Kalasin: Monks living it up on a raft - Buddhist organisation investigates

webfact

Monks living it up on a raft - Buddhist organisation investigates

10pm2.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

A religious affairs department is investigating after a group of monks posted pictures of them having a day out on a raft on a lake in Kalasin. There was plenty of food and a steamboat. 

Netizens were wondering if this contravened the rules about being Buddhist.

It looked a bit fancy and monks are meant to only eat donated food - and before midday at that.

The Kalasin Buddhist Association denied that it was monks from their area.

But they are looking into the matter. 

The incident happened on Sunday in the Sahatkhan district of the north eastern Thai province. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-06-18

The article states "Netizens were wondering if this contravened the rules about being Buddhist".

This is Thailand where Buddhism is as corrupt as any other state sponsored organisation and these so called Netizens are well aware of that.  It just a cover because the Monks got caught out and the hypocritical Thais are just trying to display shock and awe and pretend it is a one off.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

It looked a bit fancy and monks are meant to only eat donated food - and before midday at that.

Where do you get this information from? I live near a temple and what I see are the monks who often buy food in nearby restaurants.

We also occasionally organize a small party on a raft, it's a chance to be undisturbed.

3 hours ago, 30la said:

Where do you get this information from? I live near a temple and what I see are the monks who often buy food in nearby restaurants.

The information is correct.  I see monks with top of the range phones and laptops, but that doesn't mean it's acceptable to have them.

3 hours ago, 30la said:

We also occasionally organize a small party on a raft, it's a chance to be undisturbed.

Are you a monk?  If not, it's hardly relevant.

Buddhist monks are allowed to only eat food that has been donated to them.  If you see a monk or group of monks in a restaurant, normally there is someone there paying for it.  We only eat food in a restaurant if we were traveling somewhere.  And, Monks are not allowed to eat from 12 noon and before daybreak.  It's not completely unusual to see some monks relaxing at a lake or National forest somewhere.  But almost always have a civilian or two with them.  However, as everyone on here knows, Thai monks always seem to do their own thing.  

Archived