Non o or oa visa from uk

44 minutes ago, ian carman said:

Thanks for the reply.It seems logical to get a non oa rather than a non o because I will have nearly 2 years to open a bank account rather then have to rush around and try and open one in only 30 days under a non o.

Yes, it’s the best option if you can meet the requirements.

You are able to apply for an extension of stay within the last 30 days of any 1 year stay you receive when entering with the visa.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, ian carman said:

Thanks for the reply.It seems logical to get a non oa rather than a non o because I will have nearly 2 years to open a bank account rather then have to rush around and try and open one in only 30 days under a non o.

Little bit of extra effort in the application process but for sure I would opt for O-A

if in your shoes. Don't forget to buy your reentry permit for the second year if you plan on travel outside los.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ian carman said:

The difference is in the requirement for a police report and medical, other than that an OA is a great way to retire to LOS. There might be a requirement for Medical Insurance in the pipeline for an OA which is another effort.

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

The difference is in the requirement for a police report and medical, other than that an OA is a great way to retire to LOS. There might be a requirement for Medical Insurance in the pipeline for an OA which is another effort.

As with everything in life, some things are easy for some people and others are not. Getting O-A is very easy for me and I had a plan to use only O-A and never had to visit immigration inside Thailand but with the looming insurance requirement it may not be possible. My next move is to find a good and reliable agent who can take care of my extension inside Thailand. 

Edited by onera1961

As with everything in life, some things are easy for some people and others are not. Getting O-A is very easy for me and I had a plan to use only O-A and never had to visit immigration inside Thailand but with the looming insurance requirement it may not be possible. My next move is to find a good and reliable agent who can take care of my extension inside Thailand. 

Seems like the OA loophole has been sussed !!
I too had plans for another OA in September to avoid the financial requirements but the impending health insurance will probably put the kibosh on that .

Plan B .

14 hours ago, ian carman said:

The Non O single entry allows an entry of 90 days, not 30.

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Seems like the OA loophole has been sussed !!
I too had plans for another OA in September to avoid the financial requirements but the impending health insurance will probably put the kibosh on that .

Plan B .

Indeed! I was smug about the recent changes to the 800k money in bank requirements. My plan was rather than obtain new extension return to oz (need to anyway) and obtain O-A. Wash and repeat every 2 yrs. Now with possibility of health insurance I'm no longer smug. Just recently scurried about transferring the 800k blood money into FD account. Some of members TVF say how dumb Thai imm are. Nup! Ever watched a cat toying with a mouse before he kills it? Just call me Micky.

OP grab your OA now.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

The Non O single entry allows an entry of 90 days, not 30.

I suspect with a need to preseason for 2 months that leaves only 1 to get a bank account sorted and money moved in.

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I suspect with a need to preseason for 2 months that leaves only 1 to get a bank account sorted and money moved in.

I opened an account the day after I moved to Thailand.

Funds deposited the day after.

The problems encountered when opening an account in my experience is, one the foreign doesn't previously read the requirements beforehand, so goes unprepared and secondly, ill advised, poorly trained banking staff who have no idea of the requirements and won't ask a senior for advice for fear of losing face.

11 hours ago, jacko45k said:

There is a link on the uk Thai embassy website to a company that does the police reports acpo?

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I got my 3rd bank account a couple days ago at Bangkok Bank, it took 20 minutes and was painless. You need to pick your branch carefully

I made an initial enquiry last year and the bank asked for a certificate of residence.Do I get this from immigration or the uk embassy?

I made an initial enquiry last year and the bank asked for a certificate of residence.Do I get this from immigration or the uk embassy?
If in Pattaya you get it from Jomtien immigration 300 baht. Some bank branches only ask for invoices or rental agreement, so its worth asking first before you get your docs together
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I got my 3rd bank account a couple days ago at Bangkok Bank, it took 20 minutes and was painless. You need to pick your branch carefully

Could you just share with us which branch and city you used, along with the documentation required? Would be very useful to others...

Could you just share with us which branch and city you used, along with the documentation required? Would be very useful to others...

Every branch asks for different things, no consistency at all. Because i had 2 accounts already at Krungsi and Kasikorn she wanted to see the passbook for one of those plus passport, plus rental agreement and invoices.This was Bangkok Bank, Second road, Pattaya, at the top of Soi 6

20 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Every branch asks for different things, no consistency at all. Because i had 2 accounts already at Krungsi and Kasikorn she wanted to see the passbook for one of those plus passport, plus rental agreement and invoices.This was Bangkok Bank, Second road, Pattaya, at the top of Soi 6

True about branches different. I went to bangkok bank Sukhumvit. Had an bankhbook with me from from Krungsi. Had lease, my passport with current extension stamp. Also took along the Thai gf because she had an account with that branch. No good. They wanted a letter from my au embassy and also a statement from my au bank (didn't know what that was about). Anyway FAIL.

On way home I dropped into Kasikorn at my local fortune building. No problem. They wanted my passport. Copied my address from lease but didn't seem too interested in that. Didn't want to even look at my bankbook from another bank. I opened a FD account and savings ac as realized they could do it on spot. Paid 300baht for the ATM card. This was all couple weeks ago.

Edited by DrJack54

True about branches different. I went to bangkok bank Sukhumvit. Had an bankhbook with me from from Krungsi. Had lease, my passport with current extension stamp. Also took along the Thai gf because she had an account with that branch. No good. They wanted a letter from my au embassy and also a statement from my au bank (didn't know what that was about). Anyway FAIL.
On way home I dropped into Kasikorn at my local fortune building. No problem. They wanted my passport. Copied my address from lease but didn't seem too interested in that. Didn't want to even look at my bankbook from another bank. I opened a FD account and savings ac as realized they could do it on spot. Paid 300baht for the ATM card. This was all couple weeks ago.
It even varies to who you deal with at a branch, which the lady said to me yesterday. I realised a good thing when she was being so helpful so i quickly went home got my docs and came back and she sorted me out straight away
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, ian carman said:

That is what I meant by only 30 days to get bank account 

Yes I understood that, someone else did not. 

And plenty of instances of people struggling to get that account. It is no longer 2005 when I got mine. 

• Thanks 1