometimes assigned to tackle surveillance of possible terrorists if that seems more important than parking in a no parking zone?

you give those guys the thumbs up.

The story was not even news worthy.

Get him, Get Him, Get all of them. 

2 hours ago, Uptooyoo said:

The evil foreigner didn't walk ...

The evil foreign pensioneer, let's just be clear on that one. It's foreign pensioneers that, instead of staying in their home countries, come into the Kingdom of Thailand to commit crimes, taking advantage of the loose visas and all that.

Therefore, more visa regulation is needed, to keep the bad guys out.

(sarcasm)

1 hour ago, moe666 said:

In the end we all know at present they are clamping down on every infraction, why give them an excuse to clamp down on you easier to just follow the rules and keep your nose clean.

Easier said than done... Wait till they start kicking us out for not reporting the TM30 on time..

Some years ago I stamped out at Nong Khai stamped into Lao accidentally walked round without stamping out of Lao got the bus back to Nong Khai where the IO pointed this out to me had to get the bus back to Lao to stamp out before could stamp back in at Nong Khai. 

lf you've got something on your mind it's easy enough to make a mistake. 

9 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

So it took 5 IOs to arrest one 69 year old man ? Guess that's about right for Thais. Mind you it states that "police captain (female) Wilai Thaiphakdee as having sneaked into Thailand through the exit area" so was she more upset he came in the back door ?  ????.

Next time just shoot the kneecaps.

NOT have illegally but immigration have stupid idiot law and not need immgration visa law anythink, all europe not have same idiot law, all world not have, only idiotland and monkeyland have idiot visa system what need end fast. off.

6 hours ago, michelsavage said:

This "criminal" case is pathetic. The picture of the officers with the "bandit" is even more pathetic. Thailand, when the <deleted> are you going to grow the <deleted> up?

immigration thats have bandit and big idiot. better immigration not work anythink and forget all owerstay system and visa stupid system.

9 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Stupidity isn't an excuse for a crime.

I hope that when you get old and stupid you won't be branded a criminal for your mistakes so easily as you do with others. At that age it well could be a genuine mistake. 

4 minutes ago, Tony Hanscomb said:

So I guess the old bugger wil now face the death penalty or an option to pay a huge sum of money.

Well when he does get home his story will probably put a few of his friends off a visit and they will spend their retirement dollars somewhere else.

2 hours ago, LongTang said:

First we don't know, Secondly even if it was, He didn't do it to stay illegally for a lengthy period of time here as he was back after a few days so we don't know what was his circumstances.

Either way, There is no excuse for Parading and humiliating an old man in the media like that even if he was in the wrong !

Do you think that old people should be treated differently to everyone else ?

Old people should be allowed to break laws ?

1 hour ago, CelticTam said:

When exiting Thailand, there is a separate exit point for those on overstay and it is clearly signed, he should have been directed there. Maybe he thought if I simply do a quick turn around I won't have to travel to Laos and pay the $35 entry fee and also  he did not want to pay the 1,000 Baht over-stay penalty. 

He wasnt on an overstay though , he was in Thailand without an entry stamp/exit date

2 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

65 dead people or 10 day overstay old falang = Get him, get him now !!!!!!!!!

Yes, i think the police should concentrate there efforts elsewhere.

move a few thousand, photo op boys, and Big joke buddies, to different desks,  payroll stays the same.

But it sure is hard to get,  the Thai authorities to care about any real things.

they all have, the it's not my job attitude or just don't care at all.

BTW, think immigration Police, have the same,  if not more powers than the average cop, so why not get them to do some real work in the community.

thats my point, whats yours ?:coffee1:

Get rid of all immigration officers and just let foreigners come and go as they please ?

9 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

So it took 5 IOs to arrest one 69 year old man ? Guess that's about right for Thais. Mind you it states that "police captain (female) Wilai Thaiphakdee as having sneaked into Thailand through the exit area" so was she more upset he came in the back door ?  ????.

where was her photo

2 hours ago, mike787 said:

I'm thinking the same...what and idiotic country.  It's not like he is head of the mafia or operating a "killing field".  Just and old man.  

Well, hes an old man that entered Thailand illegally , which makes him a criminal 

Wow, sneaked in through the exit side. Wow, where were the imigration police, having there play on the computer games or having their many snack periods.

They should be punished for having the exit 2 way.

pathetic really.

Fine the guy 500 Baht and give him a stamp. He is not a real criminal for Gods Sake.

Has ThaiVisa got nothing else to report besides  this horrendous crime. Did the Thai SAS go back home after his capture.

Archived