Rats. Big, shoe-sized rats all over my condo grounds.

Rats are everywhere. I find that periodically they do get worse when construction works occur at nearby properties and they are flushed out of those areas. You will never get rid of them but try undertaking some easy remedies eg. increased pest control service, take away any obvious sources of food, install a fleet of condo cats (Underfed ones).

Running down Sukhumvit early morning they are everywhere, but there are clear distinctions between rats and areas of cleanliness. Run down the back streets where it is generally cleaner there are far fewer, run where all the bars, restaurants and assorted floatsum hang around and you are nearly tripping over the things. I just tend to ignore them now.

My condo has seen an uptick recently but they are redeveloping the next door plot. We also have an overfed fleet of cats who dont seem to have the killer instinct!

52 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

I read once that in New York City you are never more than 10 feet away from a rat.

We have rats come in from the field every time they plough the fields up.

I heard in Ireland a foot and a half, away

Thanks to Billd776 and Thaibunny for your clever contributions -- a welcome departure from the usual Thai Visa tirades. You have inspired me to update the Hamelin pest (and child) control experience via a Google search, and I'm pleased to report that there is an actual Hamelin Pest Control Company located, strangely, in Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico. That's charming. Literate pest control professionals are something the world needs more of. Nothing on their website on what actions they will take if you don't pay your bill; and sorry, Senior TV Member 4675636b596f75, they don't provide services in Thailand.

On a more serious note, I have a friend who thinks a lot -- probably more than he should -- about rats, and he tells me that these are field rats which temporarily abandon their customary habitat because of the rains.

14 hours ago, smutcakes said:

We also have an overfed fleet of cats who dont seem to have the killer instinct!

You need one of mine then.  I call them my lovely, furry, little murderers.

I have not seen any rats although I am sure there must be some. While pets are forbidden at the development I do see 2-3 cats that are on the thin side.I am sure they keep things in check. 

3 hours ago, weelegs said:

and he tells me that these are field rats which temporarily abandon their customary habitat because of the rains.

That was my first thought when I saw the Title post.   ....

Sorry, I have no suggestions on how to get rid of them. We use the wax bars and pellets but that only works in a confined area........ 

17 hours ago, billd766 said:

There was a guy in Hamelin, Germany a few years ago who was an absolute wizard at getting rid of rats. 

I am not sure if he is available, but he may be on the internet or perhaps on Facebook or Twitter.

Try a Google search under the surname Piper that should pull up his business information... lol lol 

But some rat traps.  I see the wire metal box traps for sale at many stores.  Or the glue pads.  Google rat traps.  It's fun.   I ate rat near udon thani.  I guess it was a real delicacy.  I grossed out on the tail bits. It was cooked in a stew.   Skin still on and bones.  I watched the road side lady take the rat over to the hot coals and burn off the fur.   I rather eat than insects.  I guess many people set snare traps on rice paddies near harvest time for extra money.   The Forest rats fetch top $.  

Archived