Pedestrian seriously injured after being hit by car in Kathu – VIDEO

webfact

Pedestrian seriously injured after being hit by car in Kathu – VIDEO

By The Thaiger

64315992_2577011249286674_11227593451514

PHOTOS: อาสา ของ ประชาชน VIDEO: Kathu Police/ Newshawk Phuket

A pedestrian has sustained serious injuries after being hit by a sedan while crossing a road in Kathu, Phuket. Volunteers rescue workers report that they were notified of the incident at 7.19pm last night at the Kathu Intersection (near the Caltex petrol station).

They have arrived at the scene to find an unconscious man on the road. He has sustained a serious injury and was rushed to Vachira Phuket Hospital.

The sedan and the driver were not waiting at the scene when rescue workers arrived but the driver later presented himself at the Kathu Police Station along with the damaged sedan.

Police are continuing their investigation.

64900534_2577011335953332_63965451051797

64704027_2577058405948625_21908784943202

Source: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/pedestrian-seriously-injured-after-being-hit-by-car-in-kathu-video

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-06-18

5 minutes ago, Reigntax said:

They just Don't give a shit about the injured. Should be mandatory jail for leaving an accident scene

It's the law in Thailand and other Asia countries that not need to stop but must present self to any police station within 24 hours. The reasoning is that an angry crowd might attack and kill the driver. I sort of see the reasoning but can allow driver to sober up in the 24 hours.

3 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

It's the law in Thailand and other Asia countries that not need to stop but must present self to any police station within 24 hours. The reasoning is that an angry crowd might attack and kill the driver. I sort of see the reasoning but can allow driver to sober up in the 24 hours.

That say something in general ????, i.e. between a rock and hard place

As sad as such an accident is, but a person in this mental or physical state should not be walking on the road alone.

Obviously heavy disturbed or intoxicated and not able to take care for himself.

31 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

As sad as such an accident is, but a person in this mental or physical state should not be walking on the road alone.

Obviously heavy disturbed or intoxicated and not able to take care for himself.

How did you come to that opinion. I see a careless jay walker.

1 minute ago, LivinginKata said:

How did you come to that opinion. I see a careless jay walker.

I see a person in the video that walks onto a road in the night with oncoming group of vehicles like having a death wish.

May fate me spare from such an encounter when driving.

Holy s...

28 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I see a person in the video that walks onto a road in the night with oncoming group of vehicles like having a death wish.

May fate me spare from such an encounter when driving.

Holy s...

I would like to know whether the traffic lights were still on green. You will notice everyone else stopped. Might it be the pedestrian saw red light and crossed. White car racing fast to get through red light. 

I don't know. But to call the injured man  'a person in this mental or physical state should not be walking on the road alone' is also gross speculation.

It's common practice here to run the red lights because there is no adverse consequences with the law. It appears that is what this driver was doing, as his speed didn't decrease at all. Unusually, he did swerve in an attempt to miss the pedestrian.

The pedestrian may have had the legal right to cross, but by striding across in front of oncoming traffic without looking and expecting it to stop for him showed extremely poor judgement or impairment of some kind.

16 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

When I worked in Indonesia and in Africa those were our instructions - don't stop - head for the nearest police station.  Angry mobs soon gather and mob mentality takes over.  In Africa, the driver and any passengers would get out of the vehicle and scatter in all directions.

3 hours ago, Prairieboy said:

When I worked in Indonesia and in Africa those were our instructions - don't stop - head for the nearest police station.  Angry mobs soon gather and mob mentality takes over.  In Africa, the driver and any passengers would get out of the vehicle and scatter in all directions.

Exactly ... I learned this rule when I sat my Driving Test in Indonesia. When I looked into this a bit more a found a real life incident where a family drove through a remote village, ran over and killed a village girl. Mob dragged a daughter out of car and killed her on the spot.  

In my opinion the blame lies squarely with the pedestrian, regardless of whether the light was green or red. He was strolling across the road as if he had all the time in the world, at night, in oncoming traffic...

Always look before making a move, whether you're walking or driving and changing lanes or going through an intersection.

22 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

This is exactly the advice I got from a (Thai) police officer; especially with accident in country side... Also confirmed by many Thai friends.

2 hours ago, mercman24 said:

the law is an ass when was the last time a so called mob beat up a driver, they just use this as an excuse. to go home and sober up, and leave some poor innocent bugger lying half dead in the road

I remember a few years ago a mob rioted and burnt the local police station because a couple of the local druggie boys killed themselves under a concrete truck while running from the police.

There have been other incidences of mob violence here after a traffic accident involving religious ethnic communities.,

4 minutes ago, lespaulTV said:

maybe i am blind but i see no traffic light but a person with death wish.

Other vehicles stopped. It is therefore a reasonable assumption that they stopped for traffic lights, whereas the car which hit the pedestrian appeared to speed up, it may therefore be another reasonable assumption given experience of the mentality of many Thai road users that the driver of the car which hit the pedestrian sped up to 'beat' the lights, thus catching the pedestrian by surprise who may have assumed all vehicles would stop for the changing light. 

That said, the pedestrian took no caution whatsoever when crossing the road which is tantamount to hang a death wish when crossing a road in Thailand. 

Looking at the video, I would not call it an accident.  The guy just decided to step into the road when he wanted.  There does not seem to be a cross walk there, the light was green for the car traffic.  You take the risks, you suffer he consequences.

3 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

Looking at the video, I would not call it an accident.  The guy just decided to step into the road when he wanted.  There does not seem to be a cross walk there, the light was green for the car traffic.  You take the risks, you suffer he consequences.

How can you say the light was green. I see all the other traffic stopping. I see this driver racing to beat the lights. This is only my observation.

3 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

How can you say the light was green. I see all the other traffic stopping. I see this driver racing to beat the lights. This is only my observation.

You may be right.  The car that hit the man is the only one that went through the intersection.  I thought the other cars stopped because of the accident, but that was a foolish assumption on my part. 

Archived