Chiang Mai: Gambling crackdown on cuddly toys imminent!

webfact

Chiang Mai: Gambling crackdown on cuddly toys imminent!

4pm_VI.jpg

Caption: Yet more opening! Crane grab toy games sprouting up contrary to governor's orders

Chiang Mai News reported that crane grab toy games were brazenly sprouting up all over the city contrary to the orders of the governor of the northern Thai province. 

Some weeks back parents had gone to the media to complain that the machines - where you put in 10 baht to try and get a cheap cuddly toy - were corrupting their children. 

4pm1.jpg

Picture: Chiang Mai News

They were seen as little more than a gambling addiction with the city's youngsters feeding in hundreds of baht to get their hands on a fake Hello Kitty.  

There were a few arrests at the time but the news media found large numbers of the machines in operation in shopping centers and computer malls when they went to investigate yesterday. 

Now, they said that the Thai Ministry of the Digital Economy and Society was preparing a crackdown. 

Thaivisa notes that Thailand often has gambling crackdowns though cuddly toys is a relatively new one. 

Some foreign pensioners were hauled into the police station in Pattaya for playing Bridge a few years back and darts has come under scrutiny. 

However, plans to rein in "Connect 4" was a Thaivisa April Fool's Day hoax in 2018. 

Source: Chiang Mai News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-06-18

8 minutes ago, webfact said:

Chiang Mai News reported that crane grab toy games were brazenly sprouting up all over the city contrary to the orders of the governor of the northern Thai province. 

They learned very well from the forest arsonist where nothing was done.????

Is this article serious??? machines corrupting the kids?

I have often eaten at RCA and just outside the restaurant are 10 or more of these machines. Almost every time I see a group of men come and put in the coins. They seem to catch a toy every time and I am amazed at their skills. They often walk away with armfuls of toys.

I thought it was the owners emptying  the machines, but I guess I am wrong.

14 minutes ago, legend49 said:

So 10 baht and a cuddly toy reward is gambling and corrupt? What do they call paying for a document thats is free from Immigration office then, i.e residential form ?

oppertunity 

6 hours ago, petedk said:

Is this article serious??? machines corrupting the kids?

I have often eaten at RCA and just outside the restaurant are 10 or more of these machines. Almost every time I see a group of men come and put in the coins. They seem to catch a toy every time and I am amazed at their skills. They often walk away with armfuls of toys.

I thought it was the owners emptying  the machines, but I guess I am wrong.

If that is true the machines are broke or they somehow hacked them.  Those machines are set so the tongs only lock a certain percentage of the time.  No matter how well you place them they will open back up most of the time.

Archived