Woman falls down manhole on way to work

snoop1130

1 hour ago, asiaexpat said:

The lack of maintenance of manhole covers is a major problem throughout Bangkok. I have been told to never step on one because it could collapse at any time. Several foreigners have been injured because of this.

Because they were not looking where they were going?

24 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:
1 hour ago, asiaexpat said:

The lack of maintenance of manhole covers is a major problem throughout Bangkok. I have been told to never step on one because it could collapse at any time. Several foreigners have been injured because of this.

Because they were not looking where they were going?

situational awareness is not a "forte" in society. hence so many accidents

15 hours ago, SammyT said:

I always thought I was a bit OCD deliberately not stepping on these things for this exact reason. I feel vindicated now.

You are. My wife taught me never to walk on these things and I always avoid them. Didn't a Bangkok governor fall down one a few years ago while out with reporters showing how safe it was to walk the streets?

When in Bangkok or Samui, I never look ahead. I always keep my attention fixed on the ground, and just look ahead peripherally. The sidewalks are such a hazard. Manholes, holes in the concrete, uneven surfaces, rocks, pieces of wood, trash, uneven tiles, and more. There are enough hazards to cause injury and one must be on guard constantly. Public safety is just not something the authorities care one iota about.  

8 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

No, because they collapse under your feet due to poor construction and maintenance.

Exactly why i look and don't step on them or if I do I step on the corners

1 hour ago, toofarnorth said:

Invariably they are looking at a piece of media in their hands , crossing roads , walking along pavements , riding scooters , media comes first.

Unless of course they have to have one eye on the ground and the other at head height to check for street vendor  metal frame covers at eye  level, metal signs at head height and any other amount of dangerous crap.

13 hours ago, arithai12 said:

how can anyone not see that hole in full daylight, esp. if the plastic cone and green chair were there? If she was glued to her phone, as I suspect, then well deserved.

Ever thought about the possibility that they put that there after the fact. 

Other news said the fell through the cover.

16 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

Maybe on her phone messaging not looking where she was walking, who knows ?

That is not the point.

The pavements should be strong enough to support the weight of 2 or 3 obese farangs or 7 to 8 skinny thais.

copy from the O/P.

Thamrongsak Takowit, chief of Huai Kwang District Office’s Thesakit law-enforcing division, told JS100 at 11am that he had inspected the scene and coordinated with the city’s drainage office to fix it. JS100 checked the site an hour later and reported that the broken manhole cover had been repaired.

Strange that they could fix it within  an hour but left it in a poor condition for years prior to the accident.

13 hours ago, arithai12 said:

how can anyone not see that hole in full daylight, esp. if the plastic cone and green chair were there? If she was glued to her phone, as I suspect, then well deserved.

Perhaps the photo was taken after the accident. There seems to be a cop or a city official in the first picture.

45 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Woman falls down manhole on way to work

Personhole, surely.

The reason they are called manholes is that no women would want a job that involve going down one or through one? 

16 hours ago, arithai12 said:

I was falling down in one in Pattaya. No plastic cones or anything to mark it. I was not looking at my phone, I had my eyes on an angry dog in the middle of the street. 

As a smart guy you should know to never blame the victim, especially not when you do not know the real circumstances. 

20 hours ago, wisperone said:

Walking on Thai sidewalks can be hazardous to your health. Especially in the dark. Same goes for Vietnam.

Memories of Yangon: missing manhole covers and blackout of the city. Was best not to venture out at night.

9 hours ago, billd766 said:

How do you know she was on the phone?

You are correct, she wasn't and the news story as told in this article is not entirely correct!

In the Thai news stories it's mentioned that the cover collapsed.

That makes more sense, since normally you would see a big hole like this, unless you are looking to your phone ????

So many answers suggests she didn't see the hole. To me it looks like she may have stepped on a plate that was about to break.

From memory I can point at three such manholes with partially broken plates less than 5 minutes on foot from my condo. Of course it takes a condo's management complaint or someone getting hurt for repairs to take place.

On 6/18/2019 at 6:43 AM, Jane Dough said:

Is it possible for a man to fall down a womanhole?

Rooster

You don't want to come across this womanhole...

A woman walks into a saloon and stands on a chair.

"Fellas! My p***y is so big that I'll give $100 to anyone who has something that I can't take." A big cowboy gets up and takes off his size 16 cowboy boots and shoves them into her p***y. The boots are sucked right in. He grabs a flashlight and, that too, is sucked in. He puts his face in between her legs to get a better look and he gets sucked in. Inside he hears noises.

"Is someone else in here?" he asks.

"Yeah, I've been in here for a week," the voice says.

"Help me find my flashlight and we can get out of here," the cowboy says.

"Hell," says the other man, "help me find my keys and we can drive out."

Archived