English Language Rental Agreements. Do the courts recognize them?

I am in search of a new rental condo.  The English contracts I have encountered border on meaningless verbiage to a contract that can't be read.  I end up writing my own contract.  Do the courts uphold contracts in English only?

There are lots of standard easy to understand lease documents written in both Thai and English.

https://slice-of-thai.com/rental/rental_contract.pdf

Why would you risk writing your own contract that may/may not stand up in a dispute or court etc. Lease documents have standard paragraphs and phrasing etc to meet any legal requirements.

2 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

If you sign that mess it might be actually good for you as every invalid clause gets replaced with a standard one if the court deems them invalid.

https://www.tilleke.com/sites/default/files/Feb_18_Residential_Building_Leasing_Business_Subject_to_Contract_Controls_0.pdf here are the new rental laws btw.

That was very helpful.  Thank you.  If I could send you a real cookie through the internet I would send you a full bag.

I presume residential lease agreements like commercial lease agreements are recognized in English. Normally there is a clause which states which language agreement takes precedent in case of dispute, and in which jurisdiction although i doubt that would matter in a residential lease.

4 hours ago, smutcakes said:

I presume residential lease agreements like commercial lease agreements are recognized in English. Normally there is a clause which states which language agreement takes precedent in case of dispute, and in which jurisdiction although i doubt that would matter in a residential lease.

This was also very helpful.

If you ever end up in court with an English language contract, it will have to be translated into Thai for the court.

Related issues:-

Also, make sure you are dealing with the real owner before you sign.

When paying rent, do it through a bank where you get a bank receipt as proof of payment.

Archived