Red Ants - Mot Dang, need information

bubbaba

I am posting this topic here instead of a farming section since ants are a problem for homeowners as well as farmers.  Red Ants in my yard are so bad I can hardly walk through my yard without being stung by one. I have three small mango trees, however, I had ants long before the trees.  They are in or around my gazebo, garden, fruit trees, lawn, house, everywhere.  What can be done about the ants? I have tried several home tricks that only seem to feed them. My Thai wife has tried some type of power that only works a little and disappears when it rains.  I thought about having a pest company spray the entire yard and kill them all. However, I am worried about what else it might kill. Fish in my pond. Vegetables in my garden, etc. I need advise. Please give me your comments and ideas. Thank you.

10 hours ago, BobBKK said:

I have a pest control company that comes every 3 months and no more red ants. The little green boxes from BigC never worked.

What affect does the products you use have on vegetables and fruit trees? I have quite a few. Are you located in or near Korat, Nong Bua Sala area?

10 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

Oh thats great, I'll get some for the wife.  Now, back to the ant problem...........................!

Chaindrite in an orange bag, THB140 I think. It works. Forget about Borax.ants.thumb.JPG.aa87c81f05e6bd59aab0718b3c18d945.JPG

• Like 1

You can always put them in the soup.

Seriously though my wife makes lines of chalk on the ground in places where she doesn’t want them to cross over, no chemicals involved only thing is they wash away quick this time of year.

51 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

I use Chaindrite products. All seem to work fine wether spray, liquid etc.

Available in most stores. 

I agree. Works like magic. Whenever I see any ants, indoors or outside, I just put a few drops right on top of them. The rest show up and take it back to the nest and instant ant genocide. The next day, no ants.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

I use Chaindrite products. All seem to work fine wether spray, liquid etc.

Available in most stores. 

Yes Chaindrite is the way to go or there is another brand called Zypertac same stuff but not so expensive, usually found next to it on the shop shelves. Dilute the white liquid around 20 to 1 and use it with a small pressure spray around and on the trees

We have mango trees which the ants quite like also a pond, keep the Chaindrite away from the water and the fish will be fine.  

The ants we call Red Ant, and have the most trouble with in the garden, are actually Weaver Ants as mentioned in a post above.

They move territory by marching along defined routes, in our case they come along the street cables. They live in foliage, bending leaves together to form a nest. If you disturb them with pruning or whatever, they swarm out and bite as one. They can spray formic acid on the bite wound causing some pain. They, and their larvae, are considered a delicacy in some parts of the country.

Thailand also has fire ants which nest in mounds in the ground.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, CGW said:

Borax and sugar mixed together into a paste, they will eat it and are supposed to die off, seems to work for a while.......

Yes, it works, but you need to get the proportions right to get the best effect. Takes a few days to see results.

Lots of videos on Youtube on how to do it. You can order Borax online from Chemipan.

Same situation at our house. They're everywhere. I found a simple cheap solution on the internet. Mix a half cup of dish washing liquid (use the cheap makro stuff) with 5 litre of water in sprayer (or equivalent amounts). Spray them directly and they will die in about 2-5 minutes.  You can experiment with the quantity, I just do it by eye. It really works and is cheap, because you will need to spray frequently. It does not harm my plants. If you can find them,  saturate the nests.

Edited by mhortig
additional information

2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

The ants we call Red Ant, and have the most trouble with in the garden, are actually Weaver Ants as mentioned in a post above.

They move territory by marching along defined routes, in our case they come along the street cables. They live in foliage, bending leaves together to form a nest. If you disturb them with pruning or whatever, they swarm out and bite as one. They can spray formic acid on the bite wound causing some pain. They, and their larvae, are considered a delicacy in some parts of the country.

Thailand also has fire ants which nest in mounds in the ground.

Isn't Google great!  

• Haha 1

For 100% eradication of an ant colony without using poisons or toxic substances, use boric acid and jam, mixed at a ratio of exactly 1 boric acid to 10 jam. Put this everywhere there are ants, placed in water bottle caps. Jeep the caps full until the ants disappear.  Ants won't die immediately at this ratio and will carry it back to the nest and the entire colony will die very quickly. Depending on the species, 1 to 4 days. I've never used it on ants outside the house, so I'm not sure if it works on Weaver ants. I got my boric acid online, delivered from BKK by a chemical company, for about 300 baht.....1 kilo..... is enough for many houses. The acid is not harmful in small amounts to animals or humans.