Woman falls down manhole on way to work

snoop1130

Woman falls down manhole on way to work

By The Nation

fc3956589779369f3e8a3dec152f0f35.jpeg

Photo Courtesy of JS100 traffic radio station

A 23-year-old woman fell down a manhole while walking to work with her co-workers on Tuesday morning near Bangkok’s Ratchadapisek subway station.

JS100 traffic radio station reported that Jetnipit (last name withheld) called the station for help at 8.37am, when she found herself plunged in 3-metre-deep foul-smelling, polluted water in the drain. A food vendor and motorcycle taxi driver helped pull the woman out of the drain and dropped her off at Paolo Hospital for treatment. 

Thamrongsak Takowit, chief of Huai Kwang District Office’s Thesakit law-enforcing division, told JS100 at 11am that he had inspected the scene and coordinated with the city’s drainage office to fix it. JS100 checked the site an hour later and reported that the broken manhole cover had been repaired.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30371306

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-06-18

6 minutes ago, monkeycu said:

Lucky it wasn't me falling in

It would have taken a crane to lift my fat arse out ????

Well, looking at the photo of the narrow hole, I doubt that your fat arse would have been able to slip into it in the first place ???? ???? 

5 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Well, looking at the photo of the narrow hole, I doubt that your fat arse would have been able to slip into it in the first place ???? ???? 

Yes you are quite right, but oh the embarrassment, having to be dragged out of the ????

3 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

Maybe on her phone messaging not looking where she was walking, who knows ?

At Northrop Grumman, a big USA aerospace defense company, "distracted walking incidents" are now the most common work place "accidents". 

9 hours ago, arithai12 said:

how can anyone not see that hole in full daylight, esp. if the plastic cone and green chair were there? If she was glued to her phone, as I suspect, then well deserved.

I suspect the "protective" devices were installed after the fact - reactive not proactive.

No I reckon the cone and chair were placed there after she fell. These man hole covers are all falling apart. It's a wonder what happens to the tax baht in this country! Villas in Phuket I imagine! This is why Thailand will always be a 3rd world country! 

10 hours ago, arithai12 said:

how can anyone not see that hole in full daylight, esp. if the plastic cone and green chair were there? If she was glued to her phone, as I suspect, then well deserved.

perhaps it broke when she stepped on it.  My wife is always telling me not to step on them because of that.

The lack of maintenance of manhole covers is a major problem throughout Bangkok. I have been told to never step on one because it could collapse at any time. Several foreigners have been injured because of this.

Just now, essox essox said:

if you have such then how would you FALL IN ....in the first place?????!!!

Without a solid object i.e. a man hole cover in one piece, maybe gravity would have assisted

10 minutes ago, asiaexpat said:

The lack of maintenance of manhole covers is a major problem throughout Bangkok. I have been told to never step on one because it could collapse at any time. Several foreigners have been injured because of this.

and how does ONE claim compensation for damages...i.e hospital costs (if needed)???

36 minutes ago, rwill said:

perhaps it broke when she stepped on it.  My wife is always telling me not to step on them because of that.

Good advice. But so many of these concrete covers are also crumbling and falling apart around the edges and into the sidewalk. To avoid the potential pit you might fall into, you need sometimes to step out into the street. And who knows what sinkholes are building under those.

14 hours ago, monkeycu said:

Lucky it wasn't me falling in

It would have taken a crane to lift my fat arse out ????

I don't know you sir but maybe your fat arse would of stopped you going down all the way. Not a pretty sight though for passerbys .

Archived