Tesco could open 750 new convenience stores in Thailand over medium term

webfact

Tesco could open 750 new convenience stores in Thailand over medium term

2019-06-18T122134Z_1_LYNXNPEF5H11F_RTROPTP_4_TESCO-OUTLOOK.JPG

FILE PHOTO: A Tesco supermarket is seen, in west London on September 30, 2008. REUTERS/Toby Melville/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) - Tesco, Britain's biggest retailer, said on Tuesday it could grow its business in Thailand by opening 750 new convenience stores in the medium term.

The group currently trades from 1,583 convenience stores in the Asian country.

The possible store expansion was detailed at the group's Capital Markets Day presentation to analysts and investors, which is focusing on "untapped value opportunities".

(Reporting by James Davey, Editing by Paul Sandle)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-06-19

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Youlike said:

Thailand needs 750 Aldi supermarkets to get real pricing....they will be half price of the Tesco's...

Yeah great idea... build hundreds of western stores so you can buy all the things you loved so much at home

why not just transform Asia into a western copy town.

I came here for the change, not interested in turning it into what I left behind!

2 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Yeah great idea... build hundreds of western stores so you can buy all the things you loved so much at home

I came here for the change, not interested in turning it into what I left behind!

They provide stable long term employment for Thai people as the economy changes from agricultural to industrial.  Same thing happened in the West.  Less people can produce more food on the farms so employment needs to be provided for the displaced workers.  

3 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

They provide stable long term employment for Thai people as the economy changes from agricultural to industrial

The reason the agricultural economy is crashing is because the large western mega-stores kill the farmers to get the cheap prices into the stores.

I'd rather see Thai entrepreneurs opening Thai/Asian businesses into Thailand rather than impoting western stores who will only kill the local markets & small businesses who actually employ more more eople!

3 hours ago, madmen said:

Great, I live lower sukhumvit where stores like villa market are ripping of farang so now I just order from tesco online , a fraction of the cost of villa market and tops

Villa Markets in Udon Thani no longer accept direct debits so they've lost me! 

48 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

If only you could buy the things you do in Tesco back home, racks of noodles, canned fish, chilli sauces and over priced wine is not quite the same

Thailand is the America of the 20th century.
about 12,000 7/11, about 1,583 Tesco, about 100 Makro, about 700 Big C, about 1,200 Family Mart, and ... and ... and
Star Bucks, McDonalds, KFC, Swensens, Makro, 7/11, Family Mart, Watson and many others.
You are covering your beautiful country with foreign businesses, it is practically a sell-out of the country!

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

The reason the agricultural economy is crashing is because the large western mega-stores kill the farmers to get the cheap prices into the stores.

I'd rather see Thai entrepreneurs opening Thai/Asian businesses into Thailand rather than impoting western stores who will only kill the local markets & small businesses who actually employ more more eople!

Little do you know how much farmers are getting paid by Thai agro corps such as a the big one that owns Makro and 7-11. Its Thai corporations killing local businesses, not foreign. But if you like to believe that propaganda....

56 minutes ago, Youlike said:

Thailand needs 750 Aldi supermarkets to get real pricing....they will be half price of the Tesco's...

Aside the fact that they are more expensive than Big C in general, with less choice of products, Tesco-Lotus suffers from a terrible management style. In the 10 years I've been living in Thailand, they turned from my favourite to my least favourite supermarket. Among other things, in my local branch they reduced selling surface, reduced the number of staff, reduced the choice of fresh products and ready-made meals, emptied and closed down rows of freezers. They are having lines at check-out counters all the time, with inexperienced staff working with old, even defective equipment. Old and defective equipment also used inside the supermarket, with working staff meetings taking place often in the selling area during opening time, with storekeepers going back and forth, hampering the way with their pallets all the time. Not to mention about the humiliating way they treat their own staff in both supermarkets and convenience stores. Before thinking about opening new convenience stores, Tesco-Lotus should concentrate on improving the service in their supermarkets, IMHO. Personally I started being dissatisfied with Tesco-Lotus about 6 years ago, when I noticed a sharp change in their management style. I stopped buying systematically from Tesco-Lotus about 3 years ago, although I live nearby the local Tesco-Lotus supermarket but not so near the local Big C. It is true that Thailand needs better competition in this field, especially after the demise of Carrefour. It would need also some serious authority to monitor prices and pricing policies in supermarkets, and a strong national consumers' association.

8 minutes ago, SoilSpoil said:

Little do you know how much farmers are getting paid by Thai agro corps such as a the big one that owns Makro and 7-11. Its Thai corporations killing local businesses, not foreign. But if you like to believe that propaganda....

I'd be interested to read about this. Any links available or suggestions of where to look? I'm pretty sure the 7-11 stores are mostly CP which is Chinese/Thai owned so even though it's a farang shop front it's not run by the US.

1 hour ago, Chassa said:

Villa Markets in Udon Thani no longer accept direct debits so they've lost me! 

I don't understand this?

They still accept cash, credit cards and VWallet right? What's the problem?

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

I think Tesco's in Thailand are Thai Stores with a Western origin. In my experience ever since they have been in Thailand I would guess as much as 85% of what they sell is for Thai consumption. I would be surprised if Tesco's presence in Thailand has much to do with prospective "Western" customers! I go for a few things that are Tesco branded. The local Tesco Lotus Express stores are little more than copies of 7-elevens with extremely little of anything I would be prepared to partake of!

I try to support the local Thai economy by shopping in my local wet market.  But I end up paying more than I would in a western supermarket. I tell my landlord how much I pay, he pays half. The owners of the stalls just see me as a walking dollar sign, not the nice farang who has been shopping there for the last 3 years. 

2 minutes ago, Sauc said:

I try to support the local Thai economy by shopping in my local wet market.  But I end up paying more than I would in a western supermarket. I tell my landlord how much I pay, he pays half. The owners of the stalls just see me as a walking dollar sign, not the nice farang who has been shopping there for the last 3 years. 

When market stallholders cheat me, I don't go there again!

1 hour ago, 30la said:

Thailand is the America of the 20th century.
about 12,000 7/11, about 1,583 Tesco, about 100 Makro, about 700 Big C, about 1,200 Family Mart, and ... and ... and
Star Bucks, McDonalds, KFC, Swensens, Makro, 7/11, Family Mart, Watson and many others.
You are covering your beautiful country with foreign businesses, it is practically a sell-out of the country!

America, has no Tesco's, no Makro's, No Big C's, and No Family Marts and only one Swensen's in San Francisco. No Watsons. 

What are you talking about?

2 hours ago, Youlike said:

Aldi feeds the UK ,  we need you now more than ever in LOS . gbp=39bht.

1 hour ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

I don't think the powers that be will be happy until Thailand is nothing but shops and condos. No need for nature or entertainment just overpriced condos and crappy processed food. 

Thailand is being westernised  at a pace .

Villa  market is my paradise,  for just browsing and window shopping .

Archived