Tesco could open 750 new convenience stores in Thailand over medium term

webfact

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, habanero said:

America, has no Tesco's, no Makro's, No Big C's, and No Family Marts and only one Swensen's in San Francisco. No Watsons. 

What are you talking about?

And, 7-11 is not much of a presence--at least where I was in northern Virginia.  My small city of 70,000 had just two 7-11s when I lived there, both in the worst parts of the city. The products they sold were very over-priced and you felt almost embarrassed to be seen in one.  What?!  Are you really SO lazy that you can't go to a regular grocery store?!  I think in 35 years I only shopped at the 7-11s maybe a dozen desperate times.  Pity they don't follow Thailand's model of offering prices that are competitive with the grocery stores.

6 hours ago, rodpav said:

Yep really need more convenience stores just not enough around 

I live on Naklua Soi 16, which runs from Naklua Road down to the ocean and deadends.  I can show you two Family Marts that are only about 20 meters from each other--and both on the same side of the street.  I don't know how they both stay in business.

3 hours ago, dave moir said:

A lot of westerners are packing up and leaving Thailand so I would think it a waste anyway opening a load of Tesco's! Far rather open a load of Chinese supermarkets for the hoards of Chinese that are supposedly coming!

That's a good point.  Since I'm sure Lotus's marketing dept is more astute at population shifts than you it that must mean Farang are actually not leaving Thailand.  

On 6/19/2019 at 8:15 AM, 30la said:

Thailand is the America of the 20th century.
about 12,000 7/11, about 1,583 Tesco, about 100 Makro, about 700 Big C, about 1,200 Family Mart, and ... and ... and
Star Bucks, McDonalds, KFC, Swensens, Makro, 7/11, Family Mart, Watson and many others.
You are covering your beautiful country with foreign businesses, it is practically a sell-out of the country!

Yup, and they throw their trash in the street. 

On 6/19/2019 at 7:17 AM, hotchilli said:

Yeah great idea... build hundreds of western stores so you can buy all the things you loved so much at home

why not just transform Asia into a western copy town.

I came here for the change, not interested in turning it into what I left behind!

The change started when westerners such as yourself started coming here and it is not going to stop. 

44 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Agreed - and endorsed by the 200 metres of fish cooking oil and noodles.

Any shop that doesn't stock Marmite is treating the westerners with a heavy hint of disdain !! ????

That's Vegemite, cobber, not Marmite.

20 hours ago, newnative said:

I live on Naklua Soi 16, which runs from Naklua Road down to the ocean and deadends.  I can show you two Family Marts that are only about 20 meters from each other--and both on the same side of the street.  I don't know how they both stay in business.

You have to see the situation in Samui, an intersection and at every corner a shop, 2 7/11, 1 Family Mart and a Tesco expess.
On the road from Bophut to Maenam I had counted a few years ago 8 Family and 6 7/11, they probably increased now!

3 hours ago, newatthis said:

It's not slumming. It's just a choice between Tesco and Big C.

Unfortunately they are not concurrent, they sell the same stuff for the same price. 7/11 and Family Mart work the same way!

53 minutes ago, 30la said:

Unfortunately they are not concurrent, they sell the same stuff for the same price. 7/11 and Family Mart work the same way!

Yes, but unfortunately that's the only choice available here unless you include Makro which sells the same stuff but in bigger quantities. 

On 6/19/2019 at 7:20 AM, marcusarelus said:

Less people can produce more food on the farms so employment needs to be provided for the displaced workers.  

As they use a lot more chemicals to grow the food, maximising profits and doing nothing for nutrition!

17 hours ago, newnative said:

I live near there but not on that soi.

Pleasant part of naklua.

Is it soi 16/1 that has the Lotus Express store with 7/11 very nearby as well as a Family Mart opposite?

On 6/19/2019 at 6:54 AM, Youlike said:

Thailand needs 750 Aldi supermarkets to get real pricing....they will be half price of the Tesco's...

That would seriously undercut profitability of a Thai company busy in the same market, dont think that will happen.

22 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

That's a good point.  Since I'm sure Lotus's marketing dept is more astute at population shifts than you it that must mean Farang are actually not leaving Thailand.  

In April 2019 PH Immigration counted 2917 new expats ex Thailand.........

7 hours ago, Benroon said:

Agreed - and endorsed by the 200 metres of fish cooking oil and noodles.

Any shop that doesn't stock Marmite is treating the westerners with a heavy hint of disdain !! ????

What about Daddies Sauce?

Such a horrible retailer.

I only shop at big Tesco bc I'm in that mall.

Now, competing with 711 on effiency and Max Walue on quality of goods and experience.

Sure are genius at losing money.

Tesco is a really droll experience for me. Can't think of any retailer I like less.

Tesco is the Family Mart of big retailers.

I saw a 711 move right next to FM. In 18 months the FM folded, literally closed shop. I love 7, Max and Big C. Nothing will get me into a Tesco short of just being there to pick up stuff.

On 6/19/2019 at 7:27 AM, hotchilli said:

The reason the agricultural economy is crashing is because the large western mega-stores kill the farmers to get the cheap prices into the stores.

I'd rather see Thai entrepreneurs opening Thai/Asian businesses into Thailand rather than impoting western stores who will only kill the local markets & small businesses who actually employ more more eople!

I am retired on Koh Samui with my Thai partner.

Yes we have Tesco, Big C and Macro here and 7/11s every hundred meters BUT - we buy as much as we can off small local people.  We support that local economy as much as we can.  We are well off enough to tip moderately and the rewards are there.  We get fantastic local produce and service wherever we go.  We are PART of the local community and get good friendship.

We avoid 7/11s like the plague - being well aware of the staff's scamming skills.

We only visit the big national chains when we cannot buy local items.

This is why I came to Thailand to retire - to be part of this community and , if you work at it, you can enjoy it.

On 6/19/2019 at 9:20 AM, Sauc said:

I try to support the local Thai economy by shopping in my local wet market.  But I end up paying more than I would in a western supermarket. I tell my landlord how much I pay, he pays half. The owners of the stalls just see me as a walking dollar sign, not the nice farang who has been shopping there for the last 3 years. 

Very aware of that.  That's why My Thai partner shops in front of me and we have established good relationships with local shop-owners who KNOW they will never see us again if they try to scam us.  We also tip regularly and moderately and they know that.  It's all part of being part of the community.

On 6/19/2019 at 7:34 AM, Nice Boyd said:

Those stores are always cluttered and filthy, I never go...

Oh really. Where I live in Issan, the Tesco Supermarkets at Khon Kaen, Nong Rua and Chumphae are clean, bright and well displayed - no problems for me! However, on few occasions, I do find the restocking of shelves during normal shopping hours a little frustrating when there is difficulty reaching the zone I want.  

Archived